Skip navigation

Is Power steering fitted as standard? 89 Clipper

Back to the top

Is Power steering fitted as standard? 89 Clipper

Just wondering if somebody could shed some light on an issue I have with the steering.

Basically bought the car a few weeks back and one of the things listed by the seller was that the car had power steering. It does indeed have power steering but i'm wondering did this model ever come with power steering fitted as standard?

The reason i'm asking is i'm thinking of disabling the power steering if you can.

The car had a whinning sound coming from under the bonnet when I bought it, I thought must be somthing simple like the alternator or water pump so I took it to my local garage who said it was the cam belt..?? So as you can imagine I bricked myself as you do when anything gets mentioned about dodgy cam belts and booked it in for a cam belt change.

So I goes to pick the car up the day after and he said that it in fact wasnt the cam belt making the whinning noise and after eliminating the water pump and alternator said my power steering pump was the culprit, although it wasnt knackered and needed replacing it is just very noisy.

Is this guy talking bull****?

I'm trying to restore the car back to its original state(apart from some new alloys) so is it possible to disable a power steering pump and just run the car without?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Thanks
Mark

Back to the top
Just an update.

I'm currently at work and as I came in the golf for the 1st time i've had one or two of the lads admiring it. One fella in particular he's one of the hgv drivers says he dosent buy any other make of car other than VW.

I told him about the whinning noise and he said pop the hood and fire it up, within 5 seconds he's like 'who told you it was the power steering pump?' I told him it was the local mechanic.

Of course he just laughed and said remind me not to goto him if i've got owt wrong. The power steering pump is fine its your alternator.

So ive gone from Cam Belt to Water pump to power steering pump now i'm at the Alternator stage.  :dontknow: I guess i'm learning slowly.

lol

Fun times.

still ive only got 2 hours of my shift to go and I get to drive her home  :P

Back to the top
Power steering is a very rare option on cabrios.
Why would you want to disconnect it?
If you did decide to get rid of it then get another rack and sell the complete power rack!!

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
No its not that I want to get rid of it, I was just wondering if it came fitted as standard.

I'm just trying to figure out what the whinning problem is. I reckon the lad at work could be right so the alternator needs looking at not the power steering after all.

Back to the top
Prob best to find a local firm that does recon work with alternators and let them have a look. They will be able to tell you if it's that or something else.
 :)

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
Before you buy a new alternator just try spraying a little WD40 on the belt where it goes around the crank and alternator pulleys.

Back to the top
I tried the old WD40 but made no difference. Been speaking to that fella at work again and he has pointed me in the direction of a local auto electrician who he uses, says he is good and will refurb so i'll nip in to see him over the weekend.

Back to the top
Hope this cures it mate, if not then maybe the waterpump is on it's way out, but this is a cheap and easy job! :)

Projekt Frustration :

Back to the top
Methinks Power Steering was NEVER fitted to UK spec (RHD) Mk1 Golfs…..

although TSR Performance get a mention in the Haynes Restoration Manual as supplying a RHD Power Steering Rack kit, they don't appear to list it on their site anymore…..

…. Crazyquiff was also looking at producing a kit soon…hows it going Rich??

I would think that a Mk2 Golf power steering pump would fit if you Did need one…I'll jave to check my parts list.

I would also think that your steering would be excessively heavy if the pump isn't working (like when the engine is stopped!) so I would think it would act similarly if the system was disconnected.

If you're thinking of removing the system entirely and putting in a manual rack…plse let me know …at least put the system in the "for sale" section of this forum and keep it in the family! (see link below)…

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=72041

Cheers

Mk1 GTI
B5 Passat Estate 5 SPeed
Riley 1071"S" Elf Mk2  (Bl**dy Hooligan machine!)
Bosch Lawnraker 32

Back to the top
pas was never a std fit option from the factory, however there were companies that did it at the time. you could also order this kit thru the dealer, but they sent it to one of these companies that did the conversion for them, it wasnt a proper VAG kit.  I believe some VAG parts were used from a MK2 Golf though?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I've got power steering on my '87 Cab and its a dream! When the engine isn't running though its as if the front wheels are set in concrete - much heavier than a standard set up.

I think I have an invoice for the conversion in the car's history file and without looking at the exact figure, was over a ?1000 back in 1987.

Jason

'82 G40 conversion & '87 Cab

Back to the top
I'd kill for some power steering.  My wheel snapped back on me the other day and I thought Id broke my wrist.  Come on Crazy Quiffs bring on your creation!!

Back to the top
Hi all

So after buying a replacement alternator last month I still have the same problem :(

Its still whinning like crazy, it sounds god awfull.

Now it can only be one of two things, either the power steering pump or the water pump. Whilst I had the belts off during my alternator change I fired her up for a few seconds and no whinning to be heard anywhere so its gotta be one or the other.

So has anyone got any idea how I can figure out which it is? The belt goes round both so its not possible to run one without the other. I checked the pullys on both and there didnt seem to be any play so i'm stumped at how I can test them.  :dontknow:

Back to the top
When I were a lad one could buy an "Emergency" Fan Belt from your local friendly Motor Accessory Shop.  I believe they are still available! You could cut it to fit the longest run (C/shaft Pulley to Alternator) and check that, then re-trim to fit the Water pump pulley…this might help for the price of a couple of quid!!!???

Getting back to the cambelt, you could remove the covers to see if there are any signs that the belt has been "rubbing" against any part of it.

Cheers

Mk1 GTI
B5 Passat Estate 5 SPeed
Riley 1071"S" Elf Mk2  (Bl**dy Hooligan machine!)
Bosch Lawnraker 32

Back to the top
An emergency fanbelt sounds just the job thanks. I'll goto my local accessory shop see if they still do them. If not ill scour ebay, like you say its prob worth spending a couple quid on a belt to diagnose the problem.

I've got the weekend off so hopefully i'll have it figured out come Sunday evening.

Cam belt is fine….Well it seemed to be when I replaced the alternator, I had to remove the upper part of the case to get the bottom bolt of the alternator out. Dunno about the lower half though.

One step at a time :)

Cheers

Back to the top
with the belt off, spin the wter and pas pump pullies by hand, see if either feel rough or make a noise.  also give them a wiggle, if there is lots of movement that = bad.

also check out where the belts pass close to belt covers make sure there are no rubbing marks

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I've had this a problem similar to this. A harsh whining noise that goes completely when you take the belt off, I changed the alternator first and then the water pump and it was still there. It turned out to be the pulley on the intermediate shaft rubbing on the thin metal plate behind it, why it goes when the belt is taken off I'm not sure but it must be that the water pump moves slightly and puts pressure on the plate when the belt is tightened. If it is this you have to take the pulley off and then the metal plate to bend it flat where it rubs.

Back to the top

cedar said

I've had this a problem similar to this. A harsh whining noise that goes completely when you take the belt off, I changed the alternator first and then the water pump and it was still there. It turned out to be the pulley on the intermediate shaft rubbing on the thin metal plate behind it, why it goes when the belt is taken off I'm not sure but it must be that the water pump moves slightly and puts pressure on the plate when the belt is tightened. If it is this you have to take the pulley off and then the metal plate to bend it flat where it rubs.

Really? :D

I hope the problem is as simple as this and if it turns out to be the issue then I owe you a huge electronic handshake, I dont fancy having to pull out for a new power steering pump as they arn't cheap especially this time of year when my pockets are pretty empty. :cry:

Thanks for the advice.

Back to the top

rubjonny said

with the belt off, spin the wter and pas pump pullies by hand, see if either feel rough or make a noise.  also give them a wiggle, if there is lots of movement that = bad.

also check out where the belts pass close to belt covers make sure there are no rubbing marks

Yup tried this when the belts were off during my alternator change and they both felt ok, no movement or any grinding feeling.

cheers.

Back to the top
Did you try the cambelt tensioner?

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.