Skip navigation

Alpine White G60

Back to the top
well heres the new engine, not quite show car quality yet..

work in progress, upside down u turn me…. lol

here it is all ready to drop in

i just had to go with orange, reminds me so much of something chip foose done with a hemi engine ive seen a while ago, i think it looks awsome!!

next job is to attack the engine bay! :unsure:

Back to the top
today i started on the engine bay, i got the brake servo off, drilled out the brakets for the water bottles and also begun my attack on the scuttle panel, got half way then sliced my finger on a sharp piece of metal so called it a day and went A&E to stitch the poop up!  done loads more than whats in the pics but didnt want blood all over my iphone so never took anymore.

wiring out of the way, will be hidden when complete

got the usual mullerd clutch cable hole on the bulk head, do they do repair panels for this? i dont want to use that stick on plate i had before.

Back to the top
today was payback for the scuttle that chopped my finger  :angry:  :angry:

weapons of choice :ph34r:

have some of that scuttle panel! no more sharp bits to injure myself anymore  :D

next step is to get it in bare metal ready for welding, any recommendations? i was thinking nitromorse??

Back to the top
George!  hows it going mate, haven't seen you down the ACE in ages?

Ditching the charger..shame   :dontknow:

Never got to go out in it  :banghead:

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Hi,

First of all - nice motor.

Secondly, I have a question about the wheels, I've just bought some rm12 but notice you said you went for stainless bolts.  Have you got stainless lips as well?  I'm not sure if they're worth the extra cash?  If they'll look good for longer then I'm in.  Also did you have to do anything to your arches for the 1.5" lips?

Cheers…

Back to the top

ManicGTI said

George!  hows it going mate, haven't seen you down the ACE in ages?

Ditching the charger..shame   :dontknow:

Never got to go out in it  :banghead:

better you never, all you would have done is shat yourself anyways lol..

euan, yes stainless bolts and dishes are the only way to go, they last forever, i have polished my dishes all of zero tiimes in two years, all i do is wash them as normal when i clean the car..

as rms are et33 1.5" dish shouldnt rub at all

mine stick out further as they are rs's and are et 25 and my arches are standard, although im going lower so i need to roll em

Back to the top
That's that then - I'm sold.

Seeing as 1.5" will be fine I think I'll try get 2" on the back.  I'm offshore now but when I'm back I think I'll put some pictures up under my own build thread and look forward to what everyone thinks…1983 lhasa green GTI with only 60k miles on the clock…

Thanks for the advice!

Back to the top
wow what an amazing engine!

Nitromors is good stuff for the paint removal, might be tricky in the bay though as it will drip into all the crevices,

i'd go at it with a wire wheel on a drill and on a grinder,

you might be there till April 2013 though.

Back to the top

smillsey said

wow what an amazing engine!

Nitromors is good stuff for the paint removal, might be tricky in the bay though as it will drip into all the crevices,

i'd go at it with a wire wheel on a drill and on a grinder,

you might be there till April 2013 though.

lol no chance, im hitting this hard!

Back to the top
haha,

go at it with the wire wheel!!

You gonna be smoothing??

Back to the top
yes mate, its got to be done!

i have decided to go with yamaha r1 bike carbs :D

Back to the top
got this manifold flange of a mate, notice the injector path deleted, i guess this means bike carbs!
gotta get hold of some 45mm pipe to weld on now

havent done much to the car, just took out the seats  carpets and matrix box ready for welding

Back to the top
what would i need to convert my 1.6 gti golf 1981-2 to bike carbs? im quite new to all this so could need some pointing in the correct direction :)

Back to the top
Nice little thread this!! Shame you had to loose the charged engine, bet that went very well. I've got the 1.8 on bike carbs in mine and it is great fun. You'l love the sound it makes!!
Good work on the engine bay bud! keep it coming.

Back to the top

morrisson101 said

what would i need to convert my 1.6 gti golf 1981-2 to bike carbs? im quite new to all this so could need some pointing in the correct direction :)

carbs a manifold bike fuel pump. you need to get the right jets for your engine and then get it set up, pretty simple really, im unsure if the ignition system will run the engine in yours though best to ask around.

Back to the top

cubed said

Nice little thread this!! Shame you had to loose the charged engine, bet that went very well. I've got the 1.8 on bike carbs in mine and it is great fun. You'l love the sound it makes!!
Good work on the engine bay bud! keep it coming.

charger was great but you cant beat the souund of a RAW engine! thanks for the comments, yours looks great too, i love old skool colours like the blue on yours.

i have now stripped the dash out and one of the wings, got some pipe for the manifold and dropped it with a pal to fabricate for me..

i was going to strip the underseal on the inner wings but it looks rock solid all over so im going to leave it, just apply wax where i stripped off the underseal to remove the wings.

Back to the top
Yeah its probably better to leave the underseal if its all intact. I came to that decision with mine. Better to leave well alone.
Nice to see your cracking on..

Back to the top
hi mate, as said by others shame about lossing charger,
but, your car looks very good with  the rims.
I think mk1 look special in alpine white.

p.s. if you ever need a hand with work on the car just pm
i'm ok with spanner & live close to Potter's Bar.
Alan

Back to the top
thanks for the offer dude but i enjoy doing the work myself though.

heres some of the welding that needs to be done

battered the indentation on the innner wing out

best inner wings ive seen on a mk1 ever

first thing my mates say when they see this is, i hope you know what your doing… lol

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.