Skip navigation

NEC Classic car Show 13, 14,15th November 2009

Back to the top

NEC Classic car Show 13, 14,15th November 2009

Yet again we have been fortunate enough to be offered a stand at the Classic Car Show 2009 at the NEC, Birmingham.
The show will run from Friday 13th November and over the weekend of 14 &15th, concluding on Sunday evening.

The stand will allow for a maximum of 4/5 cars (to be confirmed) and the theme this year will be…..
50 Years Of The Motorway
Or
The Joys Of The Open Road
It is up to the stand organisers how to best interpretate that theme.

For example, when the motorways were opened there were
1.   No speed limits
2.   No traffic jams
3.   No Armco barriers
4.   No service stations
5.   Probably no traffic cones either!!!!
So it?s up to us to construct a stand that would show a theme along that line or one that would follow the ?open road?.

I would suggest as we did last year, the following examples on the stand,
1. Early series1 1974 /75 build date.
2. Early GTi series1.
3. Series 2 Hard Top .
4. Early Series 1 Cabriolet
5. Later Cabriolet / Clipper / Series 2 (Gti/non Gti depending on 4)

But as the theme is also ?The Joys Of The Open Road? we could have a stand FULL of cabriolets???!!!

NB: ALL display cars will HAVE to be in position on Thursday night (12th) and will not be allowed to leave before the end of the show on Sunday. Please bear that in mind when you volunteer your services as hotel accommadation will/may need to be sought.

If anyone is able to assist in covering the stand for so visitors can talk to the owners/ drivers of our cars then please post up too. The more of us there are, the less time we have to spend covering the stand each.

Here is the link
Welcome | Classic Motor Show

Dan

Back to the top
It's a while away but I'll be up for a stand place so that's the late Cabby GTI sorted.

T

Back to the top
My later Series 2 GTi is available if you want it for the stand

Dave

Back to the top
A5OPY and I have been mulling over the theme tonight, we wondered about creating an 'accident scene' with various areas pointed to for information. Dates of drink drive law, seat belt legislation etc.

CQ could we 'borrow' an old car without a windscreen?

Blue lights, tape, reflective jackets can be sourced but we'd need a couple of manequins. Any 'Suits You Sir' members out there?

Back to the top
Dan, put me down for S1 GTi if required, cheers

Banner

Back to the top
OK,
There looks like there's enough interest to fill a stand again so I'll fill in the necessary paperwork and return it once I've got all the details together.

I'd really like to to something that will stand out against the line up of other manufacturers cars. I've have a couple of pm's and just mulling over the best way to do it.

Keep the offers coming and I'll see what can fit in where.

Thanks, Dan

Back to the top
Not sure how date of legislation changes such as drink driving, seat belts relates to the themes of 50yrs of motorway or joys of driving?

If you don't invest a fair amount of time and money putting on a decent themed stand it can look a poor effort and a waste of resources.

For a Joys of Open Road theme I would focus more on the GTi and cabrios.

Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
Rajan that sounds good to me. It's true, that if there isn't a major effort it will look lake a Primary School production from the 70's. Not sure whet the budget is for this, we'll have to look at some figures from Wendy and discuss it in the Committee section.

ON a positive note, I think this thread would be a good place to get some ideas and feedback going from the Members. Come on chaps, it's a pretty open brief. So far Rajan's take on it, budget permitting sounds promising!

T

Back to the top
Firstly, how much space do we have? If the same as last year, you will not get 5 cars on the stand plus your props! Very few clubs have a themed, dressed stand due to the cost and space. The majority of stands are quite professional (eg lighting, staging, displays) or let's say "entry level" like ours! It would be great if we could afford to make the stand a bit more professional and invest some money in materials that could be used year on year at various shows rather than blow a wedge on a one off.

Banner

Back to the top
if the theme is "Joys of Driving", then you need some Large posters printed and hang them on the stand with Mk1's being driven around scenic parts of Britain, similar to the one below, but better quality……..

Back to the top
I still say, static shows are pretty boring all told and to make a difference, you need to have either the cars driving around, or a practical demo of some kind. WIth driivng out of the question, how about practical DIY tasks demo? Nothing dodgy like fuel tank removal or welding, but normal tasks. It was poo-poo'd last time due to health and safety, but at the same show, there was a demo of metalwork using a wheel, to produce shaped panels.

Back to the top

dubboy said

Firstly, how much space do we have?

Got the answer today…….

12m x 9m =108sqmtrs.

I can't even visualise that without measuring it out first. Rajan, do you have any idea from last year as to how what size we had then.

I've never been to this show so can't pitch in at what is good or bad about it but some more ideas would be good.

Gammy, your pictures look good, how would they be displayed, any thoughts?

Back to the top
Woo hoo - amazing pic Gammy!!  :lol:

Mk1 GTI Rivage Cabby Mk3 GTI Anniversary

Back to the top
Dano, just looked at my info from 2005 classic show. Stand space we had allotted was 11.5 x 8 metres. I drew out four cars in the space on CAD - they fitted but it was tight.

We had 3 in the end;

You would fit four but may be a little tight? (Not 100% sure though if our stand ended up a bit smaller too so pic may be deceiving?)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
50 Years Of The Motorway

Stand could have the following 4 cars to show what has been cruising the motorways since its creation .   

First Mk1 ever [earliest standard example available] .   

1800 GTi in standard trim around 1983 [to show what the competition had to beat] .

Cabriolet in standard trim  [top down carefree motorway cruising] .

Vastly modified MK1 with powerful engine [to show what can cruise the motorway today] .

Theme could be 'Volkswagen Golf Mk1 hard to keep up with on any Motorway'

Back to the top

chudd said

50 Years Of The Motorway

Stand could have the following 4 cars to show what has been cruising the motorways since its creation .   

1800 GTi in standard trim around 1983 [to show what the competition had to beat] .

Vastly modified MK1 with powerful engine [to show what can cruise the motorway today] .

chudd…….

THAT'S BRILLIANT!!!  :lol:

I like that idea a lot.

dubboy - S1, early hard top???
                      • Standard GTI, hard top
                      • Standard cabriolet,
                      • Modified?

Back to the top

Dano said

chudd said

50 Years Of The Motorway

chudd…….

THAT'S BRILLIANT!!!  :lol:

I like that idea a lot.

dubboy - S1, early hard top???
                      • Standard GTI, hard top
                      • Standard cabriolet,
                      • Modified?

Yep I agree I like that idea - dont forget the family 5dr model tho….

Back to the top
Yea good idea  :D  The early model could be a 5 door with a small engine?

Also what about staggering them the stand so they look like they are traveling on a motorway?

Or poss a nice Diesel instead of a modified car?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
A 5 door diesel? Do we know anyone who owns one in great condition?
 :wink:

'Calling Bert, calling Bert!!!!'

The modern modified engine would be an interesting twist too.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.