Skip navigation

Price guide

Back to the top

Price guide

AsSeenOnTV said

SEAN1151 said

As its name implies its a guide,so it doesn`t really need updating.Practical Classics has a mint condition mk1 as ?3500,I paid a lot more than that for mine so the guide didn`t help me,as said trillions of times "its only worth what you`re willing to pay for it"  a bit like ebay really :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don't want to butt in guys but I'm in the market for a Mk1 and to be honest I wouldn't expect a guide to be accurate. Isn't that why it's called a GUIDE? Surely prices fluctuate all the time, values go up and down and location also plays a big part in what you can expect to pay not to mention scene tax, speed of sale and so on…

Anyway I'll be using it and I'm grateful to whoever put it together, top marks from me.

:lol:

Couldn't agree more.  When buying mine I used it as exaclty that… a guide.  I didn't really use monitary figures.  If you look around you can see a concourse one is worth x ?'s… so an A1 condition is worth a percentage of that… a good standard is worth a percentage of that… it's a rough guide and did help me out.

It simply can't be updated constantly as the market for mk1's changes quickly, external factors like credit crunch and the recesion play a big part etc.

If it was changed now it'd be inaccurate within a few months as the recession bites harder or releases its grasp a bit… you'd constantly revisist it.

I did and still would use it as a guide as it did help me when looking.  :wink:

Back to the top
i was just getting more at people jumping on the mk1 bandwagon and wanting silly prices. the car im on about maybe woultn be as bad if it had MOT but ?2000 for a 1979 car with no mot is quite silly really? id expect the price to b around the guide price (obviously not everyone is on here) but to be nearly 3 times the guide price is a little silly

Back to the top
so a guides a guide even though it's out of date?

Back to the top

thelittleredroosterboy said

Surely any guide could be said to be out of date, circumstances depending in a matter of days after it's published.

Just depends matey.

T :dontknow:

Back to the top

who says its out of date? how do you know?? :dontknow:

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Because prices don't stay static forever. They can go up, down and sideways over a period of time. For example the Stanley Gibbons, a price guide for stamps, the guide is updated periodically and prices change according to market forces. If you were a stamp collector, you wouldn't refer to the 1968 editon would you?

Back to the top
Users posting from this IP address

thelittleredroosterboy [ 10 Posts ]

golf1 [ 6 Posts ]

:wink:  :mrgreen:  :roll:

Back to the top

Stanley Gibbons

Cor that takes me back, I wonder if my mum still has my stamp collection?

T :lol:

Back to the top
Its pretty clear that as time progresses, the price guide will become less accurate, ie more of a guide and less of a reference. Its also fair to say that statistically, there is a % 'chance' that the prices have gone down then up, or up then down, so they're now the same - but not really likely.

There's plenty of other areas of the car market where a price guide doesn't exist and people (for example prospective buyers) need to do their homework and look at prices over a period of time, scan Autotrader, classifieds, end prices (with bids) of eBay, etc. so if the club were to update and provide a price guide, it would be a "bonus".

The fact that its remained and that there's been no strong call for the club to update it, or anyone coming forwards and producing a better one, speaks for itself really.

Back to the top

paul_c said

The fact that its remained and that there's been no strong call for the club to update it, or anyone coming forwards and producing a better one, speaks for itself really.

Well said that man .

Back to the top
It just that most users on this site are using the guide as a "bible" for values of mk1 golfs, therefore it should be updated or disregarded.

Back to the top

It just that most users on this site are using the guide as a "bible" for values of mk1 golfs, therefore it should be updated or disregarded.

Most car enthusiasts/members, don't buy or sell their car that often.

Back to the top
Thats besides the point, the fact is dubboy's guide is refered to constantly. I'm not attacking dubboy's efforts just highlighting the fact that it needs updating on a regular basis, say every 6 months or yearly. How old is that guide anyway?

Back to the top

I'd like to know where you get this information from? I suspect it's made up mate.

T :roll:

Back to the top
This price guide could do with some good PR,any offers :lol:  :lol:

and as for Stanley Gibbons…it`s all philately to me :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
As likeminded individuals with vested interests would it be possible to setup a "current average market price" guide using the existing guide categories but updated when buying or selling with what prices people have actually paid (or sold at) and their honest assessment of condition, to give an average value at any given time?

Then we would know when is a good time to buy/sell ??

:P

The cynic in me says that all our cars are actually worth a lot less than we think in the long run because sooner or later they will be outdated and completely impractical to own or run….(ahhh the eternal optimism of youth!!)

Back to the top
Here is my golden rule when buying and selling a car whether it be a mk1 or a reliant robin

Selling a car
Try get as much as you can this is easily discovered keep putting it up for sale at a price you are happy to part with it for, if its to dear you aint going to sell it so the price will have to be adjusted down till a buyer bites.

buying a car
find the type of car you want, see if it matches your bank balance and offer less than the asking price by say 10%-15%.

This simple guide has been my bible for selling and buying for the last 25yrs and so far i have always found the right car at the right price…

You dont need a price guide as everyone values their cars differently….

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
The best guide to price is to monitor what prices similar mk1s having been selling for in the past month or so, that would give you the "market price" so to speak.

The problem is, I suppose, for prices of an s1 which don't come up for sale as often. The sellers, with a much rarer and arguably desirable mk1, have the luxury of going for whatever price they wish!! And on that basis you can't really complain.

Remember, where not communists!!

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top
yeah but asking for ?2000 for a car with no mot or tax thats 30 years old is abit extreme whatever car it is.

Back to the top

DannyEss said

yeah but asking for ?2000 for a car with no mot or tax thats 30 years old is abit extreme whatever car it is.

Not if it's rare like a the series 1's are my friend.  Like all cars going into the classic category.  The older, the rarer, the more desirable…. the more money they fetch… MOT or not I'm affraid… just my view  :wink:

I can imagine the first ever mk1 would be worth 5 times that of a concours series 2 even without an MOT… just an example to try and convey what I mean.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.