Skip navigation

No bumpers illegal?

Back to the top

No bumpers illegal?

Sorry not sure its been posted before but i can't seem to find it.
As said in the subject is running your car with not bumpers on public roads illegal?
Thanks Grant

Back to the top
perfectly legal!!  i run with no rear bumper, i just fear someone tapping me from behind and bending my series 1 rear panel!!!

their are no sharp edges behing the bumpers so no problem.

the front bumper you will need to relocate number plate (not in window that is illegal) and indicators. if you look through the fav pics of your car thread their loads in their with variouse solutions to the above mentioned problems.

hello!

Back to the top

Back to the top
Yeh thats the sort of place i was thing of putting the indicators.
The 2 holes there look like there made for them.   :lol:
So won't be a problem with the mot or should i put them on anyway just incase?

Back to the top
I would have thought if it's legal to run around with no bumpers on then it would pass an MOT fine without them on? As long as the front plate and indicators are secure.  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Who told you it was legal?? I think it's Illegal!

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

kins said

Who told you it was legal?? I think it's Illegal!

well i passed an mot without.  their are no sharp edges  the plates are legally displayed and the indicators work and are secure no problems at all what makes you think its illegal

hello!

Back to the top
MOT will only fail things that are dangerous to drive,

ie.

Windscreen wipers not working -> you cant see properly
left wheel hanging off -> wheel might fall off

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
There is nothing in the testers manual covering bumpers, as long as the body has no sharp edges with them removed, and all lights and number plates are fitted it will pass an MOT and is legal.

Mini's have a sharp edge when the bumpers come off so are illegal.

Mick & Emma

'86 Cabrio GTI (ish)

Back to the top
please note that if "mr mot" wants to be picky he could call the tow hitch a sharp piont.

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

please note that if "mr mot" wants to be picky he could call the tow hitch a sharp piont.

Even with a cover over the ball? Surely not the fixed towing eye?

Back to the top

rov716y said

indicators are seeries1 landy or mini items (both the same)

cheap and easy to come by

Back to the top

paul_c said

whatalotafun said

Even with a cover over the ball? Surely not the fixed towing eye?

sorry, yeah towing eye. not "tow hitch". plank i am!

Back to the top
the front towing eye is the iffy bit, the regs say all exterior projections have to be radiused, so it depends on the radius of the metal the tow eye is made from and also how big is it... ill look in the regs when im back at work, but I think its a 50/50 this one.

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

Not a issue, that's why it's curved in the first place!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

whatalotafun said

meant TOWING EYE not tow hitch

Back to the top

funk-star said

whatalotafun said

Except it was never designed to be protruding, because the manufacturer will have assumed the bumper is fitted.

Back to the top
not past the bumper granted. But the radius would be correct as per Sva requirements

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

not past the bumper granted. But the radius would be correct as per Sva requirements

Its not an SVA though, its an MoT and if its less clear in the MoT manual, or left to the discretion of the tester, it might fail. Of course, if the fail were earned, then appealed, citing the SVA manual, its a good chance the appeal would succeed……

Having said all that, I think it would be a stingy MoT tester who failed the Golf towing eye on protrusion.

Back to the top
did say if he was being picky, just wanted to point it out.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.