Skip navigation

Vacuum pipes on original airbox with weber

Back to the top

Vacuum pipes on original airbox with weber

Found it, this is my friends 1.5gl with a 36tlp weber.
As you can see the piping as i mentioned previously is the same on 1.5/1.6 & 1.8 mk1 and mk2's with single weber carb.
Looking at all my mk1 pics, i have loads of tuts that i posted on here in the past, still got all the pic's, just need time to start getting them sorted again as i made mistake and deleted the photo hosting account by mistake, too may clicks lol, anyway here is one of pics i took so you can see exactly how i describe it bud
Pete  :wink:

Back to the top
That is exactly what I need.  Cheers.

Back to the top

TonyM42 said

Peddersgolf said

It's the same as thou a nipple as been broken on the servo pipe as it is common.
My friends 1.5 manual had a broken one, simply as you suggest add another t-piece to the one remaining servo nipple then again follow same as diagram, left side of t piece is the pipe with non return valve going to the carb, then right to dizzy bud.
Hope i explain clearly, if not i am sure i took a pic of my friends as a diagram for others whom broken a nipple on servo pipe, i will look for them and post them up
….and presumably try to seal off the broken nipple so there are no air leaks.

Do you know if replacement pieces with two nipples can still be purchased, and where from?

Mine is a new one from the dealers, as i am fussy lol as i did also put too much pressure on one of the nipple and yup it snapped.
My friend wasn't bothered about buying a new one, so to seal the hole on the servo pipe where broken nipple was, i used soldering iron and simply as they say plastic welded, sounds good, simple process, then put wrapped some gaffer tape around for extra seal, you can use electrical tape also.

Back to the top
Thanks again….I'm trying to do a "proper" job on this so will order a new one but do the soldering iron fix as a temp measure just to get the old girl running!

Back to the top
Peddersgolf - I dont suppose you have got any pictures or a datasheet on how the 36tlp carb is fitted on the engine and where everything connects to?

Thanks.

Back to the top
Marcus -PM me your email address and I will send you the PDF.

Back to the top
I do have one somewhere fella, but finding it with all my new parts is like finding a needle in a haystack lol.
but if you can make it to mine in manchester, i don't mind fitting it for you bud, get her purring.
On that note, you will need to make a little adjustment to the air filter box with a new 36tlp.
Will try and find the pics, it involves removing a little bit of the inner lip of the metal part of air box, the part that fits to carb, using a dremmel, a simply cut.
Let me get pics and if you need more info it will give me time to explain.
If you look at my post in past i do explain how to, but i need to find the pics to go with it and i have approx 10 years of how-to's on mk1 & 2's lol
Pete :wink:

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

I do have one somewhere fella, but finding it with all my new parts is like finding a needle in a haystack lol.
but if you can make it to mine in manchester, i don't mind fitting it for you bud, get her purring.
On that note, you will need to make a little adjustment to the air filter box with a new 36tlp.
Will try and find the pics, it involves removing a little bit of the inner lip of the metal part of air box, the part that fits to carb, using a dremmel, a simply cut.
If you look at my post in past i do explain how to, but i need to find the pics to go with it and i have approx 10 years of how-to's on mk1 & 2's lol

Hi Pete,
TonyM42 has sent me the datasheet for it so i should be alright with it.
I have had a look at the old thread on how to modify the airbox but like you said there are no pictures with it.

Just wondering do you know where i could get some parts for the weber carb as i got mine from ebay and it was originally off a Nova 1.3 so there are a few parts missing that i need to be able to fit it.

Thanks for your help,
Marcus

Back to the top

Marcus said

Peddersgolf said

Hi Pete,
TonyM42 has sent me the datasheet for it so i should be alright with it.
I have had a look at the old thread on how to modify the airbox but like you said there are no pictures with it.

Just wondering do you know where i could get some parts for the weber carb as i got mine from ebay and it was originally off a Nova 1.3 so there are a few parts missing that i need to be able to fit it.

Thanks for your help,
Marcus

Parts you could "not sure" get from a weber dealer for one i have bought my webers from him www.fastroadcars.co.uk or try rich or even scour ebay for an 2nd hand unit which i already done for you lol no joy, reason i always buy a new part as saves me hassle and expense looking around for other parts plus i know it will work and run new, but i would look at site i posted, giver him a bell, quality service always.
Throw a pic up of the carb fella to see what needs what.

Here is one pic  found to give you the idea what needs doing, reason this needs to be done which is a good mod as you do not see the modification thus it does not change the way the box sits or affect fir flow etc or affect even if you fit original solex carb back on.
On 1.5's sometimes if not been removed and left off is a rubber seal which sits round the rim of the carb where airbox goes, i can not state this enough as some in past simply refuse to agree that the rubber is not needed, from experience it is not needed so do not worry if you do not have one.
In the pic you see the cut, now on the 36tlp there is a bracket which is connected to the carb via the 2 x bolts which secure the carb to the the inlet manifold, there are 2 areas of the bracket that get in teh way of the original airbox fitting snug as they sit on the rim of the carb, at 10 & 4 o'clock positions thus this is mod i did on at least 6 gl's i know of.
Any further let me know bud

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Parts you could "not sure" get from a weber dealer for one i have bought my webers from him www.fastroadcars.co.uk or try rich or even scour ebay for an 2nd hand unit which i already done for you lol no joy, reason i always buy a new part as saves me hassle and expense looking around for other parts plus i know it will work and run new, but i would look at site i posted, giver him a bell, quality service always.
Throw a pic up of the carb fella to see what needs what.

Here is one pic  found to give you the idea what needs doing, reason this needs to be done which is a good mod as you do not see the modification thus it does not change the way the box sits or affect fir flow etc or affect even if you fit original solex carb back on.
On 1.5's sometimes if not been removed and left off is a rubber seal which sits round the rim of the carb where airbox goes, i can not state this enough as some in past simply refuse to agree that the rubber is not needed, from experience it is not needed so do not worry if you do not have one.
In the pic you see the cut, now on the 36tlp there is a bracket which is connected to the carb via the 2 x bolts which secure the carb to the the inlet manifold, there are 2 areas of the bracket that get in teh way of the original airbox fitting snug as they sit on the rim of the carb, at 10 & 4 o'clock positions thus this is mod i did on at least 6 gl's i know of.
Any further let me know bud

Ok, thanks for the link, i will give them a bell and see what they have. Here are a few pics of the carb when i got it. The black plastic piece that covers the choke mechanism on top, is broken so that needs replacing aswell.

I know buying new units is probably best but i found this carb for £30 which is alot cheaper then £230 and being a student, i cant afford that.

Thanks for the pics of the airbox modification, it doesnt look too bad to do.

Thanks for your help,
Marcus

Back to the top
Some advice, get 2 can's of carb cleaner and give the carb a very good going over with a soft bristle toothbrush, get any crap out of it, whilst doing the butterflies etc, keep the carb upside down so no dirt etc stays inside.
The slap some grease over the moving parts on the outside, keep it in good nick.
I understand where your coming from being a student but question is 'what you going to pay in new replacement parts in order to get it in full working order as 36tlp carb parts are rare as 2nd hand bud, it will unless your really lucky, be of financial benefit to you in the long run buying new carb.
Not being funny or rude but if you can't afford the parts how can you afford to run the car.
You have to pay out on these old girls originally, then once done you've got a top notch motor for a very long time as at there time of life when you got yours, it will no doubly need some work doing

Back to the top
lucky i found this thread, having read it several times, it has been invaluable.  For reasons best known to the previous owner, the vac pipes on the manifold pipe and the pipe out of the back of the carb have been blanked off?  Have spent today reinstating the pipes, it runs a lot better from cold. :lol:

What other faults would this cause?  The vac pipe straight out of the car was blocked off, the vac pipe from the manifold was blocked off.  It's only reall dawned on me, that this wasn't right!

Thanks again for the info and pics!!

The fleet stands at:

'90 Clipper

'95 T4 lwb

'94 T4 lwb

Back to the top
It would a host  of issues, incorrect mixture, timing etc etc, anything related to the carb.
Now you've fitted the new vac pipes, i would suggest you re-do the timing and mixture on the carb or at least double check it is right
Pete

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Some advice, get 2 can's of carb cleaner and give the carb a very good going over with a soft bristle toothbrush, get any crap out of it, whilst doing the butterflies etc, keep the carb upside down so no dirt etc stays inside.
The slap some grease over the moving parts on the outside, keep it in good nick.
I understand where your coming from being a student but question is 'what you going to pay in new replacement parts in order to get it in full working order as 36tlp carb parts are rare as 2nd hand bud, it will unless your really lucky, be of financial benefit to you in the long run buying new carb.
Not being funny or rude but if you can't afford the parts how can you afford to run the car.
You have to pay out on these old girls originally, then once done you've got a top notch motor for a very long time as at there time of life when you got yours, it will no doubly need some work doing

Thanks for the advice Pete, I am currently in the process of stripping the carb and giving it a good clean.
I have found quite a few places that stock the parts i need and any of the parts i cant find such as the mounting plates, i will fabricate them myself.

I cant really afford to run the car either at the moment :lol: if it wasnt for insurance costing a lot then i would be fine.
I am getting a job over summer so it all should be fine.

I dont suppose you have the datasheet that comes with the service kit for the 36tlp carb so i can find the part numbers of the parts i need and see whether it is missing any other parts.

Thanks,
Marcus

Back to the top
I have got a manual for the 36tlp for sure as i took a pic of it lol.
I will be back from training about 11am, i will have a look in the paperwork for it bud and scan it.

Back to the top
I have got the manual for it as TonyM42 sent it to me but i am after the datasheet from the service kit as this shows an exploded diagram of the carb, like the jets, floats etc.
Thanks for your help.

Back to the top
I haven't got one of those fella

Back to the top
Hi their all i have just aquired a mk1 sicorroco with a webber 34 dtmr on this has the vacum take off fom the front of the carb not the back i am going to set the vacum up as you have described however you say the pipe should go to the dizzy from the right pin of the servo but i have 2 take offs for pipes on my dizzy

Back to the top
Update.
Put everything together on Saturday - still slight problem with the airbox to carb fitting (wrong part) but not insurmountable - switched her on, a couple of turns to get petrol into the carb and then 'brrmm!'.  Running better and smoother than she did before with no twiddling of the carb so great and thanks for your help Pete.
Just one problem - water coming out of the back  lol.  Never ending saga!  :wink:

Back to the top
Just wondering does anyone have the mounting plate that attaches to the top of the carb and holds the air filter in place for sale? -  99901407 Air Filter Adaptor.

Also does anyone have a diagram of what the bottom inlet/outlet pipes are for. I know where the vacuum and fuel pipes go but there are two quite big pipes on the bottom that i have no idea about.

Thanks for your help.
There are too many online users to list.