Skip navigation

G60 into mk1 guide

Back to the top

Workshop, mobile mech North Humberside

G60 into mk1 guide

i just got a g60 engine complete for my mk1 gti and need some help getting this put in. Can any1 recommend a good workshop or even mobile mechanic in the Humberside area to get this sorted for me as i don't want to travel too far up and down. Cheers

Back to the top
hi paul sorry to bother you i just been doing some research and i spotted your pics of you doing your g60 conversion  

i am nearly finished with mine just a few small things and she up n running, i just had a huge question to ask you that no one can seem to answer, i see in your pics you say to use the Ralley bend and a TD5 intercooler because it fits best, it fits nicely just one small problem is i cannot find a boost pipe that connects the RALLEY bend and the intercooler together and i see you have used the ralley bend and the td5 cooler so what pipe did you use for the RALLEY bend to the intercooler if you could help me out it would be much appreciated….i am form South Africa and there is no G60 here and so on,so parts and stuff for G60 or doing a G60 conversion into a mk1 is no were to be found i have to import all my stuff but if you could help me out on what pipe you used from the RALLEY bent into the td5 cooler thanks a lot paul
any info would be much appreciated by anyone

Back to the top
Hi my mk1 is at a workshop now and hopefully getting the g60 done soon, i [purchased the whole conversion with intercooler and pipes, will email you when i go to the workshop again. By the way i am from SA aswell. I emailed this chappie paul and no reply in weeks, hopefully mine will be all sorted and i will email you some pics soon. you could pm me if you like, cheers

Back to the top
Hi  all. New member from Canada here planning on doing this conversion this spring.
My cabby  is an 88 automticc and my donor is a 91 Corrrado G60. I will take the engine, rad, wiring, piping,, ehaust, tranny etcc from the Rado, but was wondering if I need anything else ffrom the donor.
Also, can the G connect to an 88 autommatic transmission straight up?
TThis Cabby is my daughters and she'd like to keep it automatic if possible.
Thanks all, awesome help on this site from lovers off their dubs!

Mike

88 Cabriolet
90 Corrado G-60
02 Avalanche Z71

Back to the top
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Best of luck with the conversion.

Back to the top
Hi all.

Im just about to purchase a sprinter intercooler for my mk1 g60 are there different sizes? This one is coming from a rado and fits snug. Also can i use the rad with twin slimline fans from it? 

Thanks 
J

Back to the top
Also could somebody email this guide if poss. Im struggling to find it. Thanks j

Back to the top

Back to the top
i soooooooo want to do this, best of both worlds G60 in a MK1, great guide btw ;)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Brilliant thanks. Mk1 stage 4 g60 here i come and just in time for summer! 

Back to the top

Jayladder said

smudger1980 said

Good luck with that!  These things tend to escalte somewhat.  Still, if you have all the parts and can get going then all the best and I wish you well on your G60 voyage :-)

Back to the top

Jayladder said

smudger1980 said

Cor I hope you work fast matey. As said by Toby above time has a habit of flying on the se conversions. I wish you all the best of luck with it though. Sitck a build thread up and keep us updated :)

Back to the top
Thanks guys.

The engines been rebuilt and is on caddy mounts now. Ive just bought a stage 4 charger with paperwork and ecu with jabba chip plus all the bits needed inc rallye u bend and sprinter intercooler which fits a treat btw!!.

Next things on the list are a lambda sensor and the the gear mech for the cable change any ideas? 

I have everything else pretty much :-) so full steam ahead!! 

Ps I am trying to put pics up :-)

Back to the top

Jayladder said

Thanks guys.

The engines been rebuilt and is on caddy mounts now. Ive just bought a stage 4 charger with paperwork and ecu with jabba chip plus all the bits needed inc rallye u bend and sprinter intercooler which fits a treat btw!!.

Next things on the list are a lambda sensor and the the gear mech for the cable change any ideas? 

I have everything else pretty much :-) so full steam ahead!! 

Ps I am trying to put pics up :-)

Probably best to start a build thread mate in the MK1 project section.

As for pics you will need a photobuckt account or similar and to have a read of THIS thread which should help you out mate.

Back to the top
Will be joining this g60 club also in the future. Engine is purchased but still loads of other things to do.

Back to the top

ramblin said

Will be joining this g60 club also in the future. Engine is purchased but still loads of other things to do.

Congrats mate, best of luck with the project

Back to the top
lets get a list of what is needed for conversion people.

type of filters air/oil
hose for conversion
best intercooler
brackets
etc

just the other bits outwith the engine

Back to the top
As a starting point a Merc sprinter intercooler is safe bet.  The full width of the car, not too deep and good size inlets.  You can also buy the hosing in kit form to allow you to fit it.

Tip - Shave off the ribs on the end tanks to give you a little more room to allow it to sit slightly straighter.

Supersprint do a very good exhaust manifold, I have a GrpA version.  The trouble is they are desined for LHD cars and as a result run close to the steering column.  You will need to wrap the exhause very well and it might be a good idea to put some reflective heatshielding infrom of the steering rack boot to prevent it getting too hot and you losing all the grease.

Radiator - If you're going to run just 1 inlet on teh charger, it gives you a load of choices.  A lot of people will take the end tanks off a 16v rad and put the mk1 end tanks on in their place.  Straight fit and good cooling.  Use a PACE or similar fan, NOT an ebay special as they are poopoo.

Back to the top
cheers fella!

my mate helped me out with engine last night. straight lift on pallet right out :thumbs:

Back to the top
any specific year for merc sprinter intercooler? bes tplace to get them ?

links for hosing also be ideal
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.