Skip navigation

Cabrio GTi Sportline- nearly there... (lots of pics)

Back to the top

Cabrio GTi Sportline- nearly there... (lots of pics)

Cheers! I've since finished the interior and applied the Sportline decals (from Walt) so it's looking much more complete. Pics to follow.

I'm toying with the idea of an engine conversion though… it's just too slow at motorway speeds for me. I'm not confident enough to do the conversion myself so I'm pricing it up- seems the going rate is ?2-?3k plus the engine. Ouch.

Cheers,
Meenrod

1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Cabriolet Sportline

Back to the top
Cheers. I've since changed mine for a 8 ball! Much cooler.

I've since applied the Sportline decls (thanks Walt) and ther Karmann badges and finished the interior, so it's looking much more complete- pics to follow.

I'm toying with the idea of an engine conversion though, as it's just too slow for me especially at motorway speeds where the fast lane is a no no. I'm not confident to do the conversion myself so I'm pricing it up- seems the going rate is ?2-?3k plus the engine. Ouch.

Cheers,
Meenrod

Back to the top

Meenrod said

I'm toying with the idea of an engine conversion though, as it's just too slow for me especially at motorway speeds where the fast lane is a no no. I'm not confident to do the conversion myself so I'm pricing it up- seems the going rate is ?2-?3k plus the engine. Ouch.

Is it running right?  It should be more than adequate.

Banner

Back to the top
My sportline pulls really well in 5th from 70 - 90 and still continues to pull at 110…?

I had it off the clock when I first got it (on private roads *cough*)

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Wow man I love your ride! Well done! That carpet is ACE!  8)  Did youmake it yourself? HOw did you do it?

'96 1.3 Mk1 (first car) Oldschool conversion in progress

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.vwclub.co.za/vwforum/viewtopic.php?t=56714

Back to the top

Gavh said

Wow man I love your ride! Well done! That carpet is ACE!  8)  Did youmake it yourself? HOw did you do it?

The carpets come as a two piece kit from Newtons (advert to your left there) I fitted a red one to my Cab and they do look great when fitted, quality isn't as good as the original OEM item though.

Oh and Members get 10% discount so think about that before ordering.

T

Back to the top
It's running fine, just a bit slow. My other cars are a bit nippier, so let's juts say this is the baby of the bunch!

Cheers,
Meenrod

Back to the top
looks great mate, cant wait for mine to look something like, as for the gear nob, mine looks the same so do you know whether or not its the standard one.
theres a nice sportline on ebay at the mo for ?3500

Joe

Black 1992 gti cabrio sportline

Back to the top

Sportline decals

Meenrod you meniton you obtained Sportline decals from Walt. Can you please point me in the direction of Walt, as I am also close to completing a black Sportline and just need the decals to finish the job. Many thanks adanac71. Love your car by the way...great job! :D

Back to the top

Re: Sportline decals

adanac71 said

Meenrod you meniton you obtained Sportline decals from Walt. Can you please point me in the direction of Walt, as I am also close to completing a black Sportline and just need the decals to finish the job. Many thanks adanac71. Love your car by the way…great job! :D

Firstly, thanks for joining up!

To find Walt, click on the 'Search' link on the left then in 'Search for Author:' type 'walt'. His posts and all posts he's replied to will come up, just select one and send him a PM.

T

Back to the top

Back to the top

Sportline Decals

Hi mate, love the car! just embarking on a similar journey to yours.

Need to get hold of some new sportline decals, any chance you could pass me walts details to get some made…

Regards

S

Back to the top
Cool thread Meenrod  8) Did your Blaupunkt headunit come with the wiring?
I have a beta cassette deck but my standard wiring plugs don't power it up. I think the location of the leads is slightly different. If your still considering an engine conversion look on here for 'Smokeymagician'.

I think we need a sportline dedicated picture thread somewhere on the forum. 8)

@ Sportline007, if Walt can't sort you out with decals try http://www.trimsport.co.uk/exterior.html

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top

Re: Cabrio GTi Sportline- nearly there... (lots of pics)

Meenrod said

Keeping it VAG with the Symphony CD player meant I could use the original connections- literally plug and play.

Just re-read your OP :oops: Might have to have another play around with the wiring tonight.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
I love your car mate, I have just purchased an L reg Black Sportline from my bro-in law that I am just starting to restore back to as original as I can get condition…same problems, naff rear lights (now purchased originals) you name it, its been done, but luckily has a lovely interior etc, just replacing all the aftermarket bits like chrome window winders etc. If you have any tips on working on these beauties please mail me, any advice would be greatly received…I hope one day she will look just like yours :-) daniel.cragg@pericom.co.uk

Back to the top
where do you get the sportline decals from

Back to the top
very nice sportline indeed….good work,alot of little descreet touches that make a big difference

surprised about ure lack of power at motorway speeds,my cabby 8v was fine although ive just had a 16v conversion in my sportline :D

lovely car mate :)

stu

Back to the top
hi im looking for a stereo like this for my car ! no luck on ebay , who did you get this off on ebay ? or what model of stereo is it  to help me search?

cheers

jay

Jay

1990 - MK1 GOLF CADDY PICKUP  | 1980 - MINI GT 1275  | 2005 - RENAULT TRAFIC CAMPER
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.