Skip navigation

BBLB - Time to get it roadworthy!

Back to the top

BBLB - should I scrap it?

Following on from this previous thread……

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=general-chat_3%2Fpoor-old-gti-0

I thought I'd better start one on here as its starting to get serious!

Why BBLB? I here you ask, well as my main GTI is named Black Bullet by its original owners or BB for short and as this car is its younger brother then it seemed the obvious choice :DWhen I went to look at it, the garage where it was, were filling it full of scrap to weigh it in later this month. Couldn't see it go for scrap as it was pretty closely related to BB. Unfortunatley there is about 2 weeks difference in the registering of the 2 cars and the chassis numbers are fairly well spaced, I was hoping they were going to be closer than they are. Even so, there is no other GTI which came from this dealer between BB and BBLB.

BB and BBLB together again!

Don't really know why I've bought it as I wasn't really planning on embarking on a restoration as most of you know, they are a labour of love. - It must be the lure of the MK1 I suppose! :dontknow:
Anyway the more I look at it the more I think it deserves a second chance. and in my mind the good points seem to out weigh the bad points. What do you think? Am I being unreasonable? Have I got the rose tinted shades on again?

Bad points:

In its life it had an aftermarket  sunroof fitted which has been smashed and has pretty much destroyed the roof and most of the interior. It has also been stripped of many parts prior to me getting it and there was about 3" of water layng in the bottom.

Sunroof destruction

Rear slam panel is about as rotten as they come.

Front lower panel is a bit buckled.

N/S sill is dented though not rotten.

Most of the exterior trim is scrap including bumpers, grill, plastic arches.

Small dents on all remaining panels but repairable.

Condition of engine/box is unknown, injector pipes missing but the oil is clean and it has a new airfilter in it which suggests it was recently serviced. However I do have a good engine and would probably just fit that as a matter of course.

Good points:

I've stripped out most of the interior to see what lay lurking on the shell and to me it doesn't seem too bad.

Scuttle panel good

Filler surround seems OK

No rot on the inner wings.

Floor is solid

Sills although one is dented neither are rotten.

Fuel tank looks clean inside

Seat belt anchors look OK

Bulkhead good.

Rear arches are good bar a couple of minor dents.

Sparewheel well good.

I think I've already managed to source a complete interior, doors and other odds and sods for it, the rear slam panel shouldn't be too bad to repair if I can find someone with  a donor shell.
To me the biggest challenge is replacing the roof as I've never attempted one before. Anyone out there with experience of doing this- I would greatly appreciate any advice. My initial thoughts are to un spot weld it around the front screen and rear and cut the roof about 15mm up from the gutter rail leaving the roof subframe in position and laying the new roof over this 15mm lip, welding it carefully to avoid any distortion and then lead loading the joint.

If I do restore it then it won't be a minter or concours (BB takes care of that) just tidy enough to use as a runaround.

If I don't decide to restore it then I would love to see it go to someone who will as would DAZ1971 who found it in the first place.

Last edit: by Yomp

Back to the top
Quick mate… there's a rust free non sunroof roof on ebay:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://dubz-by-dan.moonfruit.com may be able to fit it for you (at a price obviously) as he said he'd done a few and they can be tricky but he's got it down to a tee.  He's in Essex and so is the person selling the roof!!!  It's meant to be  :dontknow:  …. I hope you can save this one mate!!

Back to the top
Good on ya Graham, a lot of peopel would have walked away, would be cool to have themboth back to original and looking liek twins.

Fair play.. rich at CQ's has a few shells ready to be broken, might be wortha  trip over to see him and what he's got (call first tho as he's not always there)

steve

Back to the top
good on you mate n best of luck with your restoration,

Back to the top
Nice find - will keep you busy! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looks like you got your work cut out there mate, if your gonna restore it you might aswell replace the roof as you will most likely only regret not doing it later on.

x5pea replaced his roof skin, could maybe ask him for advise, he has pictures up on his thread

The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Best of luck with it

cheers kenno

Back to the top
Good show !!  

Are you going to at least try to get the existing lump going ?? it might well be ok…you never know, and it'll save you a few pennies……saving what you've got at the same time :)

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
That will keep you busy Graham! Set yourself a budget and what you are aiming for then make a rationale decision. A reshell looks the cheapest way?

Banner

Back to the top
I think even if I reshell it then there will still be welding to do on another shell, so I think I will stick with this one for now.

I have set myself a budget in my head on what I want to spend on it. I will probably do a spread sheet to see if that is realistic then re-evaluate.

Managed to pick up virtually an entire car today minus the rolling shell.

That shell is becoming a track car.

Most of the bits are OK some are tired as you would expect but it saves me having to trudge around the country locating parts which also has to be considered within the total cost of the build.

Time is the biggest problem, not enough of it and don't know whether to set myself a time limit or not. If I don't set a limit then there is a big chance that it'll never get finished. If I do set one then there's the chance that the main things such as work and family may suffer which will also cost.

1st job is try and get a logbook for it. There was one but although was complete with all sections and was the old style, the previos owner, hadn't signed it so I have filled out my bits and will send it this week and see what happens.

Back to the top
Excellent mate

Back to the top
Any updates mate ?!?!  :)

Back to the top
you got your hands full there mate good to see your getting stuck in tho  :wink:

Back to the top
Slow progress with this one though have just managed to source a roof for the right money. Will hopefully do a detailed description of fitting it but never done a roof before so will be a bit of trial and error. Looking for a rear slam panel at the moment.

Back to the top
Hope it fits easily for you, plenty for you to be getting on with.

Back to the top
Looking good so far - well worth restoring to runaround condition IMO…

The nice thing about having a scruffy-ish car is that you're more willing to drive it, which IMO is where most of the fun is.

I got my GTI out last week for the Berks meet, and haven't persuaded myself to put it away again, even though it's been cold and wet ever since :lol:

Rich

Back to the top

mcscrew said

Looking good so far - well worth restoring to runaround condition IMO…

The nice thing about having a scruffy-ish car is that you're more willing to drive it, which IMO is where most of the fun is.

Totally agree, my mk1 gets used hard all the time no matter what, battling it out with all and everyone, wouldn't have it any other way ! :D

Good work mate, keep up updated ! :)

Back to the top
that is soo cool you have two with almost the same reg numbers..
i thought it was only me who was that sad (?????)

i had SRU673X and WRU613X when i was younger!!

check out the red one on the left  in the pic below too…..

goodluck with the rebuild too..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top

richievr said

that is soo cool you have two with almost the same reg numbers..
i thought it was only me who was that sad (?????)

i had SRU673X and WRU613X when i was younger!!

check out the red one on the left  in the pic below too…..

goodluck with the rebuild too..

NGF 725Y - Thats SW London as well. I wonder if it were the same dealer :dontknow: According to the register its now in Leeds.

Back to the top
How's it all going Yomp…. any updates lately mate?

Back to the top
hi great thread hopefully will be a detailed one

dont supose you will be sellin that front bumper if its shot?

gaz

keep on dubbing
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.