Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Hi malc
Wow!! incredible work there malc, wish i had your expertise.
I really need to do what your doing as my engine has done 171k miles but i havn't got the confidence to strip the engine down to its bare bones.
Great work almost new engine when youve finished.
Is that a matt black engine enamel that you have used?, it looks so clean.
Keep up the good work
regards andy :)

Back to the top
Managed to fit the pistons in this morning, used plenty of lub around the pistion rings. Used a piston ring compressor to get them in. sorry, forgot to take a photo.

Put piston Nos 1 and 4 first.

Lubricated the conrod journal and placed a piece of Plastigauge across the journal.

gary524.jpg

New shell in place for the conrod cap.

gary526.jpg

Torqued down the conrod cap and then removed it.

You can see how the plastiguage has spread out. This width was measured using the supplied gauge and it equaled 2 thou. Well in tolerance, as new.

gary531.jpg

Refitted the cap and torque loaded. All four pistons in place. All mid stroke.

gary532.jpg

For the moment, I have stored the engine upside down and filled the pistons with some clean engine oil.

gary534.jpg

Weekend fix over. That's it for about a fortnight. Xmas shopping next weekend. Hope to get the sump, cylinder head and timing gear back on next.

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
P*** poor performance this weekend, bad weather stopped play.

Only managed to paint the sump with POR 15. Hope to do better next weekend.

gary535.jpg

Back to the top
A dry day for a change and quite a bit done on the engine. I wanted to get the engine block assembled to keep the elements out.

I replaced the front and rear crankshaft seals with new. Both new seals were VW.

Out with the old (right) and in with the new (left) front.

gary541.jpg

Out with the old (brown) and in with the new (black) rear.

gary536.jpg

To fit the rear seal housing, I had to take the engine block of the stand.

gary537.jpg

gary538.jpg

Refitted the block onto the stand and the front seal housing onto the engine block.

Flushed out the oil pump and filter and installed the pump, surprisingly no gasket. Primed the pump.

gary540.jpg ]

Fitted the sump pan with new gasket. Sump is POR 15'd.

gary542.jpg

Turned the engine over and installed the cylinder head with new gasket and bolts. Front crankshaft seal housing installed.

gary543.jpg

gary546.jpg

Proper tool for the head bolts, 12 spline not 6.

gary549.jpg

The cylinder head tightening down procedure is quite complicated. Starting from the middle bolts outwards, 40 Nm torque, 60 Nm then 75 Nm, then add a further 1/4 turn. It gets really tight towards the end.

gary544.jpg

gary548.jpg

Light getting low, time to pack up. Pretty happy

Back to the top
Despite the cold and ice a little more done.

Distributor and fuel pump added.

gary550.jpg

gary558.jpg

Parts cleaned and sprayed with engine enamel.

gary561.jpg

gary563.jpg

Note the new water pump half. I originally purchased this years ago for my Mk2.

gary560.jpg

Two halves of the water pump assembled, unfortunately with original gasket sealed with Hylomar sealant.

gary564.jpg

The black bolt is a replacement, the original had sheared, I had to drill the broken bolt out and retap a new thread.

gary565.jpg

I hope to get some of these parts back on the engine, time and fit the cambelt tomorrow.

Back to the top
Had a bit of a school boy error today:

Whilst fitting a new cambelt and tensioner, I decided to use a small paint brush in the No.1 cylinder so I could see it rise to TDC.

Imagine my horror when a piece of the paintbrush handle broke inside the cylinder !!. I tried all sorts of things to get it out, including a blob of grease on a metal rod.

I eventually managed to find my extending grabber. I could pick the paint bush hanldle up, but could not get it out through the spark plug hole. It was like a dog trying to get a branch through the gate.

I had just decided to take the head off again, when I thought I would give it another go. The pictures say it all !!

gary566.jpg

gary574.jpg

In addition today, I did manage to fit the cambelt and tensioner.

gary572.jpg

gary573.jpg

The inlet manifold, water pump, oil filter mounting and water tapping with some stainless steel bolts.

gary569.jpg

Back to the top

Back to the top
really top job there malcom, thats going to be one concourse engine bay! you should be proud!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments, it is nice to get some positive feedback.

As I do most of my work outside, I feel that the weather will limit the progress over the winter period.

Back to the top
A little more done today before the frost sets in. I fear not much will be done over winter.

I have come to the point where I am fitting things onto the engine and find that they need derusting, pickling and painting.

A little  logistics of keeping the items and the paint warm before spraying outside seemed to be the best approach.

Though the wife is complaining about the smell of paint whilst they dry in the house with being too cold outside.

gary575.jpg

gary578.jpg

gary579.jpg

gary583.jpg

Back to the top
It seems an absolute age since my last post and actually working on the car. Over a month.

With Xmas and family commitments out of the way, I managed to have a normal weekend and did a few hours on the car today.

A bit of personal admin, finding parts, I managed to fit some of them.

Trying to put everything back together seems a bit of a jigsaw despite having all the manuals, Etka and Elsawin, particulary around the cambelt area.

A couple of photos representing todays work.

gary589.jpg

gary590.jpg

Back to the top
Nice work on the engine Malc ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Back to the top
I have total respect for the ammount on time care and attention to detail that has gone into the engine. :D

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top

Back to the top
top notch Malcolm, some real nice work here, makes me want to do my bay and engine.
thanks for the help with the gravity valve bracket. 8)

Back to the top

Back to the top
Another nibble at the mountain.

A little bit done today, still on the engine. Trouble is finding the items to fit. They are in the garage somewhere.

Torque loaded all the manifolds, oil filter housing, water and fuel pumps. Connected some water and fuel hoses, replaced some bolts with stainless steel.

gary602.jpg

gary604.jpg

The strap between the inlet and exhaust manifold has corroded quite badly. A work colleague made me a new one out of stainless steel.

gary599.jpg

Enough for today, still quite cold despite 4 layers on.

Back to the top
Nice new bracket. It will be a shame to use this engine and get it dirty ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Inspiring rebuild Malcolm.  Your pics have really helped as I'm doing the same thing.  Keep the updates coming.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.