Skip navigation

1983 Mk1 Driver - New rims, busted clutch and a trip back in time.....

Back to the top

1983 Mk1 Driver - Let there be light !!!

Have you thought about Exhaust Wrap - I'm considering it using stainless tie-wraps - one or two colours available - silver, black, blue, etc. It is installed wet (with H2O that is) :::

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=exhaust+wrap&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_odkw=black+exhaust+wrap&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

If you are a rich person you could also consider a ceramic coating ::::

http://www.zircotec.com/page/classic_cars/14

…dunno how much it cost though…you'll have to speak et 'em

Cheers

Mk1 GTI
B5 Passat Estate 5 SPeed
Riley 1071"S" Elf Mk2  (Bl**dy Hooligan machine!)
Bosch Lawnraker 32

Back to the top

Re: manifold

projectdriver said

been looking for a manifold like that for ages where would i find one like it ?

http://www.ashleyexhausts.co.uk/

HTH ! :)

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top

superworm said

Have you thought about Exhaust Wrap - I'm considering it using stainless tie-wraps - one or two colours available - silver, black, blue, etc. It is installed wet (with H2O that is) :::

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=exhaust+wrap&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_odkw=black+exhaust+wrap&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

If you are a rich person you could also consider a ceramic coating ::::

http://www.zircotec.com/page/classic_cars/14

…dunno how much it cost though…you'll have to speak et 'em

Cheers

I find heat wrap VERY expensive for what it does, its probably unecessary for this anyway - AND i want to be able to keep an eye on rust, wont be buying another manifold anytime soon. :D

In other news , I brought a five speed gearbox for it today, and the growling from the front end has become too much to bear.

Back to the top
Messing about with gearbox, it came from a T reg polo 1.4 CL, there was a 1.0 and a 1.6 in the yard as well, but ratio wise I reckoned this was the best gamble…..he said..haha..

Removed all the polo shift stuff  - which wasnt in the best shape after the yard boys and I had been at it… :D

Donne la poubelle… ( in the bin ! )

Next, top mount, handily, this was left on the box when we wrestled it out of the donor car, ( I just kepy quiet… lol ) Plan to weld this to my existing mount that the green golf of doom handily came supplied with from the factory….. ;)

Finally, the beast itself…..going to gunk the hell out of it later, can't be fitting oil covered 13 year old mass produced parts now can we… :)

On a final note, Im almost certain the drive flanges will be different and I'll have to do something spectacular to get them to mate up ( swap my original ones from my 4 speed box he said hopefully… )

Onwards…… :)

Back to the top
Another quick update and a couple of pics…

New manifold is now in paint again…..PWOAR….

and the finish, nice and matt, thats not coming off in a hurry. :)

and thank you all for the positives. :D

Back to the top
So, Christmas 2011, peace on earth, moderate hell on my driveway, the original manifold decided to speed up the swapping process by blowing on one of the coldest mornings of the year, oh well,drove it around llike that for a few days till I could stand it no more.. :D

Anyway…Usual position please…  :-D

Thanks to whoever last put the exhaust manifold on used copper nuts, so they all came off like silk, with only one unscrewed stud to spoil it…

It was at this point I forgot to take any more photos, will get on the case, got the manifold all off, just struggling to separate it from the flexi pipe, will stick some heat on it later when I've found my blowlamp. :)

In other news, this turned up )

Ebay special headlamp relay loom, seems pretty well made, happy days.  )

Back to the top
You won't believe the difference the headlamp relays make! I took mine off on again twice thinkning it was perminatly on main beam!

Back to the top
I found also washing the six months of road grime off the headlamps themsleves has already helped immensely... :-D

Back to the top
Managed to spend an hour or two faffing about in the rain earlier……. AND…

Was also pleased to see plenty of clearence with my strut brace as well !!!

The good news ended shortly thereafter….

The dashed pipes dont mate up !!!  Curses, have ordered an adaptor/reducer thingy, but otherwise we're nearly there….  :D  Gearbox swap after that !

Back to the top
Well that was beautifully easy……headlamp relay loom IN. Wow.

LET THERE be light,,,  :-D

CV joint swap tomorrow, then fashion some sort of bodge for the exhaust so I can drive it to work, just ordered some new dash bulbs as well, as i only have one left now….ONWARDS and happy new year. :-)

Back to the top
how simple is it to fit the loom relay? ive got one myself but dont know whether i want to fit it as i want a tidy engine bay and loom

Back to the top
Took me 5 mins to fit - Literally.

Suppose you might be able to tuck it out the way somewhere, I've deliberately sited it so I can get to everything easily. :)

Back to the top
good work so far keep up the hard work and you should have a nice liitle motor there =D

Ive Drove Many Cars, But NONE Like A MK1

Back to the top
CV joint postponed today due to my shoulder killing me again, been looking at spraying my gti steelies instead…

Back to the top
All looks good mate!
Where in Herts are you?
I'm currently 'restoring' my GX More Door-Hard work but it will all pay off in the end!

1987 Caddy 1.6Turbo Diesel-GTD :D
Instagram:  Cavscp

Back to the top

cavs said

All looks good mate!
Where in Herts are you?
I'm currently 'restoring' my GX More Door-Hard work but it will all pay off in the end!

Im in Watford mate currently. :)

Back to the top
Oh, not too far then!
I don't suppose you are handy with a welder are you?? ;)

Back to the top
Im not bad I suppose, a bit rusty - HO HO HO.

Got a mate in Hitchin who might be able to help out, PM me with what you need.   :)

Back to the top
Cheers mate

Back to the top
Updates??  8O Loving the work mate!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.