Skip navigation

1983 Mk1 Driver - New rims, busted clutch and a trip back in time.....

Back to the top

1983 Mk1 Driver - Let there be light !!!

Couple of ( awful ) pics.

First is my " new " electronic igntion.

A quick scout about the internet revealed that a distributor off an earlyish saab 99 non turbo is the same as the existing distributor with the added bonus of a hall effect sender !

I can then use the ignition module and loom from any 80's VW really, in this case I'm using one off an '89 polo. Need to swap over the rev counter feed from the cars loom, but pretty much good to go - apart from the vac. advance unit has had it on the " new " dist…..bah, so now got to pull that apart ( needs a little puller to get the spinning disc thing off inside ! - any suggestions ? )

Here is my collection of scrap/junkyard parts - igntion module top left. :D

and in situ on my other small block mk1…..just to prove a point that it fits and engages etc…

Hopefully should have the dizzy back together this week, might test it on the other car to see whats what. :)

Also, started stripping down my spare rear beam, as I'm convinced the one on the car has had a wack at some point…ugh…..

Pulled everything off,

Going to change the bushes obviously - considering these - anyone used them !!?? :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MK1-GOLF-GTI-SCIROCCO-REAR-BEAM-AXLE-POLY-SPORT-BUSHES_W0QQitemZ390054546378QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad1100bca&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Can anyone see why they shouldn't work with the split in the middle !?

one more pic - just to prove it does move, went over to the allotment to see if there was anything still standing after the rain !

more updates soon, I can feel the mojo returning slowly .

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
An unexpected trip to the local scrapyard netted this little lot - rather pleased. :)

There was a 82/83 Gti in there, ( three cars up of course ) So set to…

Came home with

Gti seats, sun visors, various dash switches.
MFA stalks
fuel tank sender ( the one without the inlets and outlets )
Fuel pump and accumulator
Front wishbones, uprights, calipers etc.
and front anti roll bar.

Was going to get the rear beam and tank off but ran out of time :(

All pretty reasonably priced, need to get the vax on those seats, keen to see how they come up .

Back to the top
Changed the gearbox oil today ( finally )

How much better does that feel, if you're not sure when yours was last done, go and do it right away . :)

Back to the top
Went back to the yard and got the rear beam and injection fuel tank off the Gti last week - rather pleased, rebuilding the calipers at the weekend hopefully. :)

A quick side step out into the garage the other night resulted in this -

Managed to separate the fuel pump/sponge casing (!!!) and the bracket….

Silver pump, original ?!  8O

Back to the top
Decided to clean my scrapyard find seats up the other day, so I carted them over ( in the mk1 of course ) to my in-laws and borrowed their carpet cleaning hoover thing. :)

before

after

water !!  choco..

seem ok, just some quick stitching and a patch on the drivers seat bolster and in they go. :)

Back to the top
Woops, as life is the usual hecticness - I forgot about the MOT on the golf….ahem.

So, popped it in for a test fail - balljoint and a couple of brakelines…the solid front to rear ones.. :(

Thus….a quick precis in pictures. :)

Replacing balljoint in the garden in the sun ( beer just out of shot )

How the hell am I going to get all that off.. :D

Rain rain, go away…   :x  :x  :x

New copper, new flexis……

add this lot to a lot of rolling around, a quick brake bleed AND……

Hooray, naturally its starting leaking oil nicely from the rocker gasket, how ungrateful..

till next time. :)

Back to the top
Next uneventful update……I've decided to megajolt this car - to hell with it…

Whats megajolt - its a distributorless ign system that you can map to your mood ( or carb and cam configuration. )

It has its own little box of tricks and uses the Ford EDIS system as found in many older ( pre '95 I'd guess )

Anyway, to that end, a trip the breakers has yielded …

All the loom/coil/edis unit  from a '94ish Fiesta and some more EDIS units from some other fiestas, I suppose earlier Mazda 121's would have them as well - there was only a later zetec one in there today…going to go back tomorrow to get the other coil packs and looms off the other cars then I'm sorted  ( can megajolt BOTH my golfs then. ;) )

Time to start cutting down the ford loom to sort, I also need to get the crank position sensor, all three fiestas I visited today were siezed solid  :(

Wish me luck , I'm going in. :D

Back to the top
started prepping the '94 Fiesta wiring loom - I.e removing all the stuff I don't need ! :D

Went from this…Excuse awful pic, has something on the lens…

To this ! :)

To the right, you can see the connector for the VR sensor ( nicely already shielded etc etc )

Next, find a VR sensor and I can try and actually fire the car up in " limp" mode while I wait for my megajolt to arrive.. happy days.

Back to the top
Finished the loom today ! :)

The shorter shielded cable at the top is for the MJ module itself.
The longer shielded cable is the crank sensor.

That leaves two switched 12v lives ( for the EDIS and the coil )  and one earth….easy as that..

Just waiting on my other bits and bobs ( toothed wheel and crank sensor )  and we're good to go …. :D

Back to the top
Ordered my timing wheel the other day, will need to weld it onto my bottom pulley..    :o  :o  :o

Got it from from "Trigger-wheels "  -  http://trigger-wheels.com/store/?gclid=CM6a34Hz5aQCFZtp4wodiC5c1A

Happy.

Back to the top
And lo, it has arriveth…. As you know, the pulley wheel on a small block is dished and has a lip…

thus -

My plan is to machine this lip off and weld the pulley on…

Obviously paying attention to the run out on it, as I'd prefer to have it straight ( and the crank sensor CAN be fussy about alternating distances ! )

Onwards :)

Back to the top
Have now borrowed a MJ lite unit off a mate who isn't using it.

Had to bodge together a pc from stuff I had lying around as my ancient desktop pc with a very expensive ( in 2005 ) graphics card doesn't like openGL anymore.

Anyway, managed to get the pc made of junk running installed win xp home ( with a genuine serial no. before anyone moans at me )

Connected fine to the MJ unit through the serial port……hooray…just have to work out how to write a map now.. :D

Back to the top
Any more progress on this?

Interesting :wink:

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Any more progress on this?

Interesting :wink:

Well !!!  yes and no.

The spare pc I was using suddenly died.

So I've had to sacrifice my garage linux box, have installed a dual boot with Win. Xp and Ubuntu.

Curently installing 4,589,999 updates from microsoft, pics later

Still need to find someone local with a lathe as well to machine down the lip on the pulley and then my welder….everything on a budget, stand me in  at about £44 so far. :D

Back to the top
Quick update, got the software working,  ( it only took a new hard disc, a fresh Win. XP install and loads of updates from microsoft to sort it.. :D )

just got to work out  how to map it now    :whiteflag:

Back to the top
Still haven't finished the MJ setup, working six days a week hasn't helped.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Its my only running car ATM, so its been out and about whatever the weather - starting every time ( even at -12 one morning )

Only "problems " to report are a snagged handbrake cable on some debris in the road, a slow puncture on the passenger side rear ( 9psi in it yesterday morning - woops )

Its fantastically filthy as well, had all the CB, netbook, emgency supplies/blankets in it as well last week ( just in case I got stuck in the snow ! ) - it looked like some sort of survivalists dream. :D

Pics later….snow going, which means I can mend my handbrake.

Back to the top
Yes yes yes yes, this is all excellent. Carry on!

Also I've been after one of those SAAB distributors since for ages - might have to resort to stealing the one from the neighbours.

Back to the top

clump said

Also I've been after one of those SAAB distributors since for ages - might have to resort to stealing the one from the neighbours.

You can apparantly use a distributor off a 205 GTI 1.9 as well. They have a vac advance/correct cam drive and a hall sender which fits the mk2 golf/polo ignition amps :D Might be slightly easier to find than a saab one!

Look forward to seeing the progress on the Megajolt system Goldmk1 8)

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

clump said

You can apparantly use a distributor off a 205 GTI 1.9 as well. They have a vac advance/correct cam drive and a hall sender which fits the mk2 golf/polo ignition amps :D Might be slightly easier to find than a saab one!

Look forward to seeing the progress on the Megajolt system Goldmk1 8)

I got my SAAB on off ebay, sadly it arrived with a knackered vac adv unit, stripped it all down, then managed to loose a load of the bits in a garage accident, should be able to get them from any SAAB breaker I would have thought ?!

Megajolt still ongoing, my welder is worn out, no money for a new one right now, so on hold for now…..

Thanks for all the positivity, makes a nice change. :)

Back to the top
Another pictureless update.

Still soldering on, the original GF code lump doing 100's of miles a week at high speed. :)

Still haven't was the top of it ( been hosing the salt off natch ) .

Has developed a slow puncture as well…….oh well, only thing thats gone wrong recently.

Megajolt still ongoing, gti seats not in yet, fat  13" steelies still in garage awaiting money for tyres !

cheers…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.