Skip navigation

1983 Mk1 Driver - New rims, busted clutch and a trip back in time.....

Back to the top

1983 Mk1 Driver - Let there be light !!!

As a glutton for punishment, I've gone and bought myself another mk1 golf - another two door driver without the sunroof.

Solid, never been welded etc etc.
Plans are ( within the next two days ) coilovers, stereo, new front spoiler, centre console dials, wolfsburg steering wheel, single headlamp front end full service ( sadly it has the FOUL GF code 1.3 with THAT stupid cylinder head and low compression ).

Long term - who knows, still waiting for the insurance pay out on my other mk1, but this'll do till then . :)

Last edit: by Gold-mk1

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
Sorted out a couple of things I've always found unacceptable with this particular mk1…

New filler cap

" The " steering wheel. Ripped the old stereo out too - chocolate teapots spring to mind instantly with this. Whoever wired it in should have gone to specsavers - scotch locks on cigarette lighter wiring!?!?!  

Front spoiler - I've gone for the original driver type as opposed to the Gti " batwing " for reasons that will be apparent later.. ;) - please note also, the presence in the drivers seat of the unhelpful helper with its freshly installed " silencer " :D

Back to the top
teaser for now …

Back to the top
t now has my 14" steelies on it that came from my mates mk2, which he gave to another mate with a mk2, who gave them to me, I stuck them on my gold mk1 for a bit, then they lived on my white mk2 for a few months, now the green mk1 has them……..yawn.

Anyway, went to Bug Jam at the weekend, managed ONE photo before my camera battery died….
and here it is..

checking our tyre pressure before hitting the 50mph speed limit on the M1….

went up the 1/4 a couple of times…….has anyone got a 1.6 16v mk3 polo engine knocking about ? :D

Back to the top
LOL at the 'silencer' :lol:

Very rare mk1 colour that, good find! :)

Do you mean the 1.6 16v engine from a mk4? Dont think the mk3 had anything more than a 1.3?! :?

Looks really good :D

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

LOL at the 'silencer' :lol:

Very rare mk1 colour that, good find! :)

Do you mean the 1.6 16v engine from a mk4? Dont think the mk3 had anything more than a 1.3?! :?

Looks really good :D

The silencer works very well, until it falls off - Sadly I think this particular model needs to move on to being " unmuffled " all the time, which may be a difficult and turbulant time for the individual and all around it. :D

Been doing some reading, The 1.4 16v AFH code out of the mk4 polo is the one I'm after ( that'll teach me to type when knackered )

Back to the top
Ah ok, my mate has done this conversion into his mk1, which is the same colour as your one funnily enough.

Is no harder than your typical 1.3 conv with electronic ignition.  He has it on motorbike carbs with custom mani, and a vacuum advance dizzy from an 8v 1.3 polo engine. He had a bit of hassle with flywheel sizes, as he was using a 1.3 gbox and the starter was not engaging. Can give more info if needed. :)

Keeping the ECU/injection wouldnt be too hard if thats what you're planning.  

Also, you thought about the 1.6 16v lupo GTI engine? Bolts on the same mounts and isnt too difficult to get running on the injection? 8)

Back to the top
Just can't keep away from a mk1 can you :lol:, looks like a cracker you have.
Pete
P.S. if only those silencer's worked on the missus   :lol:

Back to the top
It LOOKS like a cracker, but needs lots of work, front calipers are totally fubared, which in turn has warped the discs, ALL the brake solid lines are pretty much knackered ( can't BELIEVE some of them didn't get an advisory at its last MOT a few weeks ago   :roll:

The underseals started to crack and peel under the spare wheel well also.

None of its scary, brake lines are easy, and Im going to upgrade to mk1 gti calipers and vented discs ( might as well - its all very cheap )

My gold one before this was the other way round - looked shocking ( in a good way ) but went like stink and was totally sound mechanically…

Currently sitting in the garage, minus its wheels and coilovers with a smacked front left 1/4 due to someone else not knowing how to drive. :(

Back to the top
Liking the look of that … mind you, whos been driving it, Sonic the hedgehog? the drivers seat is well ripped lol

Tasty base for a mint mk1

Back to the top

How stupidly high does that look !!!! good lord….now sorted.

Back to the top
your gold one looks just like mine dude! i know what you mean bout the gf code heads mine just had to have its second rebuild!  :?  being a bit kinder to it this time round  :lol:

Back to the top
They really are rubbish to be honest - The HK code lump is a much better prospect ( like I've got in my gold one ! )

The " new " mk1 has not long had a new head gasket, not sure why the previous owner bothered to be honest !   8O

Back to the top

Mk1Henry said

Liking the look of that … mind you, whos been driving it, Sonic the hedgehog? the drivers seat is well ripped lol

Tasty base for a mint mk1

My gold one has exactly the same interior, and the drivers seat is even worse..haha.

Although everything else is much better….most odd.

Back to the top
Quick update, done nearly 2000 miles since I picked it up, engine seems to

be loosening up ( finally ). Need to do the tappets and fit the electronic

ignition I found in a box in my garage ( Sparkrite ) .  I reckon the rear axle

bushes may be on the way out ( wierd handling sometimes ). Might also

treat it to some decent carbs when I have some money again, plus the

aforementioned brake upgrade, then that'll be about it for this one, I'm

saving all my other efforts for the gold one  ;) and the E28……and the

van…….and the passat….and…..er…whats next..  8O

Back to the top
Stuck the nine spokes back on it ( with the correct wheel nuts this time !! )

Discovered the pirellis are much better in the wet than the previous rubbish I had on the steelies.  :)

Off out into the rain in a minute to change the points and do the gearbox oil ( as I have no idea when it was last done, or indeed, if it has any in it at all ! ho ho )

Back to the top
very nice colour mate  8)

"Shake N' Bake"

Back to the top
Out there today in the rain, doing the brakes….

Only a couple of pics, too busy working…… :D

First - Guiness brake fluid….tasty.

Driveway chaos

More.

Test drive in the morning……

Back to the top
Wooooo! 8O

Thats just like my first mk1, a papyrus green Driver with the brown tweed interior, mine was the only one i've ever seen until i saw this!

Thing is with that colour mate is it was supposed to be for the GX's only, which only ran for one year anyway, so everyone was confused how i had a Driver in that colour!

She's a rare one right enough, keep hold of it, i regret letting mine go :(

Greg 8)

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
No pics really, everything is as it was …apart from the INCREDIBLY irritating misfire/blown alternator and cracked radiator…..

Sadly, due to lack of money I had to rob my other mk1 driver for bits, so turned that from a perfectly good running car ( albeit a crashed one ) into a non working slab that is now in the way in the garage ! :D

Still on the case with the green one though, all sorted, then have to pull the rear arms off to change out the rubbers and replace the brake pipes and flexis…

and THEN if im still interested, I might stick it in for another MOT !  :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.