Skip navigation

My mk1 resto

Back to the top

My mk1 resto

Carbs, this is THE best resto I have ever seen. I can't wait to see the finished article, it is going to be better than factory, by a long way!

:clap:

Back to the top
you guyzzzzzz!  :oops:

Back to the top
Well i got the steering rack in and the steering column etc new gaitors etc

the gear linkage rebuild kit from GPC - only 2quid! comes with all the new bushes and washer etc to renew the old items - the housing with the red bush in it you see here was just put in rust bath (DEOX C from Bilt Hamber) then painted with gold paint the motor factor mixed up - it is a good match for the yellow plate that new parts come with and it won't flake or rust like that yellow plating does…

Fitted the wishbones and rod ends - wishbones got superflex rear bushes and just standard fronts

Fitted the aero cap from Newton Equipment -

Also got a new filler neck bent out of s/s and my unlce braised a breather on it and also he decided it would polish up easy enough and after some light sanding and a bit of buffing it came up blinging well…

Then made a mount to mount the fuel pump out of a bit of scrap stainless and well i polished it too! just used the existing mounting points of the chasis.

Then got some heat shield from Agriemach - it is real sticky and is good for a painted or smooth surface - hard to shape though as there is a grain which you cant run against - the wee wrinkles look worse than they are.. but worth the hassle as i don't want to wrap the entire exhaust - as it'll get a bit of polishing no doubt! Also refurbed the shift rod and got a new rubber boot.

Then mounted the axle and shocks

Also wax injected the whole car - so she shouldn't rust in a hurry!

thats it so far - next up is nipping up the brake lines tight and putting in the goodridge lines/front hubs/shocks etc…

thats all for now :)

Back to the top
Excellent detailing, well done!

Are you going to use the car much when its done?

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Are you going to use the car much when its done?

I'd be too bloody frightened to!

Excellent job mate and another inspiring update! Keep it up!

Back to the top
you'll be able to eat your dinner off of any part of it  8O

VW's standard isn't that good even now!  :y:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
NICE! 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
excellent job carbs, love all the detailing and finish, cant wait to see it finished.  :clap:

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
amazing restore - your taking your time and care on each part - I'm loving it…. this is the sort of affect I want when I start my old skool cab this year… I'll have to have a chat with you regarding how u did some of this work as the quality is just outstanding…

Keep the great work going. Do you have a end date of when you think the car will be completed?

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Thanks again for the kind words.

dubboy - it will be dry day summer use only - taxed for 6 months of the year sort of thing

it will be used! think stone chips may be an issue!

looking into that 3m stonechip film stuff for the front end…

Back to the top
sweet as a nut.. looks fantastic and an awesome colour too…  :cheer:  :dance:

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

Thanks again for the kind words.

dubboy - it will be dry day summer use only - taxed for 6 months of the year sort of thing

it will be used! think stone chips may be an issue!

looking into that 3m stonechip film stuff for the front end…

why don't u get a complete front car bra for it - they are really worth it…

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Looking absolutely fantastic mate, i realy cannot wait to see this all finished, who did the paint work if you dont mind me asking? looks realy good, still need to find someone that can do that kind of work on mine  :cry:

Back to the top
PURE AND SIMPLY: WOW  8O (hang on a minute was'nt that a here say tune opps secrets out :oops: )

Back to the top
Well done carbs - great progress - cool as  8)

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
carbs, firstly fantastic job, I'm just starting my own restoration (http://1982mk1golf.blogspot.com) and this is inspirational stuff.

I'm looking at making a stand to get the car higher up in the air, I was wondering how you raised your car onto that stand that you made?

Cheers!

Back to the top
Eat three shredded wheat!!

Like your web site mate. Option 1 could look quite cool - would certainly be unique with short doors!! Keep us posted

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

intraclast said

carbs, firstly fantastic job, I'm just starting my own restoration (http://1982mk1golf.blogspot.com) and this is inspirational stuff.

I'm looking at making a stand to get the car higher up in the air, I was wondering how you raised your car onto that stand that you made?

Cheers!

Great blog there - I'll be keeping track of how your resto goes!

To get it into the air more, what about a decent engine crane, lifting at some suitable points on the body?

Back to the top
thanks, nice that someone's looking at the blog. I was thinking of using an engine crane with the lifting bit inside the car connected to straps that go around the floor of car. I think it should work.

I was planning on making an all sing and dancing car tilter, but have decided against it as it will take too long to make (and get right).

Back to the top
Excellent work there carbs - love the fuel pump mounting solution. Won't have any probs with that stainless rusting :D

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.