brad mole's mk1 golf project

Back to the top

brad mole's mk1 golf project

WOW, WHAT A GREAT FEELING WHEN YOU FINISH,  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK,
HOPING TO GET MY FIRST MK1 TOMORROW,

Instagram Firemandan1

Back to the top
Hi mate,

Can you tell me what that aluminium paint is called and where is is from?

Thanks

Back to the top
http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint/engine-enamel-paint.html

this is the stuff, i got it from here too, its the aluminium colour you want, it seems really good when it goes on, but mine had all reacted and wrinckled so im unsire whether id class it as good or not, maybe it was something i done, or didnt do

Back to the top

brad_mole said

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint/engine-enamel-paint.html

this is the stuff, i got it from here too, its the aluminium colour you want, it seems really good when it goes on, but mine had all reacted and wrinckled so im unsire whether id class it as good or not, maybe it was something i done, or didnt do

Thanks for the reply mate, The finish looks really good on the parts you used it on..

Did you use any rust killer or primer below it?

Back to the top
thanks, yeah i ground everything to bare metal and degreased and used kurust on parts then applied the paint, it al seemed fine til a month or two after when i put the engine in the car and left it then it just seemed to react overnight one night :(

Back to the top

SNAP… Almost, lol

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Glad you got it started and found a wiring loom :D  I take it mk2 16v loom?

I wrapped my steering rack boot, been using it for a few years now, and never a problem, and my stainless manifold isn't wrapped and it gets damn hot!

As for the cooling, have you got it sorted? I thought about top fill etc, but I wanted to use mine hard and as much as poss, so my thinking was to go for what they were designed with. Even then all valvers run hot, (esp when your temp gauge is lying to you!!)

Look forward to seeing it finished :wink:

Back to the top
Hi again guys, sorry its been so long since the last update, to be honest nothing much has happened, ive had no time or money as usual to spend on the car so its been sat around most of the time, i did eventually get the car up and running but it needs set up, its not running right at all, engines arent something i know alot about so i dont know what to try, but ive been told it will be an ECU related problem

basicly heres what happens, the car takes a good few turns before it starts, then when it does eventually start it will just stall straight away, do this a few more times and it will eventually stay running but the revs go up and down constantly and sounding like it wants to stall, if i rev it it kind of kills the revs and wants to stall, leave it a bit longer and it gets better, eventually it will stay running and seem ok, but then when driving it it has no power at all.

ive been told it could be a temp sensor not telling the ecu that the car is cold so its thinking its warm constantly? which explains why it runs ok when its warm, but dont know why its lacking power, also the radiator still boils over so not sure if i should get a bigger one now.

anyway, may as well stick a few pics of the small updates

i added more aluminium tape around the boot to help reduce the risk of burning it

brad moles mk1 golf by bradmole, on Flickr

got a mini fire extinguisher which im going to mount in the back somewhere

dash fitted

and put an old steering wheel in for when it gets MOTd

i brought the car around to the house to give it its first wash in almost 2 years of owning the car, it felt good to give it a clean although itl take a few more good washes to get some of the muck off thats been stuck on there for so long, makes me feel a bit better seeing it looking clean for a change

Its been trailored away for winter now to be stored in my mates garage so there definitly wont be any more updates til after winter unfotunatly

but look what i bought

dont get too exited though im not sure if im going to fit them, still undecided at the minute i just want the car driveable before i start messing with this kinda thing haha

Back to the top
Ooooh nice mate, very nice.

Back to the top
Ha! Nice one :wink:  Great to see it out the garage, looks sweet, esp' the 16v in that bay 8)  16v on jket isn't a easy setup to get looking clean and tidy, and you have nailed it!

As for you problems, replace the small sender on the side of the head or plug into another one of the three, plus the bigger brown temp sender (brown plug) could be duff. As your running the ISV i'm not sure a problem with this could cause what you describe? Check wiring for breaks as well etc.

When I first started mine it was a bit tricky getting it all sorted. I brought a Gunson co2 tester as a guide to get the mixture somewhere near right and check the timing, (6degress std kr) there will be a mark on the flywheel for it. Then just tweak the mixture/idle and timing until it's all somewhere near. A garage could set it more accurately later on at MOT time.  

I did spot your post in the for sale section, kr turbo eh……

Back to the top

brad_mole said

i brought the car around to the house to give it its first wash in almost 2 years of owning the car, it felt good to give it a clean although itl take a few more good washes to get some of the muck off thats been stuck on there for so long, makes me feel a bit better seeing it looking clean for a change

looks sweet as matey, even on your temporary wheels…..

likin the recaros, bay look awesome, roll on next year i guess when she comes back out of storage..
:) :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Love reading this thread still 

mk1 golf 1.8 8v = sold
mk2 golf gti = burned out
mk3 VR6 = wrote off
mk2 seat ibiza gti = sold
mk5 jetta tfsi = stanced and slammed ;)
Mk1 golf = garages and butt naked 

Back to the top
what happend to this?  :(

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.