Skip navigation

brad mole's mk1 golf project

Back to the top

brad mole's mk1 golf project

whered you get them turbines from? and how much? gorgeous wheels!!

sproutsy

Back to the top

Back to the top
what backbox is that, the type of thing i would like to run on mine, small and discreet.

not over loud?

awesome work though!

Back to the top
thanks guys

bucket said

what backbox is that, the type of thing i would like to run on mine, small and discreet.

not over loud?

awesome work though!

im not sure what the brand of the backbox is, sorry, but it is possibly my favourite part of the car, i think it looks nice and subtle and im hoping it sounds nice too, ive not heard the car run with it on yet, i cant wait

Back to the top
Dude, you've got one nice conversion going on there. Don't rust get you down on the rest.
Even with the rust its still mega. Still a high high standard of engine isn't it.

I'll be needing to get my v5 changed in regards to my engine swap. Can't wait for dealings with the dvla.

I can't wait to see this done.

Back to the top
i love this colour..nice build mate.....hope to see it at the shows.

Back to the top
been looking for this thread for a while, the car looks spot on mate! Cant wait to see the end result

Back to the top

Wšrthersee Tour 11

Wittenberge 08,09

Rothenburg 08

Schafflund 07,08,10

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=111433

Back to the top
bumpety bump

not sure if i like how they sit with tyres on, will need arches rolled and a bit of camber to fit, or i might just go for the 6J ones all round

brad moles mk1 golf by bradmole, on Flickr

it seems im becoming a bit of a wheel whore

Back to the top
LOL, now thats an addiction! :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradmole/5580074758/   would you sell ?? pm me cheers

Back to the top
small bit of progress today

i did start chopping down a set of original seat subframes but they werent going to go low enough, so i bought some cobra subframes, they just needed wider holes drilled and a few tweaks to fit my recaros

brad moles mk1 golf progress by bradmole, on Flickr

took the runners off

replaced this thick washer for 2 small ones to sit lower, and had to cut the diagonal bar off because it got in the way of where my new holes were to go

i made up some new taller square locator pieces for the runenrs too as the ones they came with were loose in the runners

and fitted in the car, they sit pretty nicely and give me front to back adjuctment, but no height adjustment, this aint a porblem though as they are just right

and fitted my little go kart steering wheel, i know i will get hated for this but i just want it for fun (i havent fitted the horn cover yet)

and pulled out all the loom again as im going to start again with it with the later type fusebox, what a waste of time that was

made up a blanking plate too for covering where the heater pipes would have came out of the head, need to paint this still

oh and a few cali scents to keep me going

Back to the top
Very nice, I like the colour nice choice

Did you buy the rear lights like that or did you paint them and if so with what and how? :)

….also where did you order the number plates from?

Thanks.

Back to the top
Excellent work as usual, good to see you are cracking on again, was starting to think you were giving up!

Good move on the loom to, I guess you are going to use a later mk1 fuseboard and gti loom? So same connectors as pre 90 spec mk2, so you could use a pre 90 spec mk2 16v loom, along with the ecu etc. Get rid of the crappy isv, trottle senor and control box, and use a mk1 auxiliary air valve, taking a constant live from the same place the warm up reg does. (like factory :wink: )

I never understand why people end up bodging wiring, and pump relays not on the fusebox, or on switches? Its easy to make it work like factory, esp' as you can use Rubjonny's excellent print outs of all the locations!

Sorry if i'm telling you stuff you already know :redfaced:

Keep us updated!

Back to the top
thanks guys, pete thats awesome info, i keep getting told stuff and getting confused but i think im on the right lines and kind of understanding what to do a bit more now, just this bit i dont understand so much? could you explain a little? cant help to have plenty info to help me as im not very experienced with engines lol

Get rid of the crappy isv, trottle senor and control box, and use a mk1 auxiliary air valve, taking a constant live from the same place the warm up reg does. (like factory  )

Back to the top
Glad to help :D

As for that bit, the isv or idle stablization valve sits next to the inlet on the right hand side on a mk2, and the loom that plugs into the isv also goes to a switch on the trottle body and a diaphram on the back of the mk2 air box. It also has it's own control box which most of this plugs into. (It controls the idle). Long story short get shot of the isv, put the aux air valve(from 8v kjet mk1 gti) in its place, give it power feed, and pipe it up as per the isv, and it will do the job better, and without all the other wires, plus it makes the conversion cleaner.

I converted my 1300 driver, to 16v on kjet,

Below is what I have pasted out of my build on here; (using the mk2 engine/ecu loom)

Started to go through the mk2 loom, and see what I will need, and where I will need to add in any wires. The donar mk2 was a 87' 16v mk2 golf, so pre 90 spec, and uses the same fuse box as a late mk1 etc, so the large white loom plug will plug straight into my late mk1 fuse box, (this won't work on a early mk1 Fusebox).  

After some help from top man Mark  :wink: , and sitting down with a brew and seeing how it all works, I started to cut, shorten, lengthen the loom to how I wanted it. I got rid of the ISV, and used a Aux air valve from a mk1 gti instead, and used rubjonny's excellent wiring and fusebox docs, to find where the power would have been for this from factory, (takes a live feed from the same place as the warm up reg), and then ran a permanent live to it, and earthed it. I also got rid of the throttle stop switch, diaphram switch etc, as you don't need it if you are running the aux air valve.

Got the loom down to how I wanted it, as I was upgraded to a mk2 wiper motor, it was plug and play with the mk2 loom.

Same for the fan and rad switch loom, used the mk2 one as it plugs straight into the mk1 loom.

As I had removed the whole loom from the mk2 when I scraped it, I used the rear loom (black plug) to wire in the fuel pump etc. I removed the section of loom which feeds the lift pump, sender unit, and main fuel pump (Bonus as i'm using a non gti tank, so am using a late cab lift pump, same as mk2 gti, so plug and play again!) Then soldered in the purple wire for the fuel sender, and found where the power feed for the pumps comes from, (black loom plug, pin 14 if I remember rightly) then put the wire in the empty space in the loom plug, a wire from this also powers the aux, air valve and warm up reg as mentioned earlier, so again plug and play. I will be using the complete mk2 pump and accumlator set up, but this should be the same if using the mk1 setup. Finally plug the fuel pump relay in position 2, and it should all work like factory Wink (he says! lol!)

To add to the above, the fuel pumps would not prime until I connected a black 2 pin connector from the ecu/tci loom to the engine loom, (from memory it was a black & yellow and red & yellow wires, but you only need one wire connected) can't remember which one for sure, but I can find out for you.

If your looms are a real mess, might be worth trying to get a pre90 spec 16v loom & the ecu/tci loom.

Was it was running a 16v before, but on bike carbs? - Is the gti pump and accumlator still on it/do you have it?

Hope this helps a bit.

Any more questions, give me a shout :wink:

Back to the top
thanks again buddy,

yeah all seems pretty easy to do, do you have a link to the guide by rubjohnny you used?

the car was running a 16v before i bought it so everything should be there (except the loom was in a state so im going to look for a whole new loom)

Back to the top
I think you can find the the fusebox guide on here, maybe its a sticky in the electrical section.

Yeah thought it was that mk1, glad to see it go to someone who is doing such a good job.

Was it on carbs or kjet when you got it? If carbs then it would have had a different fuel pump, and you will need the kjet pump & accumulator.

Let us know how you get on :D

Back to the top
pretty small updates but i thought id upload some new pics

fitted my number plate on the back

i got this baby delivered

and this kamei bonnet air vent

i know the vent is a bit marmite, but what the hell

Back to the top
Go for it mate, not my cup of tea (the vent) but damn good to see something different on a MK1 ;) All else looks the nuts :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.