Skip navigation

Arf's 1991 Clipper Winter TLC Restoration.

Back to the top

1991 Clipper Restoration *back from respray 06.05.12*

got some new wheels coming this week :D :D

also got some clear inner lamps coming from ebay so can change back to 4 lamp soon

here are the wheels, they are coming off somones mk2:

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
How come your changing the wheels mate, the current ones set it off a treat.

Looking great in the snow aswell

Back to the top
Thnaks Ceri. Reason is i just really like the snowflakes :) + i think if who ever bought it brand new forked out for the upgraded paint then they would have paid for the optional upgrade alloys to match too

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
We will be able to carbon date your car before long Scott with the number of different boots youve had :lol:;)Chris

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
Can i ask where you got that interior from??

Cheers, Stu :)

Back to the top
I got it on ebay, I sold it on to someone else on here, its going to be in a Lhasa Green tintop when his project is finished

Oh and i recognise you avatar… you posted the pic up on the Bristol Dub Love facebook group :)

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
i had a moment of madness and put the car on ebay. i was offered a few cool things, impreza, vw beach buggy, 2009 motorbikes :)

but the car threw a tantrum the it was for sale, misfired and split the carb seal so i jacked the auction

anyway ive bought these now for when i fit the snowflakes :)

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
Hi Arf, loving the thread dude.

Just started a clipper project myself and concentrating on the paintwork first. I have a question if you dont mind me asking.

What did you do about the textured stone guard on the bottom of every panel?

Do i sand it smooth? completely remove it? or just key it for primer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the top

ajstokes24 said

Hi Arf, loving the thread dude.

Just started a clipper project myself and concentrating on the paintwork first. I have a question if you dont mind me asking.

What did you do about the textured stone guard on the bottom of every panel?

Do i sand it smooth? completely remove it? or just key it for primer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mate im not 100% what you mean the only stone chip pretection mine had was the decals on the front of the rear arches? I just peeled them off you can buy them new from VW Heritage

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
Well in that case this stuff does not sound original. Its like a textured rubber spray on stuff that is then painted over. Ugly looking stuff in my opinion.

Gonna have to remove it all if it doesn't smooth out very well.

Thanks for the response mate

A.J.

Back to the top
Lovely coilovers mate. get them fitted and post a pic up :)

Back to the top
AJ get some pics up so we can see what you mean mate :) i might be having a blonde moment!!

And cheers smudger im not putting coilovers on yeat i wanna get the snowflakes refurbed first :)
or might buy some brand new wheels

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
Snowflakes just work well on pretty much everything imo Scott, especially if they're colour coded to the bodywork… I'd stick with them

E ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Get some news alloys too in case you change your mind.  :ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:

Back to the top

front apron 1 by ajstokes24, on Flickr

front apron by ajstokes24, on Flickr

This is the stuff i mean Scott. Ive partially sanded it so it shows better in the photo. The front and back of the golf are like this, then on the sides of the car it goes up to the sills. Is this not normal then?  O_o

Back to the top
ooohh yea I know what you mean - I justcouldnt picture it :)

I have that behind the clipper kit - it cant be seen though :)

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
ahhh ok well it makes me happier since at least its meant to be there. Yeah my problem is that (maybe to some peoples dismay) I am hoping to go for the small chrome bumpers.

Have you ever seen this been done to a clipper or any cabriolet for that matter?

Cheers again for your help Scott.

Back to the top
right a bit of an update….. ive finally got round to fitting the coilovers and the snowflakes :)
by that i mean a garage did all the hard work i couldnt be bothered to tackle the suspension lol

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
mate looks quality! glad lee and gav sorted it for ya. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh, wheels look good to !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Looking good Scott  :thumbs:  :cool:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.