Skip navigation

This is where it all started for me!

Back to the top

This is where it all started for me!

Dano said

It was tighter than DjEv's wallet come pay time for the Germany purchases!!  :mrgreen:

If I could borrow it this week if be very grateful… Please post.

Can't believe it was that tight!
I'll post it tomorrow.

Back to the top

Yomp said

Dano said

It was tighter than DjEv's wallet come pay time for the Germany purchases!!  :mrgreen:

If I could borrow it this week if be very grateful… Please post.
Can't believe it was that tight!
I'll post it tomorrow.
Had to take a hack saw to it then a bar to chip away while hoovering the bits out as we went!! No bits went inside!!!

Back to the top
Hex key on its way

Back to the top
Its running, air lock sorted and a trip round the block under its belt  :ocf_emoticons__cheer:BUT……

I small water leak revealed that the pipe had cracked and was leaking at the bottom. :banghead:     
Nearly there though. :ocf_emoticons__icon_wink: 

Back to the top

Back to the top
Chips and gravy on Southport seafront.

IMG_1329.JPG

Got a 'Hello, are you in the Owners Club' from fellow owner and long time absent member benandemu . Had a good chat and off he cycled! Thanks for stopping Ben.

Back to the top
Today I have been mostly been getting the cracks in the door tops filled.

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

And fitting a 1984 year Blaupunkt radio cassette. All works well except the electric aerial catches on the garage door as I drive in!! Looks like I'll have to carry on pushing it in for a while!!

IMG_1316.JPG

Fitted a new rear view mirror too to get rid of the old brown blotches mine. Hopefully there'll be less vibration and more rear view!! The new Bosch 075 S4 battery is being maintained by a CTEK trickle charge battery charger.

IMG_1318.JPG

Now the hunt for a new large capacity washer bottle for the headlamp washer system to match the new expansion tank!!  :lol:

Nearly match fit for Ultimate Dubs now. 

Back to the top
>>>>And fitting a 1984 year Blaupunkt radio cassette. All works well except the electric aerial catches on the garage door as I drive in!! Looks like I'll have to carry on pushing it in for a while!!

I take it your electric aerial is wired directly to the ignition?  is it not possible to have it to the radio live or a dedicated switch?

Back to the top
Looking good Dan. The door tops have come out a treat.

Back to the top

PNERivage said

>>>>And fitting a 1984 year Blaupunkt radio cassette. All works well except the electric aerial catches on the garage door as I drive in!! Looks like I'll have to carry on pushing it in for a while!!

I take it your electric ariel is wired directly to the ignition?  is it not possible to have it to the radio live or a dedicated switch?

I've pondered on that one Tony. It would just be another switch to flick when I got out - and I'd probably forget, next thing a broken aerial.
I can live with it as it is.

Thanks Dave. Cheaper than buying new at £82.00 a side!!!  :o

Back to the top
Door tops look awesome mate. Forgive the stupid question but what exactly did you use to achieve those results? Would similar stuff work on a cracked dash?

Back to the top
I had a guy come round to do the door tops but he's done them previously - the the dash where a bit a fag ash must have fallen off and melted the plastic in front of the steering wheel. (16/9/04). The process is pretty quick, about an hour for both sides. 
He glued the trim back in place (I tried different types but couldn't get it to stick), filled the cracks with a bit of compound and then textured it up. Finally a light spray with some kind of plastic paint.

I was nattering on so much well that I forgot to ask him to do the centre console scratches!  :P

Back to the top
A couple more additions for my birthday today….

Purchased from www.classicparts.de

Part number 171 955 453 K

b615a734726a57c7237f19a673a6e992476c20ae3fbc1e6efa4e487739639d4602_Original.jpeg

5c9fd65e1a681b32ff0cc3829bd0acd51a18eb72944fa2237b55ed44100b33e502_Original.jpeg

And dealer plates etc from www.dmb.uk.com as advertised on the site to the left <<<<<<

cb408353f08ecce8b791747686ab1c988d564a530917870d917c1a0f0ff9e32502_Original.jpeg ">

Back to the top
In the words of Jessie from The Fast Show, "Today I have been mostly preparing for Ultimate Dubs"!!

Plates mounted  
IMG_1333.JPG

and sticker IMG_1327.JPG

Back to the top
Looking good Dan. Plates and sticker are a nice touch, nice shine you have on that bootlid. Hope you're keeping those wheelarches clean :lol:

Back to the top
Got ahead of the game - before MOT time and fixed the blown main beam tell- tale bulb.

Clocks out

IMG_1335.JPG

And following the thread in the electrical FAQ section…

View topic: Help - Main beam warning light -FIXED UPDATE- - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

It worked a treat. 
IMG_1334.JPG

Back to the top
Top work Dano.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Cheers Smudger 1980.  :thumbs:Today I put on a pair of door strikers. Mine were sounding very rough when I closed them. The drivers door had the plastic insert missing since I bought it in 2002 so always sounded 'metallic' when it was closed but the passenger lost its one recently so I bit the bullet.

They do work. Whatever the plastic insert does it makes the doors sound "just like a Golf" as the advert says. A solid 'thud' as they close has returned. 
IMG_1324.JPG

Back to the top
Did the old ones undo easily? I remember when I did mine they needed a ridiculous amount of welly to get them off!!   :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Did the old ones undo easily? I remember when I did mine they needed a ridiculous amount of welly to get them off!!   :lol:

They'd been off for the re-spray in 2011 so were pretty easy to undo. £23.00, should have done it years ago!! :$
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.