Skip navigation

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Updated 18/06/2014

Back to the top

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Little updated 14/12/12

75golf said

Only for parts :-)

i have seen those inserts before but i cant temember on what- i think it was on a very rusty 76 i broke for parts…mine has new wings though as its done over 200k- if they were there they are long gone..

When abouts in 75 was yours built?

u got any spare parts?> lol

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

i think mine was built 18/1/1975 (got to be one of the 1st)
You sure? Yours looks to be a 76 model year car, hence the 176 chassis Vin start - or so i thought. From your VIN its around october or November 75 i think. I only looked because its P reg and it should have been on an N if it was that date..

Parts i have some parts -alot of small interior stuff - some body panels im keeping for mine and odds and sods, - send me a pm with anything you need …. worth a go as i may have a spare. 8)

Mark

Back to the top

75golf said

Swallowtail_uk said

i think mine was built 18/1/1975 (got to be one of the 1st)
You sure? Yours looks to be a 76 model year car, hence the 176 chassis Vin start - or so i thought. From your VIN its around october or November 75 i think. I only looked because its P reg and it should have been on an N if it was that date..

Parts i have some parts -alot of small interior stuff - some body panels im keeping for mine and odds and sods, - send me a pm with anything you need …. worth a go as i may have a spare. 8)

Mark

just dug out the V5 , registration was  18/12/1975 ……

Back to the top
Nick seems to have his fingers in a few mk1 pies :)  i bought mine from him in january.

got yourself a nice little project there, nice to see these early ones getting rebuilt and not ripped apart for spares

Back to the top
There's one on Ebay at the moment, £5K immac light blue body but the engine looks more like a later 80s replacement?

Edit - description does say it was a W-reg now registered as a R-Reg

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

sweetmk1dub said

Nick seems to have his fingers in a few mk1 pies :)  i bought mine from him in january.

got yourself a nice little project there, nice to see these early ones getting rebuilt and not ripped apart for spares

nicks just my recovery drive, wat car did u buy of him, bet i know it.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

There's one on Ebay at the moment, £5K immac light blue body but the engine looks more like a later 80s replacement?

Edit - description does say it was a W-reg now registered as a R-Reg

didnt see it. u got a item number?

i did see a nice gold driver……..that was worth the money.

bob

Back to the top

label up the wires

cambelt cover had "5400" - what does this mean?

picture of my golf project mk1 cabby….will be for SALE SOON…ANY1 INTERESTED?

sticker in the pass side door post - these have been sent off to get remade.

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

sweetmk1dub said

red 2.0l 8v, quite possibly an oettinger lump but thats not yet been confirmed

Back to the top
Nice project!

Banner

Back to the top

sweetmk1dub said

Swallowtail_uk said

sweetmk1dub said

yes i know the one

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

sweetmk1dub said

Swallowtail_uk said

sweetmk1dub said

yes i know the one

its coming together slowly, should be on the road this time next month hopefully

Back to the top
Im looking for someone who would like to merrie me!!!

I want to live in UK, I want to buy something like that!!!

OH MY GOD PEOPLE!!! Where do you find this cars???? :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

Beautiful one mate!  :tank:

Das Gnoj 1,1L 1978.
FEEL FREE TO VISIT US ON www.golfmk1.com.hr

Back to the top

Baljulji said

Im looking for someone who would like to merrie me!!!

I want to live in UK, I want to buy something like that!!!

OH MY GOD PEOPLE!!! Where do you find this cars???? :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

Beautiful one mate!  :tank:

cant marry you. but thank u

Back to the top
Can't wait to see progress on this. It will be awesome. I noticed you said you are gonna restore it back to it's original factory condition. I take it that means you'll be holding on to that interior? It's exactly what I'm looking for, so if you ever feel the need to part with it, I'd take it from you.
Nice car though mate, good luck with the resto :D

Mk1 Golf 1983 1.5 GX

Back to the top
yes im keeping the interior, ive just got it back for the interior trimmers, had the lines sowen in. The chap said, the interior was the best old skool one hes seen and that the inner bolsters were excellent.

As the car had abit of damage to the chrome bumpers, instead of buying new repo's (the easy way out), i splashed out alot of money getting them straighted, striped, polished then chrome plated. Picture will be uploaded soon of these.

Back to the top
whilst stripping found this: original blub holding kit, untouched.

Original dealer sticker

ok more areas to address - i HATE rust! :banghead:

rear seat clips are different:bolts to the body.

more strip down pics:

notice the steering coloum brackets different:

carpets, no holes,burns or rips :)

me with all the car loom 8)  :lol:

heater box - different

seats:

dash out, needs repairing - sun cracks :(

Rear door cards were peeling, so the interior dude sort these out for FREE!

all glass out

roof linging out - took ages removing with a pickin tool - around the tailgate surround the lining was glue down.

Back to the top
Nice find and nice work so far - it's really nice to have the space to lay everything out and look at it properly. Nice raddo too - and I've seen your mate's swallowtail at E38 before I think - good stuff…

Will enjoy watching your progress for sure 8)

Rich

Back to the top
Hey nice!!, blimey its not too bad rust wise . Nice find on the bulbs - did you find the tool kit?

Are you having the stickers remade and if so how do you go about doing it? I have a one that used to be in the car that has long since failed due to UV.

Enjoying the updates  8)
Mark

Back to the top
VW Stickers are good for OEM spec decals/stickers. they should be able to reproduce any to spec too.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.