Skip navigation

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Updated 18/06/2014

Back to the top

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Little updated 14/12/12

wow this is  great . when can i drop mine offer to you .

Back to the top
love the dipping and galvanising process, brings the car right back to factory.

Back to the top

JonP said

love the dipping and galvanising process, brings the car right back to factory.

you mean brings the car to the bank, rather then the factory!  :lol:

Back to the top
Wow that dipping looks good! So does the car as well!

Back to the top
WOW, absolutely WOW!!!

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top

GTInCyprus said

WOW, absolutely WOW!!!

thank you.

Back to the top
first thing for me to do was use POR15 under the wings, floor, lower half of engine bay, inside all 4 arches: *WARNING - POR15 is Excellent paint, however always remember to wear protective gear as it doesn't come off your skin easily. - wish someone told me

Also had to buy these floor disc washers, as they got lost during the acid process. ( Thought they were "tacked" down…guess not) :banghead:  Genuine replacement

Once it had a good few protective coats, next was to seam seal all joints: I was going to keep this neat and tidy but decided against it and to go for the messy original factory finish…of course using 3M products.

Last bit of sealing the car was the 3M bag sealer ….this stuff is awesome but sprays everywhere….very thick and close you can get to original finish…
Protective clothing… 8)  :lol:

Lower engine bay - yes this is not original - but I am building a car to last as way as be original….

Front Arches:

Rear Arches:

note to myself - next update bag sealer underneath/ dyno matting

Back to the top
Awesome attention to detail mate

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
this will not rust for  100 years i rekon. how do those bags work? great work ;)

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
Dude very nicely done im sure i say this for everyone MORE PICS !!!! lol  u think of a colour yet u gonna spray the car?

Back to the top
what a fantastic build, cant wait to see whats next, well done and respect!

Back to the top
Hey fella

Just had to say fair play on the build so far, read thru this last night and wanted to say loving your skills and attention to detail, very nice to see.

I was going to dip my s1 GTI but went media blasting route instead when I started working out costs… haha

Looks like a really solid base to work from, wish I could say the same about mine, think it was dipped in the sea and left to bake in the sun then occasionally sprinkled with salt whenever it rained…  :banghead:

Look forward to following this further.

J

Back to the top

boyle_sbd said

this will not rust for  100 years i rekon. how do those bags work? great work ;)

3M Bag sealer = £14.50 per bag (cover 1ft x 1ft)

Its into 3 parts……."A", "B" & "C"

A - Internally tube
B - Sealer
C - Activator

You have to break the seal between C & B be squeezing, mix it up for about 5mins, then break the seal on A, (slowly) and shake gentle until the internal tube extends inside the bag. You will then need a Special 3M Gun, which you attach the bag and air line too, then spray away….as thick as you want. Allow it to dry and its paint-able. Hope this helps.

Back to the top

Rockfordgun said

Dude very nicely done im sure i say this for everyone MORE PICS !!!! lol  u think of a colour yet u gonna spray the car?

original atlas white - its a creamy colour then white.

Back to the top
that sounds like fun. i fink ill be gettin some of those when the time comes. thanks for the info :)

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
error in post :lol:

Back to the top
Sealing the underneath….

Inside of wings where given a coat too…and side seam sealed

Seam sealing the rear end…

Roof rails seam sealed….

Tailgate seam sealed….

Doors seam sealed…

Bonnet was seam sealed all around as I wanted it too look neat & tidy without the flex(yes its not original like this)…

Back to the top
This will one day be the oldest Mk1 in existance! it's never going to rot! 8)

Back to the top

bouchay said

thats the plan  8) … Even though I get offers all the time for the car (even at this stage) its not for sale…….unless I get the figure that's in my head ….then everything is for sale. I got asked the other day to build a BMW 2002 tii for someone…. I don't think they realise how much it would cost inc labour.

Back to the top

bouchay said

nope mine will last longer as i dont drive it  :cry:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.