Skip navigation

Mars red Series 1 Mk1 golf Driver G60

Back to the top

golf1980's 1980 golf driver G60

Sportline-Toby said

How do Rich!

I'll be down to see you in it as i'll need to put some miles on it before it goes to get properly set up.

will have to sort a little golf mini meet out if your down our way :D

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Sportline-Toby said;
How do Rich!Your car looks lovely mate, well done!Brilliant pics of the wedding day, glad the charger did its job for you.I'm going to give my car a massive push over the next month and as soon as I can, I'll be down to see you in it as i'll need to put some miles on it before it goes to get properly set up.Still loads to do, currently working on the interior (Corrado Heated Electric Recaro's in the original Sportline material), hopefully it will look very OEM+Catch you soon no doubt,Tobe
Thanks mate. Thanks for lending me the charger too. it was a great day! made even better for me by having the golf there.
Get your car done and get over here! i really want to see it. I owe you many many beers.

Alfie said;
will have to sort a little golf mini meet out if your down our way  :D
this is a good idea.I suggest The Stratton Arms on a sunny day :Di was looking through some of my old stuff the other day and found a couple of photos of when i first got the car home nearly 10 years ago.
they're are pics of oldschool photos so i apologise for the poor quality. i need a good camera really as most of my photos are quite bad :(

i went to see my golf for the first time this year yesterday as it is at frankies auto paintwork and saw this little beauty

and took a pic of my wheel fitment because i didnt have one of the front

there is a bit of space to go lower but i drive it a lot and dont want to damage anything when I'm cornering.
when it leaves the body shop, it will be so shiny! I'm getting excited about this years shows already! i'll lower it for show days i recon. then raise it up for everyday use.
maybe air is the way to go? we'll see.

Back to the top
some people would think that had been taken on an iphone, its funny how styles change.

Back to the top
Rich, you know as soon as my car is MOT'd ill be down to see you.  I need to put the miles on.  It might not be finished with the roof etc but i'll be down asap.

A few beers sounds good, you never know, we might be able to break out the BBQ if we're lucky and you're up for a mini shin dig at your gaff.
Or we could just stay in the pub and talk all things G60.

Back to the top
Hi mate, just wondering what size tyres you were running on the bbs mahles when they were on your mk1?

really nice car by the way, love the beakersblog pic  :thumbs:

cheers

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Great wee motor bud, Love the build quality of those G23 Adaptors, lovely looking bit of kit.

Back to the top
This car is clean and I like the little details that you are adding to it.

Back to the top
toby, cant wait to see your car. shindig/bbq at mine/pub sounds good to me :) hoping for good weather!

Ned,  they were 195/45/15s mate. thanks :) i love that pic too.

AaronGTi. thanks alot. they really are the best adaptors ive seen. lighter than my 20mm ones too!

Roadboss. thanks buddy. it has taken time to add them all but when people notice the little touches, it makes me feel good so thanks very much.

ill be updating this in the next few weeks once it is out of the bodyshop. cant wait. i havent driven it yet this year…

Back to the top
Well it has been a while since i put any pics up so here are a couple of how it looked on friday after it had been in the body shop for a while. just ready in time for early edition in northampton.

the eagle eyed people may have noticed that the chrome sill trim is missing. unfortunately it got damaged in storage so i have ordered some new ones but have to wait 8/9 weeks for it to arrive!

It went in for its mot today and failed on 4 things.
The horn has stopped working
The number plate lamps dont work
The rear brakes need adjusting and the front brake lines are too short causing them to stretch on full lock!
dodgy mechanic that fitted my engine and brakes is to blame for this. I dont want to talk to that guy so I'll sort that out myself.
earls performance is only down the road in silverstone so I'll get some made up there.

we had our work cut out getting it clean in time for EE

dusty eh?

i have also bought 2 more sets of wheels.
a set of very nice face mounted image dm's. 16x7 et 25? not exactly sure of the offset. i purchased them from beany1234 and i think they are bloomin marvelous and they clear my calipers!

not the best pic but these will go on in the next few months.
just need to notch the chassis and do a few other things to get them fitting as i want them.

i also bought a very rare set of steels. 15x6 g60 steels. these are not to be confused with the common 'g60' passat winters of which i also have a set of and can still be purchased new from vw. the real g60s were apparently only sold in germany on corrados during the winter and are now obsolete. ill get a pic of these up soon. i plan to get these banded but on the inside so they still look original. they have an et of 35 so i can space them out.
i'll post a pic up in a bit. i need to take one of them first!

Back to the top
She's a beauty mate. I'm jealous  :wub:  :wub:

Back to the top
Agreed! Gorgeous :wub:  :cool:

Back to the top
thanks guys! your words mean a lot :)

i just took a pic of the new g60 steels;

as you can see they have circular holes in stead of the 'd' shaped holes in passat winters;

i also have some better photos of my first ever set of splits;

and here is a pic of them fitted to beany1234s car at players last year;

and finally here is a pic of my car(courtesy of mathers) at early edition yesterday;

it is the only one i have found yet. I had a good day. I met smokeybubbles too and we had a nice chat. if you read this mate, it was nice to meet you :)

if anyone sees me at a show please come and make yourself known. I love to meet fellow mk1oc members!

Back to the top
The g60's look awesome on almost any car they are fitted too. Nice choice. Stick some pics up of the splits fitted :)

Back to the top
Looks good mate carnt wait to see the wheels fitted I reckon they will look spot on on your car 😊

Back to the top
Rich, thats looking lovely matey, very well done to you for sticking with it, I know its tested your patcience.
Im still having a mare as I have been let down badly by my mechanic who was going to do the loom etc.
I have the loom made but not fitted as I dont know wher eto connect the bits and pieces and the fuse board is daunting.  Im hopeful I can find someone with a g60 conversion so I can copy theirs.  I know yours is a series 1 fusebox though isn't it??
If it isnt and you fancy a night up here on the beers, then bring your car so I copy it (see where to put the wires).

Back to the top
hey Tobe. cheers mate. it has stressed me out so much but its nearly done and the feeling of excitement is great! just got to sort out all the little teething problems really then i'll be booking it in at jabbasport for a session.

That really sucks about your mechanic. I honestly know how it feels to be let down. unfortunately i cant help you out as like you say, mine is a series 1 fuse box :(i'll be over your way at some point this year. is all types near you?

As for teething problems,
been having a bit of trouble with the golf over the last few days. One of the boost pipes disconnected on a journey and the jubilee clip fell off so i had to drive about 4 miles with no boost :(i have since re connected the pipe but ever since that short trip it has felt very slow. the more i put my foot down the slower it feels. it is hard to explain. almost groggy if that makes sense? it wont rev up much past 4k. apparently there are huge flames firing out of the exhaust too.
also the fuel pump gets very loud and almost sounds as if it is struggling although it is a race pump. would a standard Gti pump be better? could there crud in the tank? the fuel gauge hasn't worked for about 4 years either.

Back to the top
Dodgy fuel pump?? Fuel delivery issues? Could be crud in the tank as you say mate. Hope you get it sorted :(

Back to the top
I respondd on edition matey but just in case you dont see it there…

Hmmmmmmmm, with all the info you have posted and the fact your fuel pump is loud, I would say that you're potentially running lean.  Combine this with a boost leak and you will have all manner of issues.

If you have noticed that your pump has gotten louder, I would say its struggling for one reason or another.  (Usally because it working much harder)Do you find its better when you first start your car and then when its warm it gets worse?  This would point to it being ok on startup due to extra fuelling from cold. Also, check the fuel pump relay, if this is getting hot then you have an issue and it may well be the lift pump in your tank. (I strongly suspect this is the case here)

This has a small disk filter on the bottom of it and it may well be blocked.  Failing that, the lift pump may have failed altogether and your car is relying on the fuel pump on the underside of your car. (Hence getting louder and the extra current its drawing will eventually burn your fuel pump relay out)

The lift pump is VERY easy to change, you just need to take your back bench out to get to the top of the fuel tank.  It will be a bronze disk on the top of the tank. (it may be under a black cover disk actually so remove this first). Using a piece of wood (prevent damge) and a hammer, tap the disk around until it comes lose and lift the pump out (you need to disconnect it too).  It will have an arm on it with basically what looks like a ping pong ball that acts on a guage (this is your level senser for your fuel guage).  Check everything over and give things a clean up. Make sure the needle touches the sliding point as I think it may act on variable resitance to give you a reading???  Also check the fuel pipes for splits as these break down eventually and although the pump may be fine, the fuel just can get through in the quantities and pressure required.  Probaly the cause of your problems as essntially your car sounds like its runing lean (fine at low revs and then dropping off up the rev range).

If it looks knackerd or you want to test it, I have a spare unit I can send down to you to try if you like.  Check to see if the filter on the bottom is clear.  Careful though as it gets fragile.

Process of elimination.  If this cures the loud noises from the pump then you have your solution and hopefully a fuel guage that works. Winner!

In the mean time,I wouldn't run your car if the relay is getting warm, they are quite expensive to buy (well an annoying purchase if you could have avoided it).

All in all, this should be a simple fix so don't worry about it.  check the lift pump (it really is a very easy job) and I think you will find this to be the source of your issues.

Hope this info helps you out matey.

Last edit: by Sportline-Toby

Back to the top
II saw that Toby. What an awesome response. Nice one mate. I recon you're spot on. I'll have a go this weekend.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
No worries mate, im looking forward to seeing you on the road eventually running problem free. As I have a said for a long time now, your car is one of my fvourites.
I can give you quite a bit of help with the fuel pump issues because I am talking from experiance  ;)
If I was closer to you mate i'd be straight over and give you a hand as we would have it swapped in a matter of minutes leaving plenty of time for the pub. :ninja:
Good luck with it pal, see if you can score some fuel hose from work if there is any floating about, you will only need about 1 foot of it (you hardly need any really but it gives you some scope for mess ups)
Make sure you let us know how you get on and good luck for the MOT on Monday! I wish my car was at that stage.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.