Skip navigation

Pistolpete's Mars Red Mk1 GTi restoration

Back to the top

Restoration thread for my 1983 Y-reg Mars Red GTi, non-sunroof model

tubbett said

I would suggest you have the incorrect bolts fitted to the lower wishbones joints. They need to be shouldered and this will lower the upper part of the joint.
Difficult to tell from the picture but !!

Not sure I get you. I have used the correct bolts throughout, the strut bolts, ball joint bolts and the balljoint pinch bolt. When I tighten the axle nut and it draws in the driveshaft, it is pulling the outer diameter of the CV joint hard up against the inside of the bearing housing. I've read a few threads about this being a problem and people turning the edge down in a lathe to create the required clearance.

Back to the top
Just when you expect everything to go smoothly eh!
I think the outer CV joints come in different diameters (from memory). I've just measured one of mine (83 GTi) and it's 80mm at the widest.
I've had about 4 different CV joints on mine over the years and never run into the problem you mention.
Out of interest, what brand did you buy?

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
These are Meyle outers, bought from Autodoc who list them against the correct OE part number 171498099cx so I assumed they'd be spot on. It's not the 80mm diameter bit that's wrong, it's the tapered section after the first step, it's about 66mm. It's definitely the outer joint that's the problem, I popped in my original joint and it rotated freely when the axle nut was tightened.

I noticed VW Heritage don't list an outer CV for the GTi, maybe they know there's an issue.

Back to the top
possibly a stupid question, but is the bearing pressed in all the way? Just thinking if it's not then maybe the CV joint is going into the hub too far…

I have noticed that there aren't many places that seem to do MK1 GTI outers. I just stripped and cleaned all mine (horrible job) as they looked ok.

Real PITA that though as I bet they weren't cheap.

Back to the top
Just throwing an idea out there. I have seen un-shouldered bolts used in the lower wishbone pinch hole and this allows the joint to run higher than it should, which could then affect the CV joint entering the bearing assembly correctly.

It's always tough to tell from a picture. I'm sure you will get to the answer buddy  :thumbs:

Do it once and do it right! ok, we've identified the problem, lets not make it worse by guessing……… Identifying the sympton is not the same as understanding the cause :)

Back to the top

tubbett said

Just throwing an idea out there.

It's always tough to tell from a picture. I'm sure you will get to the answer buddy  :thumbs:

Don't get me wrong Tubbett, I wasn't dismissing your suggestion, I just wondered if you could see something in the pic that I was missing.  I appreciate the help.

Back to the top
A frustrating day, have now removed both driveshafts again to decide how to fix the issue.  You can see the difference in the profile of the original compared to the new one.  Where the original tapers out a little and then goes flat, the newer one is a continuous taper, and this is where it is binding on the bearing housing.

P1080033_LI.jpg

I'm thinking at this stage I might bite the bullet and order a pair of GKN Lobro joints, they are expensive but at least I could take them back if the problem is the same, but looking at the profile of these joints online makes me think they should be ok.

Back to the top
I carried on getting the engine bay back together.  Got the heater hoses connected, the aux air valve back on, connected up a lot of the wiring whilst trying to make it as tidy as possible (not easy in the Mk1 I must admit), and trial fitted the vacuum hoses (I need a few more ear clamps as I've run out).

Managed to get the new genuine brake reservoir fitted, but my God this was a serious wrestling match to get past the new master cylinder seals.

P1080038.JPG

Back to the top
Looking good pete!

Back to the top
Cheers Mark.

I'm still going, pushing on now to try and get it finished.

Metering head and new HEL stainless injector lines installed.  The quality of the HEL stuff if fantastic, although I might cut off the yellow labels as it's a bit in your face.  The main fuel supply/return lines all connected up and all but the battery and fan wiring is connected.

P1080042.JPG

New genuine coolant header fitted, although I'm not sure the hose I've been supplied is the correct one as all the bends seem unnecessary.  Anyway, that's the latest update from tonight.  Tomorrow's challenge is to trial fit the exhaust so I can measure up for the adaptor from the manifold to the front silencer.

P1080047.JPG

P1080049.JPG P1080052.JPG

Back to the top
Amazing looking engine Bay!  :o  Really like the OEM look.  :thumbs:

Regarding the CV joints, I use the Eurowise ones, and together with those there was custom made shims to mount between bearing and cv joints if the bearing house was before 19xx? Can remember what year, but maybe this could help ? I think their is different bearing houses…

Back to the top
Looks superb mate, absolutely superb!

Whilst you are in your bay, could you tell me where the vacuum pipe that goes to the MFA goes through the bulk head? It's the one thing I can't see on those pictures (mainly because I can just see my jealous face reflected in my screen!).

Back to the top

paceman said

Looks superb mate, absolutely superb!

Whilst you are in your bay, could you tell me where the vacuum pipe that goes to the MFA goes through the bulk head? It's the one thing I can't see on those pictures (mainly because I can just see my jealous face reflected in my screen!).

Cheers for all the comments so far.

Jason, you can see here where I've labelled up the vacuum pipe hole in the bulkhead to the MFA.  Hope that helps.

P1030905.JPG

Back to the top
Winner, thanks Pete!

Bet you can't wait to be driving it, although I'd imagine you'll be in 2 minds. Drive it when its finished, in winter, or wait until spring.

Jason

Back to the top
So, with this project coming towards the end, this has now happened!

I'll start a separate project thread for this one in due course.

Back to the top
Nice! That looks very tidy.
Bet you were wondering what you were going to do with all that free time!

J

Back to the top
just went through your thread after you commented on my post yesterday, great car, great work! I'm in derry myself so may see you at some north/south show in the future  ;)

Back to the top

paceman said

Nice! That looks very tidy.
Bet you were wondering what you were going to do with all that free time!

J

Cheers J, unfortunately the picture makes it look much better than it really is.  But I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it……and its got a 16v engine on twin 40's !!!

Back to the top

kieranwilson99 said

just went through your thread after you commented on my post yesterday, great car, great work! I'm in derry myself so may see you at some north/south show in the future  ;)

Thanks very much Kieran, I'm hoping to have the red one out in 2020 so fingers crossed.  I've not doubt we'll catch up at one of the events.

Back to the top
About time for another small update.  Progress has been slow due to niggling issues to sort out.  Got the outer CV joints sorted at last, ordered GKN Lobro ones from Eurocarparts.  They took a while to arrive, but the difference in quality from the Meyle ones was obvious.  And they fit correctly.

I've also had trouble getting the connecting piece modified from the 4-2-1 manifold outlet to mate with the 60mm Powersprint system.  The first place I went to made a complete hash of it, so I went to an old mate's place who sorted me.  But this on it's own has taken a few weeks to get sorted.

Front Eibach ARB fitted (at last, this was a proper wrestling match).
P1080056.JPG

Powersprint 60mm race system fitted.  I love the rear silencer on this.
P1080074.JPG P1080078.JPG

Engine bay latest.
P1080080.JPG

I've got a slight weep from one of the brake pipe fittings (ironically one of the Automec ones and not any that I flared myself).  Luckily its the easiest one to do, front passenger side caliper so only a short section.  I reckon it'll be 2020 before I get any further now.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.