Skip navigation

Pistolpete's Mars Red Mk1 GTi restoration

Back to the top

Restoration thread for my 1983 Y-reg Mars Red GTi, non-sunroof model

Been beavering away at this for the last few months when I get a chance, I've been given an indoor space at Dubshed 2019 show here in Northern Ireland, but not sure it's going to be ready.

Brake lines are all run in now.  I had bought an Automec kit, but to be honest the front pipes weren't right for using the 22mm master cylinder, so I ended up buying a roll of conifer pipe and a brake flaring tool.  In hindsight, I should have just gone this route to begin with, very satisfying job.

P1070284.JPG

P1070285.JPG

I've been mulling over exhausts for ages, but finally bit the bullet and ordered a Powersprint 60mm stainless system direct from Germany.  Have to say, the quality is amazing.  It does have a slightly upswept tailpipe which I'm not sure about yet, but will see when it's fitted.

P1070273.JPG

Metering head and airbox refurbished with new stainless bolts, new gasket, all cleaned up and repainted in Eastwood Underhood black and Aluma Blast.  New metering head o-ring seal etc.  Managed to salvage the wee black VW/Audi sticker and stick it back on to keep it totally original.

P1070369.JPG P1070371.JPG P1070373.JPG

Back to the top
Neat job on the brake lines. That is the master cylinder I'm after, where did you buy it and the reservoir please?

Back to the top

chrisL said

Neat job on the brake lines. That is the master cylinder I'm after, where did you buy it and the reservoir please?

Master cylinder is a Meyle item from VW Heritage, the reservoirs are like hens teeth now to get new, but I already had one fitted previously so have just cleaned it up.  Would prefer a new one though as the plastic has yellowed a bit.

Back to the top
Looking good!! I've run one brake line (o/s front) but have been debating whether the rears go in front, or behind the steering rack. I can see you've gone in front, so that must be right!
Keep up the good work!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
metering head stickers here if it falls off!

https://www.dmb.uk.com/prod/2041/volkswagen-metering-head-decal

Back to the top

Yomp said

metering head stickers here if it falls off!

https://www.dmb.uk.com/prod/2041/volkswagen-metering-head-decal

Great find Yomp, might just get one anyway.

Yes I'm still going to the show regardless. It'll be great to see your car in the flesh (is it the red one?). 

Back to the top

Pistol said

Yomp said

Great find Yomp, might just get one anyway.

Yes I'm still going to the show regardless. It'll be great to see your car in the flesh (is it the red one?).
yes red 79 S1

Back to the top

Back to the top
What should I do to protect the gearbox finish?  It has been glass bead blasted.  I don't really want to paint it, but have heard people applying clear lacquer?  Or should I just leave it in it's current state, which might not last very long once I'm driving it again.

P1060025.JPG

Back to the top
Here heads up matey don't go town on it
As it be full sand or glass.   Which ever you blasted it with.  Don't care anyone says I've seen it so many times gets past all seals etc.   There be a coat sand inside stuck on bearings and gears

Pull it to bits wash out and fit new seals

Back to the top
Been busy doing lots of little fiddly jobs, getting bits prepped and painted for bolting back up, and have just got another box load of stuff back from the platers (I gave up on doing this myself for the most part, just too time consuming and I was having trouble getting the yellow passivate to adhere properly to the surface, perhaps Chrissy can advise me what I need to do on that).

Audi 2.2 throttle body refurbished.  Linkage removed and zinc plated, throttle body cleaned using Frost Ali Clean, then Eastwood Metal Prep and Ready, followed by Eastwood Etch Primer and finally a couple of coats of Eastwood Aluma Blast and Eastwood Crystal Clear Lacquer.  I'm really pleased with the finish on these bits:-
P1070415.JPG

P1070416.JPG

Alternator stripped down, casings cleaned following same process as above, and also got the mandatory Mars Red strip painted on.  Now ready for rebuild.

P1070400.JPG
P1070403.JPG P1070411.JPG

Back to the top
Got the head off and started cleaning up the block.  I'm not planning on stripping the bottom end as it all looks too good and the car only has 111k miles.  As for the head, well the original one isn't going back on but I'll talk about that later!!

P1070404.JPG P1070414.JPG

Back to the top
Lots of lovely shiny zinc plated loveliness…….still got loads to do !!!

P1070408.JPG

Back to the top
Excellent as usual.

I've managed to get a new reservoir from werk34.de for around £55.

Back to the top

chrisL said

Excellent as usual.

I've managed to get a new reservoir from werk34.de for around £55.

Cheers Chris.  I must have a look on werk34 for the reservoir.

Back to the top
Alternator refurbishment complete.  When you add up the amount of hours spent on refurbing just this one part, you really appreciate how much it takes for a full vehicle resto to a high standard.

P1070421.JPG P1070423.JPG P1070424.JPG

Back to the top
Better then new! 👍👌

Back to the top

Looking good, I will be keeping a eye on this

Back to the top
amazing work, that is going to be one lovely mk1 once finished.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
More great work again, Pete. Reminds me how far i still have to go with mine, i think we were at the body work stage at the same time but my side has slowed down a lot since completing the shell and your powering on.  Loving your attention to detail… hope you make the show in Ireland.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.