Skip navigation

Mynx the Tintop 1400 16v afh bike carb'd restomod

Back to the top

Back up and running and for sale!

As promised

Primer around the tailgate area, isdie of door panels etc

Engine bay sanded, and checked and a bit more work done

Rusty bit on the arch cut out and replaced and bumper mounting hole removed.

and a naked full frontal just for Hairyarse

The doors, tailgate and bonnet have all been primered and a bit of paint has been thrown about.
Did have a bit of an issue when my spray booth racking decided to collaspe

At the time it had the tailgate on it and i was just installing a door on it too. Flaming thing decided to collaspe, just missing my head but did drop the door and the tailgate on the floor! Luckily I seem to have gotten away with just marking some of the paint on the tailgate!  O_o

Painted tailgate

Door painted

Just got to chuck some paint about, sand everything back, clear coat, sand and polish!

Oh joy!  :lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
All doors, bonnet and tailgate successfully painted

Final door shut prepped and primed  :thumbs:

Just the bottom of the front valance to prep up, then on with the final bits of Raptor, then paint the door shuts and the inside bits! Yay  :lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Soon be top coat time!! :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
It will indeed me old mucker!

Et Voila!!

Inside, door shuts, boot shut, inside drip rails, scuttle, heater area and engine bay all done.

Yippeeeeeeeeee!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Nice one!!  :thumbs:  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
keep up the good work and great posts too! ive been at the stage of needing to find somewhere i can get the car inside and weld it myself so this is helping with the motivation to pull my finger out!!

Back to the top
Good work, but you either need to turn the welder power up , or the wire speed down for a better penetrating/wetted out weld.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice one!!  :thumbs:  :cool:

Ta

SamGti said

keep up the good work and great posts too! ive been at the stage of needing to find somewhere i can get the car inside and weld it myself so this is helping with the motivation to pull my finger out!!
SamGti
Wow I don't think I've ever motivated anyone before! Crack on then, get that finger out and get her done!!!  :thumbs:

Keith Usher said

Good work, but you either need to turn the welder power up , or the wire speed down for a better penetrating/wetted out weld.
Keith Usher
Cheers for the tip mate. I think I had the wire speed up a bit high, if I turn it up anymore it's tends to blow through all the time. The wire feed is a little temperamental, there's a modification I needed to do it to make it better, never quite got around to it though  :lol:  

Thanks for the replies chaps, I was begining to think I was talking to myself, which admittidly, isn't that unusual. Luckily most of the voices in my head have been quiet recently.  :lol:

Anyway, in other news:

Prep for the paint to the outside is nearly complete!

Piccies coming soon  :o

;)

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
if you find you are blowing thorough try to learn a pulse welding method, you weld a zap then off then zap then off, this allows the weld to cool and solidify between pulses and not burn through, have a go on some scrap metal.

If your wire feed is jerky you are screwed from the start.

Back to the top

Keith Usher said

if you find you are blowing thorough try to learn a pulse welding method, you weld a zap then off then zap then off, this allows the weld to cool and solidify between pulses and not burn through, have a go on some scrap metal.

If your wire feed is jerky you are screwed from the start.

That explains it then. It turns out I'm not useless after all! Yay  :thumbs:

So todays works have seen the body mostly ready for paint.

Paint should be going on next weekend with any luck!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
are you sealing that primer, if not i would be worried as its porous  taking in moisture as its sitting there, you can then get micro blistering under your paint in a few years.

Back to the top

Mynx the black golf 1400 16v afh bike carb'd restomod (name change!)

borednow said

So then another 9 days have gone rapidly by.

Managed to get a bit more done.

Finally got the fuel lines to the pump sorted, installed the fuel pump in it's final resting place and sorted out the length pf the cabling for it.

Removed the rear screen after srapping on the big boys panties and going for it with the patented 'Brother in law in the car and pushing with his feet whilst I catch' system (a bit nerve racking to say the least!)

Finally I managed to get the back end on the ground, after finally finishing everything at that end (hopefully!)

So took out the engine again, jacked up the front, axle stands installed, steering rack out and all suspension etc off! Yay

The rack needs two new ends so just got to decide the best way to go about it. New rack and two new ends or just the two ends. One of them is the fixed, non adjustable end so that may cause some issues!
suggestions welcomed!  :thumbs:

Found out the leading edge pf the drivers side wing will need a bit of work. and there was I thinking the welding was done  :'(

Also done a bit more tidying to the bay and managed to get it all into Etch primer, so at least that's moving along a bit now

So that's about it really. Many days of hand sanding an engine bay will tend to east your time away!

Just got to come up with some clever way of fixing that wing now!

Later

Ian
Hello mate, I've just ordered track rod and end from eBay , here's the number to search 190518605313 they fit both sides and will give you adjustment where before there was none and as for the wing can't you buy repair arches and nick a bit out of one of those would probably be the easiest way.either that or cut out the section you need replacing send it to me with a stamped addressed envelope and I'll make it for you at work simples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top
jamie8v  - thnaks for the offer mate. I had  wing in the garden (as you do!) that had rotted out along the A-panel end. Luckily the bit of arch I needed was good so I nicked it out of that one and chucked it in.

Missed a bit of a trick there, I could have had a good bit of fabrication on the car!

Thanks for the offer though!  :thumbs:

Last edit: by borednow

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well another week done. I must admit to being sick of breathing in metal dust, filler dust and paint dust. Plus I might go out and commit a crime as I have no fingerprints left from which to identify me!

Luck was with me (kinda) for the week and Sunday saw the paint go on.

Yup, it's staying bare metal. It's been cleared with the best 2k clear coat I could find. 5 coats in all, with 6 on the front panel and leading edge of the bonnet.

Yes I know it'll get chips, yes I know it'll probably rust from the inside out as there's no sealant layer, yes I know it'll probably peel in places as it wears.
But although this is my 'daily' I have a works truck and this will be garaged (when it's built later this year) and will 'only' be used for the 3k miles I do outside of work. Plus keeping it well waxed and keeping on top of any areas that need attention will keep me busy and stop me buying another one! Well except I've still got to do Ujum yet  O_o

My biggest concern is the glare and reflections from it in the sun.

Hopefully now some of the weird stuff I've been doing, lead loading, painting the inside etc might make a bit more sense!

We shall see, if I have to paint it, I have to paint it. At least all the hard prep works been done  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
That looks awesome.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Wehey ! That is brilliant! Where do you keep the flux  capacitor? Dude you are more than welcome for the wing thing but I think you did the right thing,you can't beat a bit of original panel, even if you did find it growing in the garden lol, do you think if I planted some wheels and picked them early they'd come out the right size ;-)
+ did you check the track rod number  I sent you for eBay, I can imagine you've been quite busy I'll let you know how I go with fitting mine when it arrives

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top

mike.d1979 said

That looks awesome.  :thumbs:

thanks mate.  :lol:

jamie8v said

Wehey ! That is brilliant! Where do you keep the flux  capacitor? Dude you are more than welcome for the wing thing but I think you did the right thing,you can't beat a bit of original panel, even if you did find it growing in the garden lol, do you think if I planted some wheels and picked them early they'd come out the right size ;-)
+ did you check the track rod number  I sent you for eBay, I can imagine you've been quite busy I'll let you know how I go with fitting mine when it arrives

Flux Capacitor? Under the dash with the time circuits of course!  :lol:

If you planted wheels in my garden, you'd have a crop of whatever you planted plus, BBS RA's, OZ Volcanos, OZ tourismo, 14 inch steels, 3 sets of 13 inch steels, a couple of toyota wheels, a bonnet, a door, 2 clipper kits and god knows what else! Could be an interesting variety of wheel!  :P

I did check it out, ta for the link. I've already ordered some Meyle ones. After a few years of messing about with Golfs I've discovered that sometimes some manufacturers a a little better than others. I currently trusting Meyle. But we shall see!
For Gods sake avoid JP group parts! They fal apart by the time you've fitted them!

By the way if you have the original boots on your golf look after them! I've had to replace them every year on Clive as they always break. I'll have to do them again this year. Luckily Minx's were all good and a little cleaning has seen them looking brand new  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Awesome way to go!!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
cleared bare metal,absolutely brilliant.cant wait to see it finished.great job :thumbs:

lemon yellow 83 mk1
e39 bmw 520i msport
missus' peugeot 308

have had everything from AE86's to E30's to vtec hondas….this is my first VW.
i'll definitely need help:lol:

Back to the top
Thanks chaps.

Just got to put it all back together again ;-)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.