Skip navigation

Mynx the Tintop 1400 16v afh bike carb'd restomod

Back to the top

Back up and running and for sale!

pazwaa said

You have been thinking  :lol:  always best to have a plan   :thumbs:

I do try! Occasionally it even pays off, admittedly not too often, but just occasionally.  O_o

So in this weeks installment of 'Will Ian ever get there so this thread stops being updated and I can go on with my life'

So battery issues sorted, popped into Cornish Batteries and apparently they sell batteries!! Imagine my shock!  :lol:

Told them what I was doing and; apart from the usual strange look that I'm beginning to recognize when I explain my thought processes; they were then extremely helpful. So I ended up with an 80ah 210 size battery with a gel core that doesn't mind being flattened (ideal for the stereo system that'll be going in :) ) for a bargain price as they'd had to order loads for the local Jag dealer  :thumbs:

I was also talking about the battery tray and he said 'I have just what you need!'

Yup it's a length of angle iron!! Seems I may have found someone with a similarly warped sense of humour to me!!  :P

So after a bit of head scratching, marking, cutting, welding, throwing that away, more measuring with the correct bit of the tape measure, cutting, wleding, linishing, grinding, thinking, welding, later………voila!!

Followed by a bit of paint and some foaminess (so the batteries comfy!)

Then it was just a case of mount in the spare wheel well, mark out the holes, drill them out, weld some nuts to some plate, weld them in situ and I have a lovely home made, bespoke battery tray. Only about 10 hours work, I probably should have just bought one  :lol:  :P  O_o

Finally finished all the little bits of stuff underneath and inside so at last, I managed to get the Raptor chucked on, especially as the weather picked up and the temp is now better for it!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbs:

Thats all for this week folks!! Strange how an entire weeks work can be boiled down to a few lines and pictures innnit?

Anyway tune in next week when Ian finally realises all the things he forgot and has to to ruin his lovely black interior paint  ;)

Thanks for looking and any comments always appreciated  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Love the battery tray, can't beat home made stuff  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Cheers Matt,

It may be a bit over the top but I tried to think about how much a 15kg battery would weigh when suddenly stopped at 70 mph! I'd hate to be beheaded by my own battery  :P

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Been away all week so nothing got done  :'(

But I did sneak out yesterday and mount up the battery!

Fits nicely (phew!!!) straps work well and seems very secure, well I hope so as the car nearly came off the axle stands during my checks  O_o

De-masked the seat runners and the other bits i didn't want the thick Raptor on and painted them up with tough black too.

Boring pics of black stuff, Yay!  :thumbs:

In other news……..the powdercoaters finally phoned and my initial batch of stuff is done  :lol:

Watch this space!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Lots of interesting working going on here! What size cable do you plan on running for the positive off the battery to starter/alt?

:thumbs:

Back to the top

Mk1_Golf_Chriz said

Lots of interesting working going on here! What size cable do you plan on running for the positive off the battery to starter/alt?

:thumbs:

Cheers mucker

I'm using one from a BWM. A mate had one out of scrap yard but he then decided to retain the battery in the engine bay so he kindly donated it to my cause.

I'll be installing a big fuse right next to the battery in case of any direct earthing issues, after all, safety first! I'd hate it all to burn down due to an electrical fire or something stupid due to an abrasion in the cable. I'm also going for a cut off switch near the peddles while I'm at it. Probably………  :P

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Just read through this, you don't muck about do you!?

Good progress, the welding's coming on nice and fair play for giving the lead a try, looks like a good job.

Interesting to see how you get on with the 1400 conversion.

Oh and love the driveway full of mk1's :)

Back to the top

borednow said

Cheers mucker

I'm using one from a BWM. A mate had one out of scrap yard but he then decided to retain the battery in the engine bay so he kindly donated it to my cause.

I'll be installing a big fuse right next to the battery in case of any direct earthing issues, after all, safety first! I'd hate it all to burn down due to an electrical fire or something stupid due to an abrasion in the cable. I'm also going for a cut off switch near the peddles while I'm at it. Probably………  :P

Ian

Ahh yeah, I've heard about people doing this conversion.  Do you know what size fuse you'll end up using? Just very interested in doing this on my own build, and have wiring fresh on the brain at the moment! ha…. Was planning on running some 2 gauge wire to the front, with a fuse inline like yourself, and a kill switch on the negative attached to the body in the boot… hoping thats safe! ha

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Just read through this, you don't muck about do you!?

Good progress, the welding's coming on nice and fair play for giving the lead a try, looks like a good job.

Interesting to see how you get on with the 1400 conversion.

Oh and love the driveway full of mk1's :)
redpetemk1

Cheers mate. The plan is to do the best I can and not cut any corners. It's nice to have a blank canvas and the only design brief being 'do what I like as long as I can use it for everything except work'. Opens up a whole world of possibilities.  :thumbs:Whereas with the wifes Cabbie I had to do what she wanted and make it a bit erm 'simpler' for her to drive (no choke, no twin carbs or anything too low or heavy etc) and the Derby is too original to mess about with too much.

Mk1_Golf_Chriz said

Ahh yeah, I've heard about people doing this conversion.  Do you know what size fuse you'll end up using? Just very interested in doing this on my own build, and have wiring fresh on the brain at the moment! ha…. Was planning on running some 2 gauge wire to the front, with a fuse inline like yourself, and a kill switch on the negative attached to the body in the boot… hoping thats safe! ha
Mk1_Golf_Chriz

Sounds about right to me. I'm going with the kill switch up front as I'm probably shaving the boot lid lock as it's broke and I ain't got a key that works it :P and if the batteries in the boot I won't be able to get at the kill switch to to turn the battery back on  O_oI'm going to use a 'mega fuse' holder and a 100 amp fuse. Reason being the the kill switch is also rated at 100amps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGA-FUSE-HOLDER-HEAVY-DUTY-100-500AMP-INCLUDING-A-FUSE-OF-YOUR-CHOICE-/122096792700?hash=item1c6d89347c:g:INsAAOxyFrNRya3z

I do have a spare holder if you decide to go with one.  :thumbs:Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So here we are then! 3 weeks later, how y'all doin then? Been busy? I have!

Bought some wheels

OZ Volcano in 15" by 7" flavour with a tasty offset of 30. Should be ok  :thumbs:

Apart from that, hmmmm, lets see, what else did I actually manage to complete?

Well finally finished welding up the lips on the rear arches. Cheated in the end. Cut out all the rust, cut of the lips bit by bit and seam welded them inside the arch  :P  Sod it, who needs lips anyway? Only get in the way of the tyres  :lol:  Might have flared the arches a touch too in the process, but shhhhh! don't tell anyone  ;)

Oh yeah also finished applying Raptor to both rear arches too! Only 3 coats  :banghead:

Also managed to do the cills and the bottom section of the rear panel. It was fun trying to get a line that would work on the panel and then appear to run into the cills as well. Many hours with lining tape and swearing  :thumbs:

Lets see, erm, what else?

Oh yeah fuel filler neck fitted. Again , what is it with bits that don't fit? After about 8 hrs finally got it so the cap fits about right

Also got the fuel tank installed, then remebered the anti vibration bits that go on the back, so took it off, installed them, then remembered the brake lines, took the tank back off, made up and installed the brake lines, put the tank back on, forgot to intsall the sender in the top of the tanl with the feed and return lines so took the tank off, installed the sender and lines, put the tank back in. What fun!

Got the exhaust manifold to stay on,

Fitted the exhaust, found I'd forgotten about a link pipe between the exhaust and manifold, Spoke to a few people, got blank looks, wandered around the local exhaust suppliers warehouse trying to find something that would work, gave up, got a stainless link pipe made up  :ninja:   Bit of a cheat but hey ho!

Refitted the manifold and exhaust

Tips a bit close but I'm not a big fan of it anyway so some chopping may occur  :o

Misses the tank but was catching the handbrake pipe, swapped a couple of rubbers around and gave a mount a strategic whack with a hammer and everything clears!

As that lot was on seemed only right to crack on and fit the rear beam. Misses the exhaust! Which if you've ever fitted an exhaust to a golf, you will know it normally hits either the tank or beam. Or , of course, in my case usually both!

So with the rear beam fitted and everything clearing everything else, I finally remembered that I needed to drill two holes in it for the mounting of the solid to flexi lines flange, for the rear discs. So off came the beam again, (dropping it on my face in the process  :dry:  ) measure up for brackets, drill said holes and reinstall.

So i think that's about it, all caught up and back up to date! Of course there's been loads of little bits and bobs too, moved the interior light to above the rear view mirror (another left hand drive hangover that just annoys me!), undid a bit more loom, did a bit of wiring and brake line making, mocked up the rear disc set up, painted up the refurbed calipers etc etc etc. Just seems to be loads of little bits that take ages but just get you prepped for bigger stuff!

Thanks for reading! I'll try to be better with updates from  know on. Hopefully be back on it's rear wheels by the end of the week!

Cheers Ian.

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Great progress, getting there now  :thumbs:

I feel for you taking the rear beam on and off, I've done it once, it's a heavy lump to man-handle. Especially if you drop it on your face  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top
Good work Ian.

Remind us never to hold a 'how quick can you remove and refit a MK1 fuel tank' competition at the AGM - you'd win it hands down!  :lol:

I hope your face is ok!  :o

I've not heard of Raptor before, who make it? Is it an epoxy coating?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Great progress, getting there now  :thumbs:I feel for you taking the rear beam on and off, I've done it once, it's a heavy lump to man-handle. Especially if you drop it on your face  :lol:Matt
pazwaa  Thanks Matt,

Finally begining to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Might just be a train coming the other way though  :lol:Yup ,that beam is heavy old sucker. Still I think contusions just add to my overall 'broken hill man ' look  :thumbs:

Hairyarse said

Good work Ian.

Remind us never to hold a 'how quick can you remove and refit a MK1 fuel tank' competition at the AGM - you'd win it hands down!  :lol:I hope your face is ok!  :oI've not heard of Raptor before, who make it? Is it an epoxy coating?

Hairyarse  I think I'd definitely have it in the bag Andy.

Nope my face isn't ok, it's a face only a mother (and for some strange reason my wife) could love, but nothing got broke  :PRaptor is made by UPOL. It's designed as a coating for pick up truck beds. It's been stolen by the classic car people as an undercoating cos it's waterproof, doesn't crack and is very hardwearing.

https://youtu.be/5PyAokmjsaY

Allegedly.

We'll see in a couple of years when I have holes everywhere  :lol:

Last edit: by borednow

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
 :lol:

Thanks for the info Ian. Now you mention pickup beds I do know the product. I can see why it's moved over to the classic scene.

It will be interesting to see how it goes long term ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hairyarse  Hmmm, I have found that it doesn't like sticking though. In around the area of the tank I've found a few areas with cracks in. The vids on how to apply do suggest that it needs to be clean as a very clean thing and they even suggest the use of an 'adhesion promoter' , which I assumed was upol just trying to sell more stuff. Unfortunately the underside wasn't stripped back totally, nor was it sanded to within an inch of it's life, so it's probably my fault for thinking of it as an underseal.   

Still I've been cracking on today.

Got a flexi installed

Managed to get the feed line for the fuel routed, filter installed and I now know where the pump is going to sit

Got some wiring run for the pump too, managed to find a gap through the grommet for the tank level sensor and feed the wiring across the the top of the tank  :thumbs:

Oh, yeah, also got the rear shocks on, stub axles, discs & bearings and installed the calipers.

And I didn't have to remove the rear beam again! Yay for me    :P  O_o  :lol:

Just the plumbing for the brakes to do, a couple of brackets to make between the flexis out of the calipers and the hard lines on the beam and the rear end is pretty much there!  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Finished tidying up a few bits last night.

Got the calipers re-wound (what a pain in the neck that was!) fitted the pads, torqued everything up proper, fitted the bearing lock nuts and fitted the caps.

Also painted up the brackets I made and fitted a couple more flexi's

Whislt it was this close I thought it'd be rude not to try a wheel too………

I think the green of the calipers works ok too

Soon be down on some wheels at the back!  :o

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Looking good with the wheel on. Like the green calipers too  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
pazwaa

Wasn't sure if the green would work tbh, but I reckon with the wheels re-furbed in a dark colour, probably similar to what they are now, and with the black behind and with them being a matt finish I can get away with them. We shall see!  :P

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So then another 9 days have gone rapidly by.

Managed to get a bit more done.

Finally got the fuel lines to the pump sorted, installed the fuel pump in it's final resting place and sorted out the length pf the cabling for it.

Removed the rear screen after srapping on the big boys panties and going for it with the patented 'Brother in law in the car and pushing with his feet whilst I catch' system (a bit nerve racking to say the least!)

Finally I managed to get the back end on the ground, after finally finishing everything at that end (hopefully!)

So took out the engine again, jacked up the front, axle stands installed, steering rack out and all suspension etc off! Yay

The rack needs two new ends so just got to decide the best way to go about it. New rack and two new ends or just the two ends. One of them is the fixed, non adjustable end so that may cause some issues!
suggestions welcomed!  :thumbs:

Found out the leading edge pf the drivers side wing will need a bit of work. and there was I thinking the welding was done  :'(

Also done a bit more tidying to the bay and managed to get it all into Etch primer, so at least that's moving along a bit now

So that's about it really. Many days of hand sanding an engine bay will tend to east your time away!

Just got to come up with some clever way of fixing that wing now!

Later

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So the last few days have sen the doors finally off and stripped down, sanded and primed, the tailgate off, stripped down and primed and the bits around the tailgate and passenger door, stripped, taped and primed.

Piccies to follow  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.