Skip navigation

Golf mk1 1.1 '80 full restoration project (Loads of pictures!)

Back to the top
Small-ish update on the Golf mk1.
My brother took it out after the winter, it started up just fine after building up some oil pressure first with out the coil connected.

After coming back home from a rather short trip, it turns out the Golf is overheating, the small red cooalnt temp light it flashing.

Later that week we decided to look further into it, we decided to replace the coolant, thermostat and radiator fan switch because it did not turn on when it was idling on our driveway.

This weekend I took the Golf out for a drive together with my uncle and his mk1 GTI but after a while, the coolant temp light began to flash yet again… Fan did not switch on at that time. We decided to let the car sit for a while on a parking and drove further with his GTI.

After going back home and getting the car back to the workshop, everything was fine, also the fan was turning on when I was parking the Golf in out workshop.

I'm now thinking that it might be the temperature sensor that's faulty, giving a false reading (Anyone that know how much resistance it should have when cold?).
Luckily I found a NOS one as it seems there is no aftermarket sensor for it. After some quick googling it might be the radiator fill cap that is also faulty..?

Hopefully that will solve our problem, if not we still have some time to figure it out until the AGM.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Last weekend we went from Belgium all the way to Stratford-upon-Avon in the UK to attend the yearly AGM. My uncles went with his 1.6 GTI and my brother and I with our 1.1
Even with more than twice the power of our 1.1, my uncle had some times trouble keeping up with us on the windy B-roads. He said he might have more power but I have more guts. lol

Again, thanks to the organisation for putting up such an amazing event. Although this year we had some heavy wind and rain it was still awesome!
It was great to catch up with the Scottish guys again and other members of the club.

When we were headed home I took a couple of rolling shots out of the windows  of both Golfs.

(And a group picture, although not complete because our friend that went with his motor bike was able to take an earlier train at the Eurotunnel)
There are too many online users to list.