Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Thanks for the comments. It's certainly rewarding to get some great feedback.

Unfortunately, although I have got the anti roll bars handy for a refurb, I will probably won't be able to get much done for the next fortnight as I have got familly visiting for a week.

Looking forward to the Bank holidays though!

Back to the top
Awsome man.... Lot of hard work gone in there

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
It has been a few weeks since my last post. Family commitments has prevented me working on the car until this weekend.

I decided to refurb the anti-roll bars I had aquired previously and retrofit them to my non GTI golf.

I also had new ARB standard bushes for the front and some blue Bonrath bushes for the rear. Notice the new saddle clamps purchased from CQs,more about them later.

The items required.

gary760.jpg

gary761.jpg

Bushes fitted.

gary762.jpg

Front ARB fitted.

gary764.jpg

gary765.jpg

The Rear ARB has caused problems with the saddle clamps. I cannot fit and lock them. Even with a Jubilee clip, I cannot get the two sides to come together. Any pointers would be apprecaited.

gary779.jpg

gary766.jpg

gary769.jpg

gary770.jpg

gary775.jpg

gary777.jpg

They do not fit even with the old bushes.

gary778.jpg

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
Finally fitted with advice from the membership.

I found the best way for me for fitting was using two pairs of mole grips, tighten one, then tighen the other a little more and so on until the lock plate fits by tapping it on with a hammer and then bending the tab.

gary780.jpg

gary781.jpg

gary782.jpg

Back to the top
Very little done this weekend apart from removing the exhaust, yes removing, as it now touches the retro fitted front ARB.

gary783.jpg

gary785.jpg

And discovering why my 5 speed linkage fouls the bottom gearbox mount

gary786.jpg

This item needs to be longer for the 5 speed.

gary369-1.jpg

Back to the top
A little time since my last post, I have been trying to resolve the 5 speed gear linkage, exhaust and anti roll bar issues.

I am glad to say I have made some progress in addressing them all.

I had not obtained the correct size lever for the change from 4 speed to 5 speed gear linkage. 4spd on left, 5 spd on right. Sorry for the quality of the pic

gary787.jpg

Fitted, note the clearance between the operating rod and the rear gearbox mounting:

gary796.jpg

New Anti roll bar fouling existing exhaust:

gary783.jpg

GTI downpipe. bought off ebay for £11.01 delivered. Compared against the 1.5 down pipe.

gary790.jpg

Fitted:

gary803.jpg

Note the heat sheet to protect the CV boot., my original down pipe did not have one.

gary792.jpg

Might need a heat sheet to protect the gear lever boot.

gary797.jpg

gary799.jpg

Back to the top
lookin good sir where did you get the heat shield , did it come with the down  pipe?

Back to the top

Back to the top
awesome project still going on. Top work Sir...

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
Thanks for the comment.

I keep nibbling at the mountain, hoping it will dissappear. yesterday another hurdle, I found that my new radiator that I bought ages ago has been mispackaged and is for another model of engine, a 1.1/1.3 instead of a 1.5.

Onwards and upwards!

Back to the top
OK, only a little done this weekend with little opportunity to do anymore.

Focused on the radiator today. After the dissapointment that my new top fill radiator was for a small block engine, I decided to clean up my existing radiator for my 1.5.

It had already been flushed through many times before, I decided to blast the fins of external dirt.

Don't be too agrressive with a Karcher, you might do more damage than good.

There were a few areas of damage/impact on the front side only which I straightened out as best as I could.

A few picks of the assembly and installation:

gary807.jpg

gary808.jpg

gary810.jpg

gary817.jpg

gary818.jpg

gary820.jpg

Back to the top
this is insane i really have to up my game

Back to the top
Finally managed to finish the exhaust today.

I had to connect a GTI downpipe to a standard 1.5 middle and back box. I have cut a about a foot from the middle box.

I acquired this connector from ebay to connect the pipes together.

gary821.jpg

gary822.jpg

I also aquired this NOS heatshield, it was clear mine was not complete.

gary825.jpg

gary830.jpg

I used the old heatshield and modified it to protect the gear linkage rubber boot.

gary823.jpg

gary824.jpg

The finished run

gary829.jpg

Lovely clearance over the anti-roll bar

gary827.jpg

Back to the top
Another interesting installment :clap:  Soon be firing Gary up now then ?  keep then updates coming.

Back to the top
First weekend for a while, despite doing about 6 hours on Saturday working on the engine connecting pipes and wiring, not a lot can be seen.

So see if you can spot the difference between the first two photos:

Before:

gary831.jpg

After:

gary832.jpg

gary833.jpg

I was hoping to fit the carburettor, but I could not find it!.

Anyway found it on Sunday in the shed and gave it a clean:

gary835.jpg

gary837.jpg

Back to the top
It has been sometime again since my last post.

The Weather, computer and time have been a factor.

Never the less some time was spent on the car today, plus a little in previous weeks.

I am nearly there in getting the car in a condition to start the engine.

I stripped the carb down after cleaning the outside.

gary835.jpg

gary836.jpg

You can see the £64K of contaimination within the carb.

I was fortunate enough to bag a sevice kit some time ago, including a new fuel cut of valve.

You can see the engine coming together. All the vacuum pipes have been replaced with new.

I have recently been getting the engine electrics installed and today I spun the engine over to get some oil flowing around the engine.

I also filled the cooling system up with water, one one leak around the thermostat. It seems that 2 rubber seals, one bigger than the other is the solution.

093.jpg

097.jpg

094.jpg

099.jpg

101.jpg

104-1.jpg

105.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

Back to the top
Looks great Malcolm!

still haven't found a gasket for mine :(

Could you tell me where you got your vacuum lines from please, I need to do mine

Back to the top
The only vacuum lines I have fully replaced are the ones from the carb to the distributor and to the air filter.

The remainder, I have use existing pipes and only replaced the connections, these can be made up from a length of vacuum rubber tubing and purchased from ebay, halfords, GSF and Europarts, etc

Back to the top
Over the last few weeks I have started the engine.

A few problems with the 1B3 carb, It would not idle, but would run by dabbing the accelerator.

Put a 36TLP Weber on it would idle but not accelerate!.

Spent a Sunday stripped the 1B3 carb down again and found a mucky jet and the emulsion tube was blocked. Cleaned thenm both up and reassembled.

Hey presto! Carb running OK, dynamically timed using a strobe and set the mixture using a Gunsons Gas Analyser.

Flushed the cooling system today including the heater matrix and filled up with 50% Blue antifreeze mix.

Checked some electrics out, everything engine wise seems to be working except the oil pressure light. Checked the pressure with an old direct oil pressure gauge. Oil pressure electrical circuit and switch fine. Seems the bulb on the dash has gone.

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.