Skip navigation

2litre Orange mk1, The 7 year saga continues, wiring help needed!

Back to the top

Orange mk1, update 5/4 quarry pics

ok so, about to come back for easter, been chatting to Timski, should be in for welding and paint soon hopefully, if its not being blocked by lots of minis lol

rly rly excited about coming back and getting stuck into it as usual

want to get the engine dropped in asap because i dnt really want to be doing it over fresh wings dents, scrapes etc, i have a mk2 engine, so need all 4 metal 'arms' off the engine, as a mk2 ran a subframe and mounted differently

it was running well before, did have an overheating problem, but as i know it works i think im going to stick with the 1.6/possible 1.8? driver engine, clean it up, new cam and alternator belt, clutch, oil and filters. is this the best option, i've been told to add a GTI cam but im not massively fussed on speed…just wna pull away on roundabouts quickly and be able to sit at 70mph comfortably

also theres a few other bits im after for the project, and wondered if anyone here can help

-cabby driveshafts as its running a mk2 box, or mk1 driveshafts and mk1 g/box flanges to suit (got to have good cv's)
-front single headlamp grill (fire brigade smashed is up, which was burnt anyway)
-large 9 inch servo i.e. from a passat, with master cylinder and reservoir?

im really desperate to get hold of these engine mounts so i can get it dropped in this easter, would be great if someone already has any for a decent price( please remember i am a student with a burnt out car hehe)

all help appreciated
thanks
JJ

Back to the top
oh, and here's ANOTHER quick mock-up of that black/grey tartan, i think it looks really subtle, i really like it, hopefully go to a trimmers on saturday and see what i can find

JJ

Back to the top
Just a quick pic of Josh`s  car as we started getting it ready for paint today so she can be rebuilt asap for the summer!

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
mmmm orangey goodness, looking sweet Tim, i managed to finally get all of the trim lines and arches etc all sanded down on that side! getting there.

Back to the top
Good luck with moo, project golf.  Your dedication is outstanding and i can't wait till you get your car rebuilt again to your satisfaction.  This thread is an awesome, but tragic read.

All the best

:wink:

Back to the top

Gillie said

Good luck with moo, project golf.  Your dedication is outstanding and i can't wait till you get your car rebuilt again to your satisfaction.  This thread is an awesome, but tragic read.

All the best

:wink:

:clap:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Thanks very much for all your comments, it really does help like you wouldn't believe, because most comments i get are along the lines of 'why don't you just buy another one', 'why spend that much money on an old car' or 'get that piece of crap off my driveway' haha

off most other forums any time they see pics i get nothing but….yeh lower it over a set of rahrahrah zzzzzz….. not really what this car is about, i want it to handle a bit better, dont wna be -100mm on some overdone rims…. or bbs 100pound rims on a rusty shed, i want a mint car thats useable and colourful (btw ive sourced, cut, hacked, stiched, cut, clipped and screwed togehter a new interior, out of an old polo gt coupe. its a rainbowy tartan interior…its suits the car so well..i think so anyway!)

got some cool wheel ideas in the pipeline….they are steelies but ive never seen them done how i want them, they will be 6 inch wide, with some chrome….i know to most this car probably annoys alot, not because of the colour but because of its sheer unoriginality, nothing is as its meant to be, but in my eyes its still classicly and tastefully styled to how i want so thats all that counts

trying to think of other updates….rear beam and tank is off, all rear end and components cleaned up with wire wheel, all POR15d up, nice and clean…mmm no more dam waxoyl there, polybushes throughout, all running gear refurbed, lots of parts ordered up, took me AAAAGES to modify my interior, now that completed too, most parts are sourced, but after paint when it starts being properly assembled, ill put up on here what im after, mainly standard nothing special kinda parts but all help to quick links of parts is appreciated
thanks
JJ

Back to the top
Just read the entire thread. only took me two hours  :lol:

You keep calling Tim a Legend, but I wouldn't be lying if I said you my friend, are the legend.

Was gutted when I read about the fire and saw the pics!
You've shown incredible resiliance, determination, and i suppose passion in getting straight back down to work, on the wee satsuma!

Keep it up, what's the crack wi it now like?

:)

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
Tim is a legend, it wouldnt have been and wont be how/what it is without his hard efforts

thanks for the compliments all the same though mate, it really does help because some days ie when its raining and nothing is going right, im skint as hell and cant bear to think how much money and time ive already spent on it, some nice comments do stop me calling the scrap man

Like you say though, it is determination, i do like to think i have a bit of tenacity, if i start something i WILL finish it to my upmost ability, this is no exception, as hard as it is as much as i want to bodge and get it done, it all takes alot of time and money…i wont let myself bodge a thing. final dealines get pushed further and further, i just want to get some summer driving in, few roadtrips, and let Tim have a drive in it before he moves away

As soon as its all painted when im back frm uni (under a months time) im sure ill be calling on u guys like mad to buy parts off you and basically get any help i can because im so desperate, i know some of you on here have already offered me various help and parts and discounts which is amazing and i cant thank you enough, not so much from a monetary view(well almost) but also the gesture, its nice to see some people care after it was such a crap waste of hard effort, i know the insurance company dont.

As for progress to the car, not got many pics because i haven't been home, or when i have been working on it, too busy working away for pics but i have:
-just waiting on polybushes for rear beam and i can refit it all up so its rolling again
-accquired 2 engine mounts, jst need other two.
- lots of service/engine/various other parts bought up, sitting in my room
-sourced new rims from Tim (mk3 estate steelies, gna possibly chrome centrecaps to echo the old mk1 original steelies, i love that look, but the originals are too skinny, these are 6j)
-sanded nearly every last bit ready to get paint.
-accquired GTI chassis leg mount to get welded on.
-probably lots of other stuff i cant remember

Most second hand stuff has already been bought, its all brake/fuel lines and other new bits like clutch etc that need to be bought, but second hand wise, im still after:

-Rear GTI engine mount(gearbox) and drivers side mount (engine to chassis leg) for both, i mean the entire metal arms not simply just the bush.
- a gti full exhaust, preferrably standard or one that looks standard, because of how much it will cost and also dnt like rudeboy exhausts. im assuming 1.6/1.8 either would be fine.

I have a few parts to swap/sale if anyone is interested for the above/cash either way, because it wont pay for itself!

-upper drivers side of mars red gti drivers seat, no holes, slightly worn but still good bolsters, no fag burns rips etc
-series one black steering wolsburg wheel, no horn
-series one underdash carpet/fuse box cover
-mk1 scirrocco grill
-41k series one twin bullet dial dashboard clocks
-passenger side upper cloth for front seat, can be used to repair drivers side, bolster wear etc

Im located in west sussex btw.

heres a sneaky peek of the interior, at first i thought i would never work but ive put it in the car and i think it looks awesome.

yet another essay, god ive got to stop writing so much, no wonder it took 2 hours to read!
thanks again
JJ

Back to the top
ok, need a bit of help/information if poss, ive posted this in running gear but not many people go on that section very often, and i ddnt want to miss out on this ebay item

so ive managed to get hold of two engine mounts to put my mk2 engine into my mk1, i have the passenger side and the front,

i was wondering if a rear diesel mount will fit straight up, i heard they are alot more heavy duty to deal with diesel torque, is this correct? can i bolt this striaght between the mk2 gearbox and the mk1 attachment as usual

ive seen one on the bay, does it look any good to you? will it fit straight up to a mk1
thanks
JJ
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mk1-golf-gti-etc-diesel-rear-engine-mount_W0QQitemZ110251888323QQihZ001QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back to the top
Yes and Yes

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Hi mate

its rov716y  off here

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40958

he may end early if you ask, or may get a bargain anyway

Back to the top
FINNNNNALLY getting somewhere now, went off to an engineers for the welding, now its safely nestled between a monster truck, a pontiac and a 1920 chevvy pickup….so i think its in good hands haha, its off to have the engine mount welded in,
and soonafter its paint time!

also managed to fit passat servo and linkage bar, all rear end has been refurbed and reassembled, and my 80mm springs turned up so it will be nice and low soon…
as it stands

thanks
JJ

Back to the top
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOO!!!!!!!

MK1 is at the bodyshop!!!! couple of small dents to be skimmed off and its rolling in the oven!
really wierd, after almost a whole year since the fire, its actually getting there, never thought id see the day, after staring at the underside of my car for so long, but its finally welded and prepped up, ready to go!

Tim is going to upload photos this evening…this avo…so watch this space!!!!

JJ

Back to the top
just some pics off my phone to show the welding and a bit of engine work, cleaning it up, lick of paint, new fuel lines, clutch, belts and service.

last pic b4 the boot and headlining came off…

Back to the top
I gave her one last nib off and a few skims of stopper in a few area then
in the oven she goes….

Looking sweet after my painter Jason had done the deed  :mrgreen:

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AWESOME!
god ive been waiting for this moment, finally no visible signs of fire, cant wait to get cracking on it again!!!
again, awesome mate…see you monday!
JJ

Back to the top
your getting there big man, stick in  8)

Back to the top
glad to see it all orange again  :D

Back to the top
8)
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.