Skip navigation

2litre Orange mk1, The 7 year saga continues, wiring help needed!

Back to the top

Back to the top
looking forward to seeing this back together  8)

1983 GTi in Black, Completly Standard

Merc ML320 Daily Driver

Back to the top
just read the whole lot tonight!
must have been gutting to see all that hard work go up in flames, but great to see you getting stuck in and not giving up!
wont be long before your driving it again!
nice colour aswell!

Tim.N.

Back to the top
Just read the whole thread mate..
Well done for sticking with it, hows things now??

Back to the top
things are the same as I left it, the car is at home in Sussex and im in Plymouth during term time, so i can only work on the car during holidays, so im back this christmas to dod some work on it, namely:

-take Ermentrude over to Timskis place, get the GTI engine mount welded in

-locate some mk1 GTI bolt on engine mounts (because its a mk2 driver engine) does anyone know if the mk1 1.3 driver ones will fit?

-give the engine a good steamclean, paint it up, just black and silver, nothing fancy cos its GOING to flake off anyway, order new clutch and get it all bolted in, sitting in the engine bay

- Finish baremetalling the inner wings and rear arches, then stonechip, and possibly orange paint, not sure yet if i want painted arches because its my daily, dont want to be too worried abotu stonechips, so probably will be left black tbh,

above all, budget has got to be considered without comprimise to the car, for example i would like a set of recaros for the car, but ive got some redstripe campaign gti seats, which TIMSKI…..you will be proud to hear im going to sell/swap for a set of grey stripe ones.

you get the idea anyway, because the insurance didnt give me a bean, ive already spent thousnads and thousands, and im a student, my budget is limited to say the least but ill be working 5 days a week, as well as having a part time job in plymouth to try and get this thing back on the road

no comprimises will be made, no rust will be patched over or averted, EVERYTHING will be cleaned and painted, removing rust properly

i dont WANT a car with a polished engine bay all smoothed out, with a white leather interior etc, i want a practical daily driver that i can drive, but be super proud and careful of, and is nice and retro, not rudeboy at all

basic plans in the long run include:
respray from Timski (legend)

purchasing of a scrap cabriolet for driveshafts etc, other parts to put it back together

60mm springs and not 40mm, as the rear was always a bit high

font and rear ARB's with polybushes,

getting another passat servo and g60 master cylinder

14 inch bbs style bmw e30 cross spokes alloys with some vw centrecaps

refitting every last nut and bolt on the  bloody thing, except for the underside, which has simply been steamcleaned and waxoyled until i get time/money to strip this down to metal properly.

all comments are appreciated and keeps me going, its truly gutting to work on this thing sometimes, but once its painted again, its what i consider to be the 'start' of the project i.e its all forseeable progress and wont have to keep taking things off/cutting/grinding stuff!

as i havent got much money this xmas im limited to what i can do to it, but come easter and summer, this car wil be getting some serious progress, should be MOTd early summertime.

wish me luck, any addittions/comments/ suggestions would be helpful too
thanks
Josh

Back to the top
Nice one Josh  :y: ,dont worry too much about engine mounts as i have a man that can from a local Retrorace car builders if you get stuck.
You gotta get it done it time for next summer mate as i want to burn you up in mine ha ha :D

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
Keep positive Josh, i bet iyts a struggle..
I'm selling a 1.8 cab, but doubt it will sell, so I've decided if it hasnt gone by jan I'll strip it..

I'll let you know if i do, then your welcome to get some parts that you need.. As long as I dont need them myself I'm sure I'll be able to donate a few to you… (hope that doesnt seem liek charity, I'm truly gutted for ya, had a similar thing a few years back, when i was 19, got proper shafted by my insurance company on mu Scirocco…

looking forward to seeing her back on the road…

Back to the top
yeh, its a weird thing, im a bit of a workaholic in that i work bloody hard for everything i own, and dont get a penny from my parents, so with a retro car and university costs at 19 im always pretty hard up

charity is something im not dependant on, or tend to use, but a few people on here have already offered to help me out, its mainly the spare cabby that's the clincher for how much it will all cost. Tim has been rly good to me throughout the resto because he understands my situation, andi help him out and he knows im not there to take the piss, i just want to drive my little mandarin golf!

some things like steering rack boots, cam belts, top mounts etc u obviously can't use second hand so theres nothing that can be done to help that, but 'charity' or kind donations as it were are always appreciated

it makes sense to buy a whole other donor car for a few hundred because the locating/price of all the little bits certainly adds up, consequently once im done with it, anyone is welcome to whats left before it would get scrapped. i.e. spare engine etc, but thats a long way off yet anyway.

like i say, alot of stuff sadly im going to have to buy new, but anything i think of would be greatly appreciated if its lying around and someone's not using it, cant be arsed to ebay it etc, because this car doesn't deserve to die yet, and letting it sit there wont do it any good.

thanks for all the kind support, it doesn't go unnoticed
Josh

Back to the top
Just read thro you thread mate sum read…………….

Im doing a nut and bilt resto my self at the moment too, ive got some spare bits and bobs lying around which might be of use to you. Ive also got a mate at VW who gets me around 30% discount on average so if your needing any bits give me a shout and i'll see if i can help, ive most prob got the part nos too.

I got a copy of etka, (VW Parts Programe), which is brill for finding where everything goes and if you need to buy somthing the part no's too.

Drop me a Pm if i can help.

Back to the top
thats really generous of you mate,
ill have to collate a list of what vw bits and bobs are needed when it comes to it, and let you know, as money is a major issue,
this page shud be updated very soon as i go home this saturday, and can start work on the golf again!!!
thanks again,
nice to see people rallying round and helping after the fire an insurance company left me for dead i.e. no money at all.
Josh

Back to the top
been able to start work on the golf again, now that im at home,

managed to strip all of the inner wings and door posts, por15 and primer them, then coat the whole wing with black stonechip

also managed to ALMOST get the front antiroll bar on, painted all up with pinky red translucent polybushes (to match my purple steering rack ones, red and yellow wishbone mounts lol)

on the last bolt however, i managed to snap it, but luckily it was the bracket for the wishbone and not the bolt that goes into the body, otherwise that would have been a REAL pain.

i threw a coat of jizer over the engine today to try and read some of the numbers and figure out what the engine actually is, so ill put the pictures up and see if anyone knows, because it didnt seem clear to me…it says 1.8g2 on the rocker cover in a tippex pen, so im thinking the engine has been replaced at some point.

once i know what it is, i can order a clutch for it, and give it a good clean up, im going to steam clean the whole lot, get a new carb gasket, belts, filters, oil, oh and new fuel lines!

then ill just remove and paint a the components one by one, just give the block a light coat of oil because unless i spend alot of money…

its all going to peel off anyway, so i thought id make it look smart, yet practical considering my budget and also bearing in mind that its only an engine and im not really that bothered if its not chromed up to the nines, id just like a nice clean working engine, because im not into car shows, lifting up bonnets all that much, i want a tidy runabout that looks retro, so theres only so far im going to go, however the engine does look really clean (probably becaue of the amount of grease all over it) so should turn out looking good, watch this space…most importantly of all im going to make sure there is no fuel leaks this time, and put two big fire extinguishers in the car!

anyway, pics do the talking…

you can see the brown patch where the fire has penetrated through…

as you can see, quite a bit of pitting/surface rust in the next few photos, im glad i managed to catch in just in time…

started some wiring..

so onto the nicely fresh clean inner wings…thank god thats one less place on the car covered with the dreaded waxoyl.

por 15d

stonechipped (looks weird in the flash light)

now onto pics of the engine numbers….any help figuring out what it is?

like ive said before… mainly the progress is hinging on the fact i dont have the money to buy the parts, so come easter/summer time it should start progressing faster, but hope u enjoy the read all the same

how it stands for now, being guarded by the hilux..

JJ

Back to the top
good to see this is coming along, even if slowly but then again the best resto's are done slowly.

Your doing a great job.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Good to see you back on the case Josh  :y:

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
heyhey! :P where did you get your chrome trime bumpers bits and bobs from dude any web site you could point me to or whatever????cheers :)

Back to the top
good luck is all i can say, it took me 3 months to source all the bits for my chrome bumpers…

chrome bumpers are pretty flimsy and if you want my honest opinion, i would just go on to www.tp-17.de which seems to be the home of all retro parts, and go buy a full set off them…although i have heard mixed things about their service

avoid german ebay cos it gave me a HUGE HUGE headache and ended up having to pay paypal to sort out the dispute, the seller became increasingly ignorant of my package with my increasing lack of german.

i got one bumper from germany, one from austria, rubstrips and a pair of endcaps from portugal, one pair from the uk, and the bumper hangers were from the uk, an ebay seller called the partscorcerer i think…

chrome trim is available off ebay for about 55 quid now i think which isnt too bad considering the black onces cost nearly the same….

by the time id sourced all the parts from abroad and paid postage (which is the absolute killer btw) it ended up being about 500 or so quid!!! that just to make up two bumpers….really silly money

i recently saw two seperate mint full sets of bumpers go on ebayuk for 350 quid…i would play the waiting game if i were u and buy from the uk, they do come up every now and then, either that or go buy from abroad directly i.e. not off ebay.

hope that helps mate, it was nothing short of a huge headache for all that chrome stuff i tell you!

Josh

Back to the top
projectgolf - you didn't happen to use google translator did you?
It's a mistake a lot of people make.  I got a friend to check my messages for me as I was buying stuff from german ebay last year.  He said that google had got the messages completely wrong and i appeared to be really ignorant and nasty in the messages.  German ebay has some great stuff but you need to have 2 things to make it work.  1 is someone with you who is 100% fluent in german and the other is an auction which states it'll ship internationally.  It's the same as if I put an auction on ebay for uk only, I get pretty peeved when someone outside the uk is bidding.
I think everyone who has went to the hassle to save a few quid know's what you're saying, that sometimes it's just not worth it.
Baz

Back to the top
yeh i'd understand if they got annoyed, i did use a translator at first, but knew it wasn't right, studied german for 3 years and my brother is a fluent teacher or the english language to germans so consequently knows what hes on about….so got him to write a few emails for me and chek mine….

said it was at international sale but they just dont seem to like replying to any emails, like bi-weekly, if ur going to sell stuff on ebay u shud check it every day, my two pence anyway

moral of the story, unless ur fluent in the language, its not worth the money you MIGHT save, which i didn't anyway…ended up being more expensive…

hope that all helps, hopefully mailorder would eliminate these problems…
JJ

Back to the top
ok, im back from uni for a week after my exams, as its marking week, and im back to earn some money…thought id do some work on the mk1 as well…

picked up a set of red stripe gti seats like i used to have in it b4, because my friend jake is making his mk1 into a 16v stripped out racer, he kindly donated them to me…they were very wet and mouldy so…

basically i plan on giving the itnerior a retrim as orange is a sod of a colour to match it with, it looks rubbish against grey so that eliminates using mk2 seats or the grey stripe gti ones, ive done some photoshops and didn't really like the look of it…

heres a couple of photos i've found for inspiration of the vwvortex, i think im going to go for tartan as its more fitting with the older series 1 feel im aiming for, and i think it works nicely.

im not sure what type of tartan im going to go for yet, the first picture looks really nice, but a bit pale, would get filthy…so i might go for something more like this…

im going to make my own doorcards front and back out of MDF, and use a fine fabric/felt with a seam/stip of tartan through it, a bit similar to the first photo, but in the middle of the doorcard, not the top.

also there will be two upright strips of tartan on the back seat, to replace where the red stripes once were, and then ill make a parcel shelf up of a decent bit of mdf or ply to replace the flimsy standard shelf, which will follow on from the upright stripes of the rear bench.

all the remaining parts i.e the bolsters etc will be covered in a black material, pretty similar to standard, and im keeping the vinyl that wraps around the back of the driver and passenger seats, and stitching the new fabric onto this…

heres my progress today:

firstly i stripped down all the seats, they are pretty much held together with lengths of wire and little wire clips (the same clips i use at work for wire rabbit netting/fencing. so ill be putting it back together with one of those)

i split the two halves of the seat, cut off all the clips and took the seats back down to the base, then sprayed it all with hammerite as they were really rusty, i also found some money, and a cigarette, with lots of dust and fluff underneath the seats.

i'm probably not making myself very clear, but i thought it needed a nice interior to finish off the rest of the hard work, the clashing red interior was detracting from the hard work. i might try and get hold of some cloth tomorrow as im in Brighton and no doubt i'll be able to find a hippy cloth shop, find somethign nice and tough, its all about 5 pound a metre so its worth buying a sample to see how it looks

might have an update soon…who knows, if anyone knows of any decent tartan/ideas that would work…feel free to post some pics.

thanks for all the comments along the way
JJ

Back to the top
Looking good mate………..you can still get the red/green white/black checked vw material :wink:  a guy in Holland sells it cheaper by the metre than the bloke whos appeared on ebay with it at ?100 8O  look on www.watercooled.nl under the heading marketplaatz,  i know you dont like dealing abroad anymore!!! but at the ? hes charging its gotta be worth it and the red/green tartan would look awsome in that car, its 75 euros a metre and you would need 4 metres to do tne seat centres, so for around ?200 and your labour its all gravy dude 8)

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
thats still a hell of alot of money, other material ive been looking at is SOSOSO much cheaper, i could probably find a tartan thats pretty similar for so much less anyway….its nothing close to an original car so im not fussed tbh

dunno if ill stick to a more standard tartan or if ill go with an orangey one, ill get some samples and see…

thanks very much for the link though mate
JJ
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.