Skip navigation

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project - (02/01/22)

Back to the top

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project

borednow said

Damn!  :oLooks like a brand new car. You must be chuffed this time  :cool:
Yeah hopefully it'll be as good or better than factory, just be too scared to drive it! Trying to get enthusiastic about it again but it's tricky when there's so much to do and so little time lol

chrisL said

Lovely paint finish, makes me want to hurry and get mine into paint.

What sealer did you use between the rear panel and the rear quarter panel please?

Cheers, doesn't look too shabby! Taken long enough to get to this stage so I feel your pain with getting it to paint.. Not 100% sure on the sealant. Last time I did this to a Mk1 I just went to my local Auto Paint shop and picked up some off the shelf panel sealer.

daniboy123 said

Great work Alfie, so much hard work and dedication.  I'm going through a similar process but my car has been with the bodyshop for almost 3 years now!. You don't appreciate how much time/money it takes to do these things properly until you actually go through it. Ill bet you can't wait to start putting everything back together. Are you aiming to be on the road this year?

My car was at the 1st bodyshop for 10 months and sat at Spikes for nearly a year whilst waiting for a slot and to have the roof done, so I understand the frustrations. But three years.. wow.. I hope he's either extreamly good, cheap or both!

This time round (at the new paintshop) a space came up within two weeks, and once dropped off I had the shell back in just over two months so it's all happened fairly quickly to be honest, wasn't really ready for it lol! Everyone keeps saying I bet you;re excited and i'm just sat here like "meh whatev's" but I suppose 5 years on the go takes it's toll and you do lose some enthusiasm..

chrisL said

daniboy123 said

Are you aiming to be on the road this year?
He best get cracking to finish it this year, there's only 3 days left!

daniboy123 said

Haha yes I mean 2017! Would be something to behold to get it on the road this year.

Haha not even looked at the shell since I got it back let alone worked on it :DBut hopefully it'll be on the road for Edition38 at the end of the year.. We shall see though!! Any bets :P

mrpaint said

Looks really nice mate …now the rebuild begins😢👍

Yeah not a small job! 1st step will be getting the rear beam and wishbones powder coated, and built up so I can put it back on it's wheels. Then it'll be tank refurb, steering rack refurb, Mk4 rear brake setup, new fuel lines and brake lines and a full set of zinc coated nuts and bolts! - that's before Any of the wiring, interior, engine, trim parts etc..

Hywel Fanner said

Makes me emotional reading this!

I'm having to give up my Caddy due to money (needs work and I just cant leave it and I can't fund the work it needs), and this is after already scrapping my Cabrio project of 5 years due to rot.

Really nice to see yours come out looking so good after so much hard work. Best of luck with the rebuild!

Hopefully I can get another one someday.

Cheers for the kind words, I almost sold mine so many times, but being such a good base, and having a garage to store it for 6 month at a time when I didn't have the time, money or inclination to work on it I could just leave it and go back when I had more motivation.. which was always in short supply.

If you can mate, I would do whatever I could to keep it. If you sell it you'll pay a fortune next time round!

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Wow, top work Alfie. You gotta be well chuffed with that!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Wow, top work Alfie. You gotta be well chuffed with that!

Cheers mate, still trying to get some of the motivation back, but overall happy to have her back.

Found some time this week to pull the rear beam and front hubs apart in preparation for refurb and powder coating.

Also put together a little facebook page to document the build along side this thread. I know some of my friends and family don't go on here so thought what better way to bore them with all the details! Like and share if you get a spare moment!!

Cheers Guys

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Got my decal set in the post too. Hopefully they will flatten out

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Bit of a update, although I haven’t really worked on the car other than attempting to strip the suspension, since around March this year!

I still need to find some locking rings for my Koni Coilovers before I can get the thing back on four wheels and get it back to the paint shop for the wings, doors, bonnet and tailgate which are still yet to be painted!

Anyway a few of the most recent pictures for your enjoyment :D

I think the poweder coater may have misunderstood the masking point on the spindles!!

Luckily after a few painful hours with a Stanley blade and some very fine emery paper, I think I’ve managed to save them!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Nice work, you've gotta laugh at the power coating on the stub axles..  :lol:  

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hmmmmm powder coated stub axles. Nice work Mr Powdercoater! Almost as good as mine who's left my tank full of grit.

Gonna be ready for Easter then?  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project - BACK TO PAINT AGAIN (21/12/16)

Hi all, been a very long time! I’ve been keeping up to date on Facebook, but neglected to keeping this build thread up to date. It’s unlikely that many people still pass through these parts but for old times sake I wanted to keep it alive!

I’ve added all the missing photos from the last few years, so apologies for the long post!

I’m hoping that now I’ve got the front suspension on, the tank and rear beam can go on and I may get it rolling soon!

MY Build Thread

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.