Skip navigation

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project - (02/01/22)

Back to the top

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project

The colour looks lighter, almost baby powder blue, on the mini. It'd look awesome with some chrome small bumpers, trim and some polished alloys!

Back to the top
It really depends on the lighting and what camera, sometimes the car looks really light and other times a little darker, you can see a lighter version here:

Did a little photoshopping on what I want the car to look like when it's done:

Not really sure about the wheels as they have been done to death but still look good for now

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
hope all goes well at paintshop, be good to see this when all done :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

richyhill said

hope all goes well at paintshop, be good to see this when all done :-)

Cheers mate, I'll be putting up regular updates photos of work being done whilst it's in the paintshop, get a proper build thread going :D

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
What about my 2nd favourite wheel on a mk1, Ronal Turbos?

Back to the top
Funny you should say that, I'm looking for a set of Ronal Turbo's at the moment as a set of interim wheels.

My lists is as follows:

Smoore Roadsters
Oz Turbos
Ronal Turbo's
Steffan RS
BBS RS

Spent such a long time looking at wheels and apart from the OZ's and the Smoore roadsters im on the fence on what wheels to have!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Just had a look at some pics of the wheels you've listed.

Those Smoore Roadsters look the business!

Back to the top
I love them, but I've only seen a few 13" sets for sale (of which one was way too far and the other I missed out on) and never any 15" sets (which is what I'm after)

I got my inspiration from this build:

http://forums.vwvortex…ect-Lot-s-of-pic-s/page16

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
No pics so far as the body shop gave me the only card they had for their camera So I could add images of their coaches to their website!!

Well after telling everyone I know that the golf was going to be painted, the cpversation went like this for every person:

Me: "The car is going to the paintshop today"
Them: "Cool, What colour"
Me: errm, the same colour
Them: WHAT! Really! Why?

lol, so I I took the car down with the intention of asking the painter about possibly changing the colour, and before I could say anything he said.. "So can we change the colour? 'Cos that blue doesn't look right" :D

So the upshot is, I need to figure out what colour to take it..

I don't want it metalic and I dont want any biright colours like Bright Orange, Yelow etc as I may as well keep it like it is.

My initial thought was (after seeing it at E38) Porche Classic Grey but may be a bit dull…

Or go back to the original colour with the original kit on:

So let me know what you think :D

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
White. Original is best.
Or that grey you get on audi tts. Frankie sprayed a fiat 500 in it. That would look good I think.

Back to the top
are you sure you dont want metallic?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Really not a fan of metalic paint on golfs (apart from silver)

Most of the metallic ones look either too modern or a bit chavvy is some cases

I'm a fter a more retro feel to mine.. just not really sure which one lol

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
well you cant go wrong with white, its back in vogue at the moment too ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
i saw a mini club man of all things in like a pastel blue type colour the other day and thought about this thread, and that in general it would look nice on a mk1

ive just had a quick look on BMW mini site and done "design your mini" so i could get to exterior colours and i reckon the colour is saw was one of thier solid colour

"ICE BLUE" might be worth a look

Bit like porche classic grey but not as dull?

http://www.cotswoldgroup.com/approved-used-bmw/1950/mini-one-16

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
That's not a bad colour actually, had quite a few suggestions but haven't had that "yes that's the one" moment….

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
A small update from the paintshop - nothing major yet.

Still need to decide on a colour - please help http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=123359

(pics and poll above)

Arch lip rolled under at the top but to keep the stock look they have let the lower/sides as normal which sounded like a good idea

The old front panel

Wings welded up

Old Roller sat doing nothing lol

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Not a huge update, but I finished stripping the car last week and pulled the engine and wiring loom out.

Please excuse the poor pics.

Got the arches mocked up to mark out where to cut, I'll be using as little of the repair panel as possible as its only the edge of the arch that needs work. Bugs when I see people welding the entire panel in in one go…

Roof's all done :D

Rear engined 106!

Riding a little low..lol

Really hope to be getting some more pics and progress up soon…

MY Build Thread

Back to the top

box box box

Another rather small update, the car is taking SO long to be done that I decided to start striping the engine back and give it a fresh lick of paint.

Got these delivered yesterday, but annoyingly 2 of of the wheels where stacked on top of each other so it did a bit of grinding of the lip one one of the alloys.. not a huge issue as they came with a spare set of 1/2" lips, but went to put them away today and only noticed a big dent on the inside of the wheel! It's right on the inside lip, so hopefully I can get it fixed up by a wheel refurb place along with a few of the scrapes on the outer lips. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Started to fully strip down the engine today and get all the parts off ready for either shot blasting and powder coating, or just a good old rub down and paint.. not sure which is the best way to go yet for the best finish.

Got most of the paint off the gearbox but still need to get into the corners and all the bits where the scraper won't fit, thinking of just using nitromors, and then a wire brush on a drill?

Also found a guy in Northampton that for about £40 will take a box as full as you can get it, and zinc plate it. So I'm going to get most of the nuts and bolts re-done.

Especially as when I took out one of the water pipe bolts, I was left with this to deal with…

Also despite my previous efforts of keeping my parents garage tidy (see page 1) my dad managed to fill it crap again, so I've done a deal that I will tidy it for them as long as I can use the whole garage just for my Golf until it's finished, then they can have it back lol..

BEFORE

AFTER

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Few quick pics to keep you interested :D

MY Build Thread

There are too many online users to list.