Skip navigation

New Here

Back to the top
Hi all I am looking to start my ownership with a Cabriolet as I have been wanting one for a while but never got round to getting one.

So I've come across a local one. However it's a restoration project which I want. I think I could get it for £1k or under. Its sat for a while in a garage. But not been MOTd since 2012. Not running either. Am I blinded by the thoughts of ownership and it being local.

A couple of pics below to show condition.

It does have a sticker from this forum. So I was wondering if anyone could help with who has had it in the past. car reg is F606DHG

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Hi and welcome.
I does not appear in our car register, perhaps someone else might know.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

New Here

Hi and welcome. I bought my cabby as a resto for 1k that also was a non runner and had date on long wet grass fro 5 years prior to my purchase. Luckily it had no rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Re: New Here

wilko13 said

Hi and welcome. I bought my cabby as a resto for 1k that also was a non runner and had date on long wet grass fro 5 years prior to my purchase. Luckily it had no rust

That's the kinda response I've been looking for to fill me with confidence that I'm doing the right thing and salvaging a car.

I've thought about just getting it on the road to see what kinda car it is and worth spending more on it in the long run.

Back to the top

New Here

Mines a gti I managed to get it motd in 6 months but been working on it making it better over the last 4 years. Including just had a top end engine rebuild

Back to the top
The prev MOT didn't list any major rot so if its been stored in doors should still be sound.

The list of advisories is all doable bolt off/on if you are DIYing and have a few basic tools

Note the mainbeam tell tale is fail now, I put on a how-to somewhere on the site

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

colinmeikle6 said

I've thought about just getting it on the road to see what kinda car it is and worth spending more on it in the long run.

That sounds like a very sensible way to go about it.

Once you've got it running you'll be much better placed to make the decision as to whether or not you want to take it further, and the costs involved in doing so.

You won't have invested large sums of money into other areas of the car and will be able to sell it (most likely at a profit) if you change your mind.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Take it slow, and make it what you want it to be.

Back to the top
Welcome along  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
As it's a GTi don't try and start it, but try and turn the engine over by hand, 19mm socket on the crank nut.

The petrol will need getting out of the tank and dispose of if it's not turned to treacle, the injection system is sensitive to containment in the fuel so new fresh petrol and a clean tank will pay dividends in the long run.

As for rust, it’s a cabriolet not a tin top as they rust for a past time, Karmann must be better at rust proofing there cars.
Feel the inner lip of the rear wheel arch’s (be careful of any sharp bits of metal), check the rear beam mounting points, you may have some rust in the bottom corners of the front wings but most of that is hidden by the body kit.

Common rust problem which can be tricky to fix is around the roof especially near the C pillar or the lip where the tension cable runs.
feel the bottom of the rear window on the inside as it’s metal and expensive to replace if you can find a good rear screen frame.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

New Here

So looks like I'm back to square one looking for one. The first one I seen, the seller doesn't seem keen to let it go as a whole and might be breaking it for more cash in the long term……

Found another. Asked what price he was looking for offered to pay his asking price….. now he is waiting to hear back from someone else

Could take a while to get one hahah.

Back to the top

New Here

So nobody has told me about the stress of just buying one to start with

So now the one on ebay…. offered him over and above his asking cause he said he had someone else interested in it….. but now he has ended the listing.

Must have had a private bidding war between the 2 of us going on.

So back to square 1 again. If anyone can point me in the direction of a project white cabriolet it would be greatly appreciated as that is 2 offers I've gave on 2 separate cars with no avail.

Cheers

Back to the top
I got mine via seeing it on ebay. Went to check it was as described, decided I'd struggle to find anything better and paid what he wanted outside ebay.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

New Here

So after a couple of days getting the run around on other cars if managed to get this.

Comprehensive advert with list of all done to it that just made my mind up for me. Easy transaction no messing about

Cant wait to get it delivered next week.

Back to the top
Hi all!

Can't wait to own a Mk1 again soon, so many awesome cars here!

Have owned :-

Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Mk4
Bugs, Buses, Type 3
Porsche 911T '71

Back to the top

colinmeikle6 said

So after a couple of days getting the run around on other cars if managed to get this.

Comprehensive advert with list of all done to it that just made my mind up for me. Easy transaction no messing about

Cant wait to get it delivered next week.

Nice!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.