Skip navigation

Newbie in the market to buy - advice needed please

Back to the top

Newbie in the market to buy - advice needed please

Mark 1 GTI convertible wanted - where to start

Crowey26 said

FAO Chortle
What cleaning / maintenance products and techniques do you recommend for the hood?

303 Aerospace protectant and cleaner for fabric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
IMG_3259.jpg IMG_3261.jpg IMG_3263.jpg

Really happy with the exterior now and raised the bar with this example.
The drivers door was a disaster and took almost 2 days to get right. A real bodge job before now looks just right. Scratches on the rear off side quarter panel and gone as is the nasty dent on below the rear lights

The bonet will need a respray and the wheels need a refurb but that can all wait

Back to the top
BAD NEWS however
I picked up what sounded and felt like a misfire.
All new leads and new fuel injectors still didnt solve the issue.
It was rough on idle and cut out despite timing light work and attempts at tuning.
Eventually got around to getting a compression test done and cylinder 1 and 2 have low pressure..
:(
gutted.
What advice do you give me guys? whats the best and worst case and also what are the checking questions I should be asking? I should get more info on the reasons for this in the next few days - valve seats suspected to be the problem but not confirmed.

Back to the top
What had happened to the drivers door and what did he have to do to lift it? Its looking well despite the misfire. Cant quite see how bad your wheels are in the pics but I was lucky I got mine to 95% condition with lots of elbow grease and compounds autosol works wonders on the silver lips

Back to the top
Door had a dent  and oads of filler but simply not fixed properly  All good now Wheels are fine and like u say, will look good after some graft 

Cylinder 1 and 2  at 100 and  3 and 4 at 150

Apparently no air leak on inlet side…

Back to the top
Yes that's low compression, time to pull the head off and have a look inside, if lucky could just be the head gasket but worth fitting new valve stem seals and check the valve guides for wear.
How many miles has the car done?

You could drive it during the summer and plan head rebuild come winter time… that’s what I would do. :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks Mark

Back to the top
A324223E-D5EC-4F0C-9E7D-7A458B35AF8A.jpeg Took the GTI to another mechanic who spent a couple of hours on the mixture and timing… a simple tune up and it's running lush again
Totally fell out with the mechanic I was using
They took advantage of me sadly but I'm pleased to have found someone that was recommended and is of an age that can work these older engines

I think I have a blowy exhaust manifold and may go for a stainless steel

i noticed this leaky hydraulic rod for the hood
Any advice?

Back to the top
hi all
i have had a great summer and really enjoyed my sportline.
I thought i would share with you some progress with my little project and as ever, I have a few questions before a full winter service.
here is a consolidate list of the work to date:
Cambelt & timing belt
Engine service, flush, new fluids throughout
Key for boot
Cable for back seat
New thermostat
Fan fix
Steering rack out and fix
Shocks and springs on 4 corners
Oil leak - new gaskets
Plugs, HT leads, new dip stick
Two front tyres
Battery  
Coachwork (two dents, rear quarter, arches, & touching in)
driver door dent fix
Sportline mats
new fuel injectors
Car cover (stormforce)
Timing & gearbox oil change
Sportline decals
hydraulic arm leak (roof), rear wheel bearing, aireal fix, suspension check
Starter motor
hydraulic fluid for roof
full scraper seal set

The car has been commissioned for a new pop band's EP and i hope to be asked to provide the car for the video which could be overseas. Pics are all embargoed right now but i'll share pics when I can

Forthcoming service plans with questions

upgraded headlights (i am  exploring options. Not after LED, white modern lights, just high quality bulbs that fit the existing set up. any advice?)
hydraulic arm leak fix (again - this has started to leak for the 2nd time in 3 months.
Rear bushes needed (standard or upgrade options - advice welcome)
leak down  & value seats if needed (considering a leak down test and really getting the engine running as good as it can
K&N air filter - any advice on where best to purchase from. Amazon looks cheapest)
Full service (standard)
wheel refurb - best price i have for this is £324. I have the standard BBS Sportine wheels, two of which are looking pretty tired now

as ever, really value your comments and advice

adam

Back to the top
  IMG_4303.jpg

Last edit: by Crowey26

Back to the top
  IMG_4303.jpg IMG_4767.jpg

Back to the top
one year on and this is still not sold and is now listed at £6k not £8k
https://www.londonandsurreycars.co.uk/view-stock/hampton-court-surrey-volkswagen-golf-clipper-956/
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.