Skip navigation

16v engine in a MK1 by paul-c

Back to the top

16v engine in a MK1 by paul-c

Well, here's how things look at the moment:

Most things are connected, the only sticking points now are a slight coolant leak from a flange, the ignition system not working, and a couple more electrical connections to make.

The starter motor not properly turning over, was down to a poor earth between starter motor and battery, so I have now fitted a big fat wire directly between these two things. And the battery and starter motor are fine, thank goodness. I didn't want to spend even more money on it!

The ignition system is a bit of an puzzle, everything is connected as it should be. I fitted the old system back on too, and that doesn't produce a spark either! So I'll take a further look tomorrow. If needs be I can swap-test components off the other Mk1.

Still loads to do, for example I need to remove the exhaust and weld on another support for it. The flexible section means that the exhaust droops and with the severe lowering, this could be an issue. Also I had problems with the Ashley clamps, I've fitted generic ones but I'll need to swap these for the Ashley ones (with a little mod/adapting) because the lack of space means I can't position it without leaving something dangling underneath the car.

It WILL run one day, maybe tomorrow, maybe 6 months away……

Back to the top
looking good mate  :D

Out of interest, is that brake reservoir new? Where can ya get them from?

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top

ManicGTI said

looking good mate  :D

Out of interest, is that brake reservoir new? Where can ya get them from?

I can answer that one  :lol: Dealer still do them ?17.86 + vat cap xtra .

So mine came from the local Scrappy , couple of washes with the dishes in the diswasher  8O came out mint .

Nice work Paul

Cheers………

Back to the top

Update - it runs!

Well, I didn't achieve my personal target of getting it started and running at the 1st turn of the key….. After a number of evenings trying to trace an ignition fault, I attached the old GTI ignition system - still no spark. Then I realised I'd spliced in a slightly different connector onto the wires for the hall sender. So once I'd spliced in the correct connector, I did a test run with a loose spark plug - spark from coil. Then, I did another test - spark from dizzy output(s).

Then I thought, oh well, may as well try it…..no thermo time switch wired in yet, so a squirt of "Cold start" and:

Yay!

Once I'd let it warm up a to normal running temperature, I tried a few more revs (remember, this is still with the old ignition system, no advance):

There's still plenty more to do, but I know the engine's a runner and there's hope for the little monster yet….

Back to the top
:clap:

well done

Back to the top
Nice! Sounds nasty when revving! I like... 8)

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Nice one Paul !  Sounds great !!!

Back to the top
yay!  :y:

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Sweeeeeet  8)

The feeling when it first goes is worth all the hard work getting there…

Rich

Back to the top
hello nice to see it all coming along.
did you get the airbox to fit well?
i have the same engine in mine and im missing half the airbox and it does draw up from the chassis legs, its good as the pipe is always cold (power rohr one) so its obviously not drawing in much hot air at all.
nice to see many pics coming along.

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
Keep up the good work

Back to the top
bet your right foot keeps twitching in your sleep :D

Back to the top
Just read the whole thread, boy I need a cuppa tea :lol:  

What made you blank off 2 outputs on the M/C, just wondering really as when I did mine I had loads of room.

www.vwcaddy.com

Back to the top

dub-ha8 said

Just read the whole thread, boy I need a cuppa tea :lol:  

What made you blank off 2 outputs on the M/C, just wondering really as when I did mine I had loads of room.

Ummmm lack of room? I could have squeezed the brake pipe connections on, just about. But I'd already put in T pieces because previously, the car had a 2 outlet 16V master cylinder. By chance I'd obtained another (4 outlet) master cylinder with 2x blanks, so it was not too much trouble to reroute the pipes to the other side and gain some more space.

Back to the top
Cheers for the encouraging comments guys! If I'd have known how much hassle the conversion was going to be, and how much money it would have cost, I might not have started on it all!!! Or, gone the whole hog and fitted a VR6. But, once its running its reassuring to know that most of the stuff under the bonnet is new or has been checked over to be fully serviceable. Hopefully once the little gremlins are ironed out, I'll have a number of years of reliable motoring, with 165bhp or so as a bonus too….

Back to the top
Looking good paul - that TTS should be with you by now  :D

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
hi again paul
just read what you wrote, how much has it cost you?
just wondering if it was cheaper to buy and engine and get them to fit it or do it all yourself?
Just to let you know (im not boasting) i bought a 185bhp rebuilt motor with lots done and had a garage to fit mine along with all new genuine mounts, water bottle, etc etc.

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top

de3660 said

hi again paul
just read what you wrote, how much has it cost you?
just wondering if it was cheaper to buy and engine and get them to fit it or do it all yourself?
Just to let you know (im not boasting) i bought a 185bhp rebuilt motor with lots done and had a garage to fit mine along with all new genuine mounts, water bottle, etc etc.

Dunno how much, don't want to add up all the bills, but it was lots! I ended up replacing or refurbing things I'd never originally planned to do:

New oil cooler and sandwich plate
Radiator
Head needed skimming
With the head off, decided to replace all the valve stem seals
Starter motor
Some of the electrics
Lots of little parts, mainly from VW

Its taken so long because I decided to address many other items as well as the engine itself. For example, painting the engine bay; cleaning and powder coating lots of parts; uprating the oil cooling, etc etc. Basically, everything within or around the engine bay, has been cleaned, painted or replaced. So its more like a mini-resto rather than a 'simple' engine conversion.

I think (general advice) if you come across a rebuilt engine, it will inevitibly cost more than an unknown one, but will financially work out! I just think I was a little unlucky with some items.

Back to the top
Bit of an update, today I finally got the 16V ignition system working. After running through a bunch of checks in the Mk2 Golf Haynes manual, I realised the wiring harness and ECU had really dirty connections, so I cleaned them up as best I could, and it all works! I had to turn the dizzy really far to advance the ignition so it runs properly, not sure why it should be so far away from where the bolts are placed - its almost at the end of adjustment range! Oh well, it runs. Frustratingly, the engine is so tight on the right of the engine bay, I can't see the timing marks with a strobe - I guess I can use the one on the flywheel though?

Other little things were done today too - for example, I swapped the starter motor again (the 'new' one off a scrapped Mk2 was sticky) and fixed a blowing fuse issue, which also made my centre console gauges work again). Unfortunately I'd not secured my oil cooler lines properly (they were way too long anyway), which resulted in one of them rubbing against the fanbelt and popping. So I've completely removed the external air-oil cooler for now.

Back to the top
Now that spring has sprung, I managed to do plenty today. Main job was to fit the exhaust better. Due to the shape of the middle section on a Mk1, it would sag unless prevented from doing so. On an original Mk1, the downpipe was in one section and would prevent the sag. On my system, there is a flexi section, so it could twist around this and droop. Its really important its tucked up nice and high, because my car is lowered 80mm or so.

So, I fashioned a bracket which is bolted to the floorpan. Its in 2 pieces and allows height adjustment.

Here is the bracket bolted to the floorpan

Here is the other half of the bracket, bolted together with the mid section in place

Other work has been minor items such as cleaning up hoses, some more wiring, fitting headlamps and bumper, etc.

At least it looks like a car again.

Now long now…..just need to fit the horn, bolt down the ECU and tie up some of the wires and hoses, and sort the insurance, then I can take it for a test drive.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.