Skip navigation

Cabriolet roof dye

Back to the top

Dye restoration roof kit

Just bought our first MK1 golf Clipper Cabriolet and the roof needs attention. Can anyone recommend a dye kit please.

Back to the top
chortle is best chap for roof advice

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

Cabriolet roof dye

First you need to be asking why you want to dye it.
Hoods come in a couple materials.
PVC and fabric (cloth, mohair) are other names.
PVC shrinks and suffers from UVA Sunlight attack and they go porous allowing moisture in.

Fabric hoods are made from 3 layers of material bonded together.
The middle core is rubber.
This rubber breaks down over the years and the top sheet can shred.
Sometimes you can have a fabric hood that looks ok in the outside but the central core is shot.
Hoods have a finite life and should be treated with the proper cleaners and treatments suitable for the material they are made of from day one.

I don’t personally think applying any dye or paint to an old knackered hood is a great solution.
That will not undo years of damage to the materials properties.
Ideally old hoods should be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Sorry to barge in, but whats the experts suggestion for the best cleaner and conditioner/protectors for PVC?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Cabriolet roof dye

303 aerospace cleaner and protectant for plastic. They use this on hot tub covers, boat seats etc. It has an inhibitor that acts like a sun lotion for the plastic this cutting out the harmful UVA Sunlight.
So it’s good for door tops so they resist that cracking.
They do a twin pack for both plastic and fabric hoods.

Back to the top
 I cant afford to replace just yet so have decided to dye it as its patchy. Not that I should have to explain to anyone why I want to do things to my car.

Thank you for the replies

Back to the top

Nic76 said

I cant afford to replace just yet so have decided to dye it as its patchy. Not that I should have to explain to anyone why I want to do things to my car.

You are very correct, but then again if some previous owner used a product that contains silicone, then your dye will not penetrate and make a splotchy top worse, unless you get all the previous conditioners off the material.

More true if it is a Vinyl top over mohair.

So in the future, please remember that we are hear to help you not berate or admonish you.  We are trying to help you.

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
If you want to try mate, I'd suggest using the renovo range of soft top cleaners and dyes. 

I've recoloured a few hoods using renovo stuff, it's really good. 

But clean clean clean it first, then make sure it's somewhere free from the weather and bone dry for the colouring process.  

Back to the top
Plus one for Renovo stuff, the wife's mohair hood came up a treat and continues to bead up nicely when it rains.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

Cabriolet roof dye

Perfectly reasonable question as to why you want to dye it.
You asked the question I’ve given you an answer based on limited information.
I’ve taken the time out to explain what and why things happen to the material.
And the reasons why why I reach my conclusion.
This is based on years of experience working on cabriolet hoods.
Again dyeing a hood is superficial and will not repair old damage.
At no point was there any admonishment but  enquiries as to why?
Especially if I could of offered you an alternative based on better information.
As said we are here to help.

Back to the top

Re:

Nic76 said

Why ask for advice when you  don't want to the hear the answer you did not want to hear we are all in the same position they are all pure money pits but enjoyable if you are going to do the job do it once if the funds are not available wait until they are and save what you have wasted on a temporary repair that is my view

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
The advice they asked for was what dye to use on their patchy roof. 

So usually, you'd suggest a dye for them to use. 

Not lecture the person on the rights and wrongs of their decision. 

Back to the top
I am sorry for being a bit blunt earlier.  I have had the occasion to re-dye, re-spray a variety of seats, over the years.

I cleaned them with TSP, and other detergents.  I have then had to re-soften the vinyl to make it totally devoid of all soap residue, with Spray Brake Cleaner on a rag.

I resprayed the seat with VHT and was well pleased with the result that lasted about 6 years before it started to wear off.  Not like the MG's seats that I re-sprayed back in the 70's that tended to flake off….(lesson learned) even tho it was scrubbed clean.  Paints were not very good back then.

Here are some during an after cleaning shots of the boot cover, that I cleaned, then hit with brake cleaner to get all the crud/ dirt, and residual protectorant out of the grain,  I had to be quick as if left on too long you can melt the vinyl..

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 1.12.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 1.12.39 PM.png

I then used VHT Saddle Tan to re-spray it to match my new Mohair top and interior.

(only shot I have to show the boot)
Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 1.17.44 PM.png

I am well pleased with the result, and hope it lasts as long as the Seats I re-sprayed for a car show (Bright white).. did get Second Place that year..

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Cabriolet roof dye

Roach
That is not accurate.
The original post was that the roof needed attention.
It wasn’t mentioned the reason was because it was patchy till later on in the thread.
There was no lecture but information to make an informed decision that they may not of realised.
Nor did I ever ask about anyone’s finances. That was offered up too.
A simple answer would be it’s patchy.
Then we could ask for a photo or see if it’s been dyed before and the dyeing process has failed or the material is sun bleached or been mullered with a pressure washer.
Loads of reasons why a roof needs attention (or is patchy).
Some roofs may only just need a proper clean and not Dyeing.
The more info the better help and ideas we can give, it’d be a shame if for example money was spent on dyes and the roof only needed cleaning.
I’ve replaced roofs that have been dyed and often they have a grainy feel to them afterwards or patchy results. Depending on the condition of the initial roof the dye can also seep through and affect the components underneath.
There’s plenty to take into consideration.

Back to the top
All irrelevant, they asked for a dye kit recommendation. 

Recommend one. 

Simple. 

No need for a long drawn out explanation…. Again. :)

Back to the top

Cabriolet roof dye

Off topic in around about way my mk2 interior is a mess so the problem needs to be addressed after various quotes from £600 to a £1000 for two front seats why can't i sort it with no advice or help i have decided  to sort it in my own way saved big style for money to put to other parts I may need  i never really ask for help just sort things in my way how it needs to be done to suit me no one else it is my car

Back to the top

Re: Cabriolet roof dye

nicci21paul said

Off topic in around about way my mk2 interior is a mess so the problem needs to be addressed after various quotes from £600 to a £1000 for two front seats why can't i sort it with no advice or help i have decided  to sort it in my own way saved big style for money to put to other parts I may need  i never really ask for help just sort things in my way how it needs to be done to suit me no one else it is my car

Why not make your own decision i would not recommend anything to anyone when the wheels come off its your fault this forum is full of adults who can think and surely make a decision for their selves

Back to the top

Roach said

The advice they asked for was what dye to use on their patchy roof. 

So usually, you'd suggest a dye for them to use. 

Not lecture the person on the rights and wrongs of their decision. 

This is why I don't bother with forums. People feel they have to lecture others. I asked about dye kits. Nothing more

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Plus one for Renovo stuff, the wife's mohair hood came up a treat and continues to bead up nicely when it rains.

Thank you

Back to the top

Roach said

If you want to try mate, I'd suggest using the renovo range of soft top cleaners and dyes. 

I've recoloured a few hoods using renovo stuff, it's really good. 

But clean clean clean it first, then make sure it's somewhere free from the weather and bone dry for the colouring process.  

I have a cleaner from renovo. I have read up on it so nice to hear positive reviews.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.