Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI

Back to the top
Hi I've been in the background for a couple of years now considering all things MK1 Golf GTI. I've looked at projects, really rough cars and even considered buying one or two off eBay.  

Thanks to this forum, and after speaking with RetroShack I've steered away from a lot of things because it seems much more sensible to try and buy something that's been looked after rather than buy something that needs a bare metal job. With all of this said I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find anything that seems straight and that also has bit of history. I'm asking you lovely fellow members for some help really.

I've got a healthy, but not a Campaign' budget and wanted to ask what I should look for? Does anyone know if anything that might be for sale? I'm after a tin top and not a convertible so if you can steer me in the right direction and help me to achieve my long term dream of owning a MK1 GTI then I would be incredibly grateful.

Back to the top
Are you looking for tiptop or cabby?  How much are you wanting to spend. Do you really require gti?
There's quite a few cars out there..

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

Re:

Kenneth Cartwright said

Are you looking for tiptop or cabby?  How much are you wanting to spend. Do you really require gti?
Says in the post tin top not cabriolet early start mate feeding duty

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top

MK1 Golf GTI

Your budget needs to be somewhere between £7-£12k ish I would estimate for something in a reasonable condition but still needing elements to be improved upon.

If you are below this then your in pot luck or worse territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Backinblack said

Your budget needs to be somewhere between £7-£12k ish I would estimate for something in a reasonable condition but still needing elements to be improved upon.

If you are below this then your in pot luck or worse territory.

That's exactly my budget but difficult to find one. I thought I found a really nice one that has had a resto in 2015 but I've found out the car is a Cat C.

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

Yes tin top, and I want a GTI to be honest. 
My budget is 10-12k so fairly healthy.

Back to the top

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

Back to the top
The 78 ISN'T a swallowtail…..but is described as one…..hmmmmm

Back to the top

paul_c said

And is it me or is the back 1/2 of the car a different shade to the front…?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Its a good example of the issues the OP is facing. The car is heavily modified, some of which are difficult or impossible to reverse. Its unfinished with some problems which would need resolving to use it. And its spent the last 5 years with very few miles put on - so probably suffering a little from being stored and not used.

I am sure some people do mods really well, but normally they are done with not quite the quality that those aiming for originality achieve. The question mark over the paintwork would prompt the question, has the corrosion/bodywork been meticulously done to prevent future problems? Scotland is a long way to go and see the car and find out there's issues with the paintwork too (unless you happen to live nearby).

Back to the top
I'd avoid that 'swallowtail' 😂😂

Back to the top
I have seen this but difficult to know how much recommissioning works required when a car has been stood for 5 years.

Back to the top

Back to the top

MK1 Golf GTI

Thoughts on this one then. Top money for a non original car.  

VW MK1 Golf GTI Only one previous owner

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK1-Golf-GTI-Only-one-previous-owner-/114845202214?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Back to the top

Backinblack said

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK1-Golf-GTI-Only-one-previous-owner-/114845202214?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

That was my thought, and it's a lot of money for something where you don't love the colour….although I'd be happy to have it if cheaper 😂

Back to the top

MK1 Golf GTI

It’s my favourite colour. But a little over
Priced

Back to the top
I love it when people end a advert by saying no test pilots……like you would with a Mk1 Golf for £16k.

What about this one: 1981 VW GOLF MK1 GTI For Sale

Back to the top

Backinblack said

I really like those wheels. That's what I'd have on mine if I had the money.

Mk1 GTI PB said

I love it when people end a advert by saying no test pilots……like you would with a Mk1 Golf for £16k.

What about this one: 1981 VW GOLF MK1 GTI For Sale

I didn't think the black cars came with red seats..front spoiler doesn't look original either. That said, it looks pretty good. In terms of recommisioning, it could be a simple fluid and belt change, but could run to fuel system if the tank has had fuel in it, and possibly some of the seals may have dried up a bit. If you are willing to get your hands dirty then nothing impossible.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paul_c said

There is a note added to say he'd got that wrong.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.