Skip navigation

One tune every day thread two...2018

Back to the top

Back to the top

david196520 said

Morning,I woke up to this going round my head.Neneh cherry slurring the immortal phrase"What is 'e loike?"  Will haunt my dayBuffalo stance

Still a brilliant tune.
But yeah, that line…..

Back to the top
OKay, slight delay in everything.
It's been a strange old week so there's a couple of updates back to back.

(Wednesday 27th September - Day 2)
The gentle art of making Frenemies

So last night I grabbed some food with my partner in crime and we discussed my exit from the Empire.
The original plan had been to sort it all yesterday but it was Lord Vader's first day back after two weeks away pretending he likes his wife and kids and we just didn't get the chance.
Oh yeah, I should probably mention at this point that I tend to relate everything back to Star Wars.  It makes it easier to keep up with, especially if you're as obsessed with the films as I am.
If you're not, then.
Erm…
Anyway, moving on.
So it didn't happen and we were trying to work out how the Empire would react and what they'd do with me.  
Ideal world?  They'd totally understand and send me off on Garden leave.  I could do with the break, I need to get my head back together and address a couple of issues outside of work and start focussing on the next Episode.
But, realistically, we knew that wouldn't happen. The rest of the Empire doesn't see things the same way we do, which is a large reason why I'm doing what I'm doing and going off to travel the stars as a freelance bounty hunter.
Hang on, I'm rambling again.
So, I finally get to sit down with Vader, I've got all my arguments ready and I'm up for a spirited conversation.
But it's surprisingly easy.  
He totally sees where I'm coming from, understands why I have to go off and do it and wants to make everything as easy as possible.  We both knew this was coming and I've bought myself some brownie points by being honest, hopefully they'll return the favour.
So now we play the waiting game until they come back to me.  The adrenaline and caffeine have long since worn off and the terrifying realisation of what I'm about to go off and do is sat there like a mad ex at a dinner party, just waiting for the right time to kick off.
Luckily though, it turns out I have support.  We won't get into the whys and wherefores of why I find this odd, especially as I've never asked for it.  I'll never be used to it but it means I'm not tackling this on my own, but it's pretty cool to know.
And my character in all this?
I'm certainly not the hero, I don't think anyone comes out of this looking like the good guy to be honest.  And Vader isn't that bad, he's just a guy doing what he thinks is right given the circumstances.
And even the Emperor is pretty cool.  Yeah, he can get the hoop a fair bit and throw electricity round, but it's his business.  
I suppose I'd be Fett and I'd like to say it's because I was accidently popular and effortlessly cool.  But that isn't it.  It's probably more to do with the fact that by the time I'm getting involved in a situation it's because things have gone wrong somehow.
Until next time….

Back to the top
This is quick update I did for somewhere else I write for occassionally.
I'd posted Day 2 and got a couple of questions about what was going on inside my head during all this.
The truth is, it's a total car crash.  I'm pretty mentally resistant, I've seen and been part of some terrible things but i've taken my eye off the ball and my head is a mess.
Anyhoo, today's update should explain more but while you wait fot that, take all this in.

Oh, tune for today - Kid Rock - When you love someone

D Funk dons the sensible hat

Hey, good morning everyone.  Quick update today as I won't know anything until later.
First up, cheers for all the feedback.  This is utterly terrifying but needs to be done.  I know this bit is meant to be anonymous but that of you that know me either in person or online can probably work it out but lets just keep the illusion alive for the time being yeah?)
Okay.  So.
Following on from a couple of comments I want to talk about mental wellbeing, specifically yours.
Look, I know it can be a funky subject but it's really fappin' important.
I'm lucky, really lucky.  It turns out that despite my best efforts I have a pretty wicked support network.  I can be a miserable, cantankerous, horrible bast**d to be around but I've got people that I can just pick up the phone to with no questions asked.  There's two or three people out there that are just unflinchingly supportive.  They don't give a daffodil how rude I am or the incessant verbal cat sh*t that streams out of my mouth when I'm manic, they'll just listen while I talk myself round. And they don't ask for anything in return.
I'd never directly tell them, but I cannot explain using human words how important this is to me.  
I'm a robot a lot of the time.  My upbringing and previous life have numbed me to the normal way of things so letting anything go is a big daffodil deal.
But sometimes you have to do it.
Don't just do it for yourself, do it for the people around you you're lucky enough to have that'll be there when it all goes to poop.  People aren't stupid, they can see when things aren't right.  And if they're making the effort then the chances are they want to help, or at least listen.   
I'm a firm believer that Family is what you make it.  It's not always the people you're born to, it's the people you choose to surround yourself with.
And Family should always be there for each other
So yeah, there it is.  
That's my hippy, chai latte laden plea that you people man the daffodil up and admit that you're beaten sometimes.  It might not immediately help, but it can give the people around you an idea about what's going on inside that melon of yours.

Have an excellent day out there, normal idiocy resumes.

Back to the top

He Mr Funk. Just spent 5 minutes reading your posts.

It sounds like too many people do not meet the standards you set yourself and that is frustrating. I get the Incompetence of others especially when you have worked your way up and others seem to be gifted it.

I did a similar move 10 years ago and it took 2 jobs and 2 really a hole bosses to work my way into a role I love and feel I make an impact on the business.

I still learnt in bad roles and learnt some really valuable stuff. So keep at it and give every role 3 years to make it right or leave.

May post some tunes later off on the school run now !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
My song for today, because I'm in a Nujabes mood.

Sign (Feat Pase Rock) - Nujabes - YouTube

Back to the top

david196520 said

Morning,I woke up to this going round my head.Neneh cherry slurring the immortal phrase"What is 'e loike?"  Will haunt my dayBuffalo stance
For some reason it always reminds me of:

"What's 'e loike Mavis?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2-lczoLETU
Sorry!!!

Back to the top
Scrambled update as concentration is really hard at the moment.  
A million things going round the head so anything coherent is a pain.

I'm good at two or three things in life.
I'm a passable cook, I know half a dozen decent recipes and I genuinely enjoy it.  You'd need to talk to my customers/victims/guinea pigs but none of them have ever died and more than one has come back for seconds.
What I'm really good at is people watching.  I should be, it used to be a major part of my job.
I can still stand in a bar (back to the wall, eyes on the exits, obviously) and point out the dealers, the couples having a quiet row and the potential fight risks.  It's come in handy more than once and still gives me an adrenaline kick.
So when things used to kick off, it would normally go one of two ways.
If we were lucky, one of us would have spotted things escalating and prepared.
There's a moment when everything just stands still before it all goes mental.  A split in time when your body decides whether it's fight, or flight and you start figuring out what happens next.  And everyone is doing the same thing.  
Then everything erupts.
I was lucky that I had an excellent team and, for the most part, we all worked well together, we watched each other's backs, especially important for me as Manager as I'm tiny.
But, more often than not, it's quick, it's nasty and it's all exploding before you've had time to get your bearings properly and come up with a plan that's going to work.  Normally there's one of a couple of tell-tale noises then a scuffle.  That's when it can get horrible and if you're not watching each other's back you're in real trouble and the aftermath is usually just as bad.
So, where possible, you keep your eyes open, take everything in, anticipate and always, always make sure you've got your buddies covered.  But to do that you've got to listen to advice.
Unfortunately, with everything on inside and outside of work I ignored people and didn't take notice of what was going on and ended up running myself into the ground to such a degree that I'm booking some time away in a forest somewhere to get my head back on track.
And the Wingman?  
We're tight, despite both our best efforts.  We've both got our own sh*t to be dealing with we get on each others nerves now and again but, for the most part, we're cool.  I'm genuinely looking forward to working with her properly again once the mechanics have put her back together and both our heads are on properly.
It took a while for me to learn to actively trust anyone again, and the information exchange is definitely one sided but despite me being an irrational, illusive d*ck-hole some of the time I don't feel I couldn't just pick up the phone.  And it's got to be that way, especially considering what we're planning on doing.
It's like having a cool little sister.  Sometimes you'd happily drown them and there's times when neither of you want to speak to each other, but I wouldn't want to be the idiot that tried to get in between us.
There'd be that second where time stopped and we all considered what was going to happen before it all kicked off.  
We've done this before, we know what we're doing

Back to the top
There's a saying that follows the lines of "a bad workman always blames his tools".
Holy shi*, do I know that to be the truth.
Come on, admit it.  We've all done it.  You're trying to do something, the system or tool you're using isn't doing what it's meant to be doing and you throw a Class A benny and declare everything to be royally fecked.
Is it the kit or you're using or you not using it properly?
A major part of what we do relies on the kit we use and we have to know how to use it properly or it's utterly pointless.  
So imagine the Empire has given you the budget to build yourself another Death Star.  Because of, you know, what happened to the last one.
"So this one?  It's bigger and better yeah?"
"Yeah, it's awesome.  It'll do everything we need it to do and more, make everyone more efficient and generally make life easier for us and expose us to less risk."
"Well, that's excellent.  And you've got training in place so that everyone is up to speed on how to use it properly?"
"Well, obviously.  We've got Fett to do it."
"Isn't he leaving?"
"Yeah.  But as Lord Vader I'm too busy lifting sh*t up with my mind, looking at football results and pretending not to hate my wife and kids so I've left it to the shady mofo to deliver.  It's cool, he's done this thing before and has written a full training guide and induction manual."
"Well that sounds legit.  And you know where all this is kept yeah?"
"Well I'm sure he'll tell us.  Or something.  He definitely won't have drawn winkys on one of two of the slides or changed the wording."
"That sounds solid.  I can sleep easy in the knowledge.  Here's a blank cheque"
I reckon that's how the conversation went anyway.
So yeah, my final job is to deliver training then mentor for a week.
I'll be honest here, it is an amazing piece of kit.  I'm really impressed, and the Storm Troopers are actually really good students.  They question but don't argue, they stress test the system to capacity and the feedback has been largely positive.
At some point yesterday, when I'd hit the wall and the Wingman and I were ignoring each other and our old admin support (yeah, even an Evil Empire need efficient admin support) was threatening to either cry or cripple me so I didn't leave I had one of those terrifying moments where I realised I was giving up a solid salary and a job I could coast to work with a buddy who's clearly as unhinged as I am on our own.
Not going to lie, the sky darkened and the heart rate went up.
But I live in a badly scripted cartoon, and these moments are always there for a reason.  And two of them came along at once.
"Oh, the compliance bit?  The legal bit? Yeah, it's fine.  We'll just bypass that once Fett's gone.  It's funny isn't it Fett?  Because we've just paid all this money for the new Death Star and you're delivering a comprehensive training program to show us how to be better and legal at what we do but the minute you fly off strapped to that jet pack of yours we'll just blag it all like we normally do so the system is just a very expensive, shiny bauble.
You did remember to make sure the shield generator couldn't be over ridden didn't you?"
Yes, of course I did.  Or something.  
So there I was, frustrated, disappointed and realising why I was making the move.
Then the Wingman tells me she's got me two new pieces of armour (knee braces, since you ask.  Because I'm old and a bit broken).  We're both in terrible moods, neither of us really wants to talk (so you know it's a bad day), and we're well into a game of Who's Life is a Bigger Bin Fire?
I'm still angry, things are still a mess.  And I'm only getting the second brace because she can't physically use it.  
But it reminds me why I'm off to do what I do.

It's a small win and I'll take it.

The last Death Star was beaten by someone leaving a vent open.  

Just imagine what we can do.

Back to the top
Skindred - Big Tings
https://youtu.be/Ig3OWHHdmPY

Back to the top

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Two can have a party is my default cheer up song, the version with Marvin Gaye is brilliant too, I first bought it when I was about 14

Back to the top
Default music setting….. im stuck in the 80/90s love listening to rap music, beasties,nwa,ice cube,ice t, but then i can switch to stuff like steps,banarama bonjovi, guns and roses and aqua.. i have no real taste in music only memories that i can attribute to a particular time and song.

M people were a massive musical presence in my late teens, mixed with EDM as its called now. I'm never gonna be a raver, but wish i could break free and let loose just like they did.

https://youtu.be/6YLZTDQeEEw

https://youtu.be/HrKZ9Po6aYA

On the drive

Back to the top

This seems to fit the bill. Enjoy. This was the first ever 12 inch I brought. (remember them)

https://youtu.be/31abJDvQhuU

Back to the top
Screenshot_20181102-082438_BBC News.jpg

Even Bowie liked cabbies.

https://youtu.be/fCP2-Bfhy04

On the drive

Back to the top
Now that winters on the way and we'll all be cooped up inside have a smoldering video of possibly one of the best songs ever

https://youtu.be/dlJew-Dw87I

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Just because

https://youtu.be/nlcIKh6sBtc

Back to the top
This popped up on my ipod (of many memories, it's had the same tunes on it since 2005 and stuff just gets added) on my way to a night shift and I thought 'I ain't heard this in ages'.

What happened to cool tunes like this?

https://youtu.be/c-3EdZoS47E

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Tess Daly was in the video for that.

I keep meaning to get some tunes updated but I've been dealing with the menial issues of a breakdown so haven't quite got round to it.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.