Skip navigation

1100-1300 Small Block Engines

Back to the top

m00 said

Were you lucky with that heat shield or did you fabricate it? mcmilligan

Mine disintegrated the moment I took it off but I did manage to source another one, although it's not in that great a condition either.

I managed to find one, looking at getting some remade, as they are non existent

Back to the top

m00 said

Were you lucky with that heat shield or did you fabricate it? mcmilligan

Mine disintegrated the moment I took it off but I did manage to source another one, although it's not in that great a condition either.

I managed to find one, looking at getting some remade, as they are non existent

Back to the top
There was talk of someone making them a couple of years ago. It never happened  :dry:

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top

m00 said

There was talk of someone making them a couple of years ago. It never happened  :dry:

A relation would has said they would be able to reproduce them, so once mine is of the road over the winter I will look into it :)

Back to the top
HGT still with its original 1.1 engine.

Back to the top
Gorgeous car and engine bay watson!

I got a replacement vw  heat shield of a slightly newer 1.3  small block polo engine  a few years back.

Back to the top
I'm still running the 1.3 small block in mine (although I have only had it a couple of months!).  I was ready to hate it but to be honest it was a lot more pokey than I was expecting it to be and can still be a bit of fun around the local country lanes.  Don't really have the budget for an engine swap anyway as the bodywork is using up all of my funds!  Contemplated carb and exhaust manifold upgrades to try and squeeze a bit more out of it but heard that it's not really worth it

Back to the top
Today we got ours started after a few little problems with the carburator needle valve :)
small video:
Golf mk1 1.1 engine start - YouTube

Back to the top
Can you please give me an idea on my carburetor. Engine is 1.1 gg. Carb model model is solex 31 pic 7
The problem is everytime I have to start the car I have to push de accelerator to give it a little gas or it won't start. Some people push the pedal before cranking, but mine won't start unless I give some fuel while is cranking to start. Could be losing some air? It's been a couple of years since I have this problem. It is not very annoying but i would like to fix it in the near future

Back to the top

Bahna Cosmin said

Can you please give me an idea on my carburetor. Engine is 1.1 gg. Carb model model is solex 31 pic 7
The problem is everytime I have to start the car I have to push de accelerator to give it a little gas or it won't start. Some people push the pedal before cranking, but mine won't start unless I give some fuel while is cranking to start. Could be losing some air? It's been a couple of years since I have this problem. It is not very annoying but i would like to fix it in the near future

it could be the rubber mount that the carb sits on has deteriorated and needs replacing… happened to mine (GF 1300) before it was fixed  and I changed it to a Weber in the end

Back to the top
Yes, series one Driver with it's original GF engine:thumbs: This is a good guestion! actually we need to know how many exist I think. Can the Club do a register?

Marcus.

Back to the top

Daytona said

Yes, series one Driver with it's original GF engine:thumbs: This is a good guestion! actually we need to know how many exist I think. Can the Club do a register?

Marcus.

nice, I don't think many exist, just guessing from the 'how many are left'. if you search for a  more mk1 specific model such as C Formal E , there are only a handful in the uk. When I search for Golf CL, there are more but they carried on to mk3's too..

Back to the top

NK said

Daytona said

Marcus.

nice, I don't think many exist, just guessing from the 'how many are left'. if you search for a  more mk1 specific model such as C Formal E , there are only a handful in the uk. When I search for Golf CL, there are more but they carried on to mk3's too..

Can Admin get into doing a register of all the (original engine types only) small block engined Mk1's that still exist?
Would be good to know how many and which engine! as then we could have a sub- (sonic  :lol:)  club  within the club :thumbs:

Back to the top
Daytona NK

Erm, the easy answer is no. As you may have noticed Mods and Admins are a bit thin on the ground. (I think there's only a couple of us tbh!)

I wouldn't know where to start with such an idea.

The main problem with something like that is relying on members to register their cars.

If you want to pit something together and sort it our I'm more than happy to help. Especially as I have a small block and think they are far better than GTI's.  :thumbs:Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Does anybody know where can i find electrical loom grommets for the engine bay? Mine it is a 1.1 GG 

Back to the top

Bahna Cosmin said

Does anybody know where can i find electrical loom grommets for the engine bay? Mine it is a 1.1 GG 

Try Mark Carter at vw classic or WERK34 in germany

Probably the best bets. Or just order lots off ebay and pray some fit  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.