Skip navigation

Topic #145037 (no title)

Back to the top

AGM - Uttoxeter as the venue

Is this in distance or traveling time?

Im interested as im the one in Newcastle!

1983 Mk1 Golf Gti 1.8 - Black
1999 Toyota Hi-Lux - White
2008 British Bulldog age 1 - Red & White
2009 Range Rover Sport - Black
2012 Mitsubishi Canter Tipper - Orange

Back to the top
not in distance just the middle of the country try it you'll see what i mean :)

Banner

Back to the top
Very true, Im not too bothered about where the AGM is held, what is more important to me is whats there when I arrive

If the AGM was on my doorstep it wouldn't feel like a mini holiday which I like.  And I doubt as many people would come as northern shows are never as busy as southern ones

1983 Mk1 Golf Gti 1.8 - Black
1999 Toyota Hi-Lux - White
2008 British Bulldog age 1 - Red & White
2009 Range Rover Sport - Black
2012 Mitsubishi Canter Tipper - Orange

Back to the top
jeeeez!.does it really matter where it is.its 1 weekend a year.look at the rs owners  national day at donnington etc.nobody moans….they just go.

Back to the top
Quote: "Furthermore, 80% of the ones that did turn up weren't even cleaned or properly prepared for a show"

Who the flip drives to a dub meet to wash their car?

I only go on ed38 when I need overpriced wheels or a map light for my mk6 spaceship.

Back to the top
This is simple

if you love the car and the club you turn up.

if you cant be arsed you wont simple.
Distance should have little bearing on it.

most of you guys will think nothing of getting to an Airport 2 hrs before you fly away for a weeks holiday in the sun then spend the thick end of 2 hrs on a plane and another 2hr at the other end getting your bags and getting to your hotel.

like I said if you really want to be at the AGM you will get to where ever it is.

tell what is strange and you can take this how you wish but its funny so far not 1 person in the North has wanted it further North even though they would have to travel the same distance and time as those moaning in the south, very weird.. :dontknow:

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
People who live within 2 hours of the show aint going to moan or complain as they obviously dont want it moved as they might have to travel further.

And I dont think its a case of if you love the car & club you will turn up.

There are loads of reasons why people could be put off by the distance.

But its safe to say that if I wanted to start a show I would have it as close to me as I can so its only natural you guys will do the same.

Back to the top
Let's clear a few things up.

1. Closeness isn't a primary deciding factor.
2. Facilities is the primary deciding factor.
3. We've tried Gaydon (more southerly) and the facilities were poor and took more organising.
4. We've tried Coombe Abbey (more southerly)and the facilities were poor and took more organising.
5. The racecourse is big enough to cater for our camping needs. 3 years ago members wanted their cars parked next to their tents. Then they want the closeness like this year, then they don't want to carry the camping gear to a pitch.
6. There is a mixture of hard and soft standing. All soft would have meant a totally cancelled weekend.
7. If you have a good location, similar facilities to Uttoxeter, easy access on all approach routes (when not flooded) then please feel free to ask for a quote and forward it to me. I'll assess it and go from there but it'll have to be much better and much cheaper than our current home!

Back to the top
Im not against the location, I really enjoyed last year and pics from this year look great.

But there has to be a reason why a LOT of our members and non members dont turn up.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

Im not against the location, I really enjoyed last year and pics from this year look great.

But there has to be a reason why a LOT of our members and non members dont turn up.
its the same reason for every show.carnt be bothered.we did a survey on show attendancies a few years ago and found although some shows had a great turn out if you divided the number of members it was in reality a poor turn out

Back to the top
Holidays
Work
Childcare
Distance
Apathy
Fiancies
Car not finished
Weather!

As you say, multiple reasons and more!

Back to the top
Uttoxeter is great all round.

If as much effort went into attending as to knocking it we would have huge turnouts.

Yes the weather this year will have been a bigger deciding factor than distance in my opinion.

But that isn't something the Committee or Chairman can control.

As pointed out we have had a massive increase in Membership, as explained in the meeting. We have over 700 members. So hopefully attendances will improve.

The AG is a way of meeting people, getting to put a face to a username etc and having a chat perhaps saying thanks personally to the username who gave you the Free advice that saved your bacon and a load of money too.

That's why the club has won the best Golf forum in GOLF+ magazine.

It's the same friendliness and helpful attitude that's permeates the AG too.

Examples.

mk1dcky got me a beer for some advice I gave him, didn't expect it, although he did say he would in a pm.
It was very nice too, so cheers.

My rocker cover leaked and I got one off Richy Hill and Dek, EW helped me fit it. I just kept dropping the  nuts as I took em off.
Another Member spotted the nut had wedged in the sprocket and cam belt, what damage could of occurred I don't know if I had started the engine.

So thanks for spotting it.

I didn't have any tools and I asked about one of  the Guy's gave me the keys to his car and said help yourself.

So cheers for the lend.

It's the spirit that makes this the best Club, so just crack on showing other Clubs how it's done and see even more of you at next years AG.

Peace out.

chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Your not allowed to comment carl as you were not there on friday! LOL

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
That's the spirit Mark… lol

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
I think that Uttoxeter is a very good location.Its big enough.It has great facilities and its ideal.The weather didnt help this year but thats something that the Committee and members cant control.I enjoyed the weekend and would like to thank the whole Committee for organising this and making the quick decisions for the changes in the camping arrangements.
The members are great and help each other when they can,the Midlands crew  :D  were a great help to the Halal Boys over the weekend carrying our huge tent and helping us put it up.
So once again i would like to say THANK YOU TO THE WHOLE COMMITTEE AND MEMBERS for making it a great weekend and i cannot wait for next year.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Back to the top
i would travel where ever 100 mile or 600mile for the AGM once you've been to one you will know why! it's the best show in the calendar

Banner

Back to the top

yellowcab said

Ive been to Ed38 a couple of times, I wont be going again, Full of "sceneys" covered in their "fake rims can **** off t-shirts" and pink wheel whore stickers and DC Trainers and flat capped baseball hats and the performance vw "cool dudes".
JOG ON!!!!  :roll:   :banghead:

Not that Im generalising at all of course!

Nothing wrong with DC trainers…although i have heard more negatives than positves and edition 38 shows, never been myself.

This years AG was my first and it wont be my last. The location was ideal for me as its only half an hour away. although it wouldnt stop me going if it was 4 hours away. I have travelled 2.5 3 hours+ for one day shows that have not been as good. I had a great time at AG. Although I didnt know anyone when i turned up everyone was friendly and everyone who walked past stopped to speak to me. Really friendly atmosphere. Loved it. Maybe next year I'll even camp over on the friday as well

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

But its safe to say that if I wanted to start a show I would have it as close to me as I can so its only natural you guys will do the same.
NOT TRUE

If i wanted it closer to home then I would argue for this place
http://www.ukattraction.com/north-west-england/centre-of-britain.htm

Uttoexeter is as middle as we are going to get but folks will always moan simple fact

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
Somethig I just can't understand!.
We have just held our AGM meeting & no one mentioned moving from Uttoxeter. This topic crops up every year.
I have attended many shows from the early nineties with my Mk1 Golfs, from as far apart as Dunfirmline in Scotland to South Wales & Berkshire in the south, & can assure everyone that Uttoxeter is by far the best. It's central location, facilities & size are hard to beat.
     PLEASE put this to bed once & for all, support our committee in thier efforts to move the Club forward, and have a regular meeting venue for the AGM.

Back to the top
Here here, well said my friend!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.