Skip navigation

Difference between 1.6 and 1.8

Back to the top

Difference between 1.6 and 1.8

What is differnce in 1.6 and 1.8 engines the piston is same size,the difference is in the stroke. What must I change to have 1.8 the crankshaft or the connecting rods?

2.0 16V

Back to the top
Bore and stoke are different. So, the block is different. There's a few other details too.

Back to the top
Head's different. Timings different. Power deliverly/torque characteristics are different (1600 more revvy and racy, 1800 more low down torque for easier driving)

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
different bore and stroke. you cannot use the 1.8 pistons with the 1.6 block as the heads are different. the 1.6 head is flat faced. if you want a 1.8, use a complete 1.8 instead of boring and stroking the 1.6

Back to the top
I asked about the MK2's 1.6 and 1.8 in the Haynes manual it says that the bore is same for 1.6 and 1.8 81mm

2.0 16V

Back to the top
the mk1 1.6 were 1588cc, the mk2 were 1595cc. the mk2 1.6 had the same bore as the 1781cc (81mm) but i believe the stroke was 77.4, instead of 86.4
 the mk1 1.6 had a 79.5mm bore and a 80mm stroke.

Back to the top
Are the front part of the exhaust pipe the same (the bit that fixes to the manifold) thanks

Back to the top
Toilet bowl flange is the same between the diesel and the gassers, that is 1.5D and the 1.8.

The single point exhaust had 2 different sizes and if you convert the 4 to 1 manifold, to a 4 to 2 from like a Scirocco then there are 2 different styles there as well.
IIRC.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.