Skip navigation

Wheres the heater blower?

Back to the top

Wheres the heater blower?

the actual motor that is :wink:  mine has stopped working completely, the fuse is ok and the multimeter thinks the switch on the dash is ok too, seems the motor has packed in :(  just dont know where it is!

cheers
Greg 8)

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top

Re: Wheres the heater blower?

Thegreg said

the actual motor that is :wink:  mine has stopped working completely, the fuse is ok and the multimeter thinks the switch on the dash is ok too, seems the motor has packed in :(  just dont know where it is!

cheers
Greg 8)

Its accessed from the engine bay, well the scuttle panel behind it. Once you remove the scuttle panel cover (plastic), you'll see the dome shaped white plastic shroud. It unbolts from here and drops into the interior, so you'll need to remove the centre console too, so you can access it properly.

Back to the top
You can get it out from the top will a little bit of effort without removeing the dash, if its to hard split the motor houseing in two(few clips around it) which makes it alot easier or as said remove the whole dash.

Owner of:

1988 VW Caddy 1.6

www.vwcaddy.com

Back to the top
When you say with a 'little effort' does that mean removing the wiper mechanism? I'm changing the fan this weekend and I really, really don't want to take the centre console out. I have a new fan from GSF - any tips on removing the old fan without taking out the console? Will is simply come out once the four screws have been removed?  :dontknow:

Back to the top

bytor said

When you say with a 'little effort' does that mean removing the wiper mechanism? I'm changing the fan this weekend and I really, really don't want to take the centre console out. I have a new fan from GSF - any tips on removing the old fan without taking out the console? Will is simply come out once the four screws have been removed?  :dontknow:

Brain memory cells are aching a bit here…..but basically, it can be done all from above/within engine bay, and it can be maneouvred around the wiper motor and mechanism, so that doesn't need to come out. The thing is, once the 4 bolts are undone the heater is free to drop down, so it might need pushing up again from inside. The centre console is 1 screw to undo and the gearshift gaiter to unclip, it doesn't have to come out, just moved back a little, to get your hand in there.

Back to the top
OK that doesn't sound too bad - have taken the gaiter off and moved unit forward loads of times when playing around with VDO gauges in the centre console - I just didn't want to have to remove it all as there is a lot of wiring for the gauges/radio etc. And as for removing the dash

If I don't need to take off the wipers, then that is a bonus to!

Any more tips from anyone else much appreciated  :wink:

Back to the top
Couldn't get mine out through the top… there was a lip stopping it. Might work for you though. If not you should still be able to leave the heater matrix attached to the pipes and just slide it out and support it while you remove the big plastic box (for want of a proper name!).

Then just replace the blower and reverse the process. It helps if you remove the lower sections of the dash for access too.

Check your gsf fan for fit because the motor spindle on the new one stuck out 2 or 3 mm more than the original meaning that it wouldn't fit in the big plastic box properly. I had to drill a hole in it to allow free movement of the spindle (and then greased it up). This will be really had to do without removing it (bg plastic box)…

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Cheers mate - will be using your photos to if I go down the console route!

:wink:

Back to the top
oH ECK! …not the 'out through the top/down through the bottom' heater fan argument again!!!
Seriously though, doesn't everybody who drives a Mk 1 buy a workshop manual??? I can't believe anyone would try to run an old car without the basic assistance of a manual…..or am I just a silly old fart after all…?
Rant over, enjoy your Mk1's everybody…mine's got electric windows in now so I'm happy!

Back to the top
Yep, got a workshop manual. Don't forget though, the Haynes manual was written over 20 years ago and in that time 'home' mechanics find new and simpler ways to do things. So, if someone on here has found an easier way to change the fan than take it down through the car (as indeed described in my trusty manual) I'm more than happy to give it a go - workshop manual or no workshop manual!!  :wink:

Back to the top
Yes, agree completely -sorry, didn't mean to cause offence, have to admit that I once managed to seize an engine after a rebuild (not on a VW!!!) because the Haynes thingy told me to put the thrust bearings in the wrong way round….so it's far better to go by experience if available.
I only wish this computer was as reliable as my Mk1, as I'm having serious problems with it which i can't fix! May have to throw it out of the window…that usually sorts em! (computers…not cars!)
Time for my medicine I think!

Back to the top
With the fan unit, are we talking abou the early fan motors, or later ones? I only have experience with the later type. There should be no need to remove the dash, make sure all 4 screws are undone around the houseing, this allows the houseing to be pushed down slightly, so makeing the fan motor slightly easier to get out from the top. Be patient with this method may take a while! Ive found the cabrolaits scuttle panel is slightly bigger on the passenger side so is alot easier to remove the motor than my caddys scuttle area, bit odd really. Im guesing though all standard mk1s are the same as the caddy scuttle area

Owner of:

1988 VW Caddy 1.6

www.vwcaddy.com

Back to the top
Its an interesting point about the Haynes manual, probably worth a separate thread. After a lot of time working on a particular make/model of car, you can see where the manual is lacking, or is overly cautious, or just goes down one path for 'how-to' do something. I've done a lot of stuff on my car and I've been able to try things in slightly different ways, for different jobs or groups of jobs. First you need to know the book, before you ignore it though!

Back to the top
Dead right! have to say though, that the 'new' manuals are even worse than the old ones - i have one for a Mk3 Golf which is rubbish - it tries to cover too much, where the early ones dealt with diesels in a separate manual. 've ended up referring to my Mk2 manual when working on the Mk 3 because it is so lacking!
Anyway, the Mk1 Haynes is fairly clear, so I'll stick with it -i believe the Bentley ones are supposed to be better…but never used them. i thinkl i used to have a Peter Russeck manual (or soemthing???) which was quite useful too, but let it go with my first Mk 1, thinking i wouldn't need it again….ha!

Back to the top
I have a Merc W124 and the Haynes manual for it woeful. Luckily, the one for the Golf isn't too bad, I couldn't really be objective about it because these days I never use it, just occasionally look up torque values.

Back to the top
My fan is on a 1983 Mk1 Campaign. I'll give it a go taking out from the engine bay - much easier that way.

The Haynes manula is OK as a starting point, but so much of what I do on the car is from common sense or tips from this website. It definately has its place, but it can be difficult to follow at times be cause it lacks detail/diagrams. Still, saved me loads of ?s over the years!!
 :lol:

Back to the top
help!!!! iv got the same problem, as my blowers aint working - i aint got round to buying a haynes yet, and i firstly went to check the fuse, the fuse cover panel where it usually tells you which fuse has which circuit ttached is all in german???? i looked up the german for blower and blower motor but neither appear on the panel……also im pretty sure it is the motor thats gone as it was making a funny noise, but my car hasnt got a scuttle tray…..could this have caused the motor to get water damaged??? if so il need a new scuttle tray or the same thing will happen to new 1….

you said you got a new fan assembly from GSF…..? have u still got the part number?

cheers

Back to the top

Scuttle Tray problems

Yes, the scuttle tray is also necessary to stop water getting inside the car via the heater fan opening...have you got wet feet/carpets as well? The tray is incredibly flimsy on Mk1s and early mk2s, and made of very brittle thin plastic. Even when it is in place it often gets cracked and allows water into the car.....Has anybody come up with a suitable replacement which is less flimsy...off some other vehicle for example, to avoid this problem? Otherwise, you can certainly make a more durable and effective cover out of black builders type plastic sheeting which will do the job..

Back to the top
wow i must be lucky cuz i brought the car about 3 months ago now and it never had a scuttle tray but even with all the rain it so far aint made its way into the car. Why? I have no idea but il be rushing out to buy 1. Do gsf do them does any1 know?

Back to the top
Just to add - if you can get the fan out from the engine side, you must be related to Harry Houdini. I spent an hour trying to get it out and bar bending the scuttle tray beyond recognition, it cannot be done - YOU HAVE TO DROP IT DOWN THROUGH THE INSIDE OF THE CAR!

One point as well. If you do get a fan from GSF, the connectors are slightly different from the original - no major dramas. woza kindly sent me photos, but basically;

Brown wire on GSF fan –> brown wire from original wiring
Red wire on GSF fan –> two yellow wire connector on original wiring

PM me your email address if you need photo!

Cheers
 :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.