Skip navigation

Still runs rough after so much work

Back to the top

Bad idle, stalling, smoke

Took apart the distributor, thoroughly cleaned it. Made a slight improvement in my opinion, at least the car doesn't stall at junctions anymore, still a bit rough.

cedar Went to check this morning: there is still play on the shaft, in all directions (even some in the axis towards the engine) there's also some play on the rotor arm (don't know if that's common or suggests a worn groove).
I set the points as best I can with a feeler gauge to about 0.40mm. I always find setting the points to be a bit tricky.
In my case it doesn't correct the slack on the spindle.

Anyway… my spare distributor also seems to be leaking oil inside and seeing that I can't find a rebuild-kit it's starting to look like I might have to spend some big bucks on this one… quite a shame new 1.1 distributors are so hard to come by, if it's a part prone to wear then there must be a lot more people needing one at some point.
Think I'll order one… If it solves the problems: I'm one happy guy. If it doesn't: I have a new shiny ornament on my shelf.

Back to the top
Update: The only new distributor available online was bought only hours before I was going to… so found myself a company selling seal rings and assembled the distributor again. Oil is gone, no improvement though. Spoke to a garage owner who has done nothing but Mk1's his whole life and he told me my distributor didn't have a suspicious amount of slack…

So back to square one. 
I found someone who can help me with ultrasonically cleaning my carb… however… there's this 'umbrella shaped silicone valve' inside my carb and they're very brittle. They don't sell them in the Solex service-kits so I might have to find an alternative.
It's like this one: PCS02 Pierburg 2E2 2E3 carburettor one way valve - Classic Carbs UK

It looks exactly like this shape but there aren't 'Solex specific-ones' so it's a bit of a gamble: Holley 26-41 Umbrella Check Valve

I'm also letting the crankcase breather (filter) soak in petrol for a day or two because I was told the breather can also cause running problems.
Will post another update as soon as parts are in/progress is being made.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.