Skip navigation

Mounting 044 pump in tank

Back to the top
Has anyone tried mounting an 044 in place of a cabby/Rocco lift pump?  

I have a carb tank and to me it seems the simplest way to add an injection pump, but maybe I am missing something?

Back to the top
Depends, as the lift pump on a Cabby pushes fuel to the sump/filter on the side of the tank. The OEM spec is 45psi and IIRC 30 Gallons per hour, Chatting with a fellow of good repute, he said that he had switched to a single pump on his digifant1…I bookmarked it in the back of my mind and on my bookmarks bar.

It is usually on CIS or Digifant cars from 84.5 to 93 in the US, and Euro not on Carbed cars.

Once upon a time I noticed that the main pump on a Digifant 90's car had the same Spec as the in-tank.  
Two weeks before Christmas, one of my rides decided to loose the main pump (children running at or below the red-line on the fuel gauge, stressing both pumps).

Found a Airtex pump the same size as my lift pump rated for submersion, and so I decided to strip the sump and all the hoses and filters.  

I installed the new pump in-tank, I had to cut the sender tube on the inside about 1 inch to get the proper length for the newer pump.  Replaced all the hoses from the return line and the main outlet I didn't use the sump.  A  new filter WIX was used as it had hose connections and not a screw fitting.  

Car ran better than ever, and the only issue that I ever had was that when you got 1/4 or lower (as my Daughters would do) the car would start to stall the engine on fast turns as the fuel was being moved away from the pickup.  

Once my Daughters experienced this I asked why don't you fill the tank up instead of driving it to the edge of reason.. The issue stopped.

The winning part is that a week before Christmas, and I spent a total of 80 bucks to have a running car.

WARNING: this will not work on a CIS, as the Primary pump is rated at 45psi in, and 75psi out.

See:

How to change your in-tank pump

1984.5-1993 mk1 How to change your in-tank fuel pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

How to convert Digifants to a single in-tank pump.

DigiFant Single Fuel Pump Conversion

My Additions to Rons guide.

A VERY big thank you to Tolusina | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.