Skip navigation

Rear axle mounts

Back to the top
I'm looking to re fit my rear axle and wonder which way I should press the bushes in to the hanger brackets.

Probably should of pictured that before stripping them down!

Also once the bushes are in which hanger goes to which side? Flat edges of the hanger outer or inner?

20220624_144644.jpg

1989 Paprika Red 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

Back to the top
Hi Ollie, if you check out my resto thread (link below in my signature), page 1 shows my rear axle on removal and page 4 shows it refurbed and ready for installation. Hope this helps.

Back to the top
Also, Google search is your friend. Just put Mk1 Golf at the front of your search and it normally throws up a list from this forum. There's loads of info on here, it's an invaluable library for Mk1 owners.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=technical%2Frunning-gear_2%2Fwhich-way-round

Back to the top
Hi Pistol,

Thanks for the advice, what a great thread you have created and a beautiful car.

I'm further on now and looking to put parts back on today hopefully.

Back to the top
I have the same issue of not knowing which way to insert  the bush! Why that can't include a simple diagram! 284220B0-C678-4B6C-B95D-2F2BE664B436.jpeg BE30D7CF-E7A0-4F78-8B6C-E744BA90E785.jpeg

Back to the top
Daz,

I've put a standard set on mine, not sure what you have there but the washers married up with a slightly more dished shape fitting better to the bush…if that makes sense. Don't think it would make much difference as long as you can get it all back together and torque it right.

Good luck

Back to the top
Insert the rounded end in to the mount on the right side of the mount in picture 1.  Use Grease in the mount to ease the thing in.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Ollie 55 said

Daz,

I've put a standard set on mine, not sure what you have there but the washers married up with a slightly more dished shape fitting better to the bush…if that makes sense. Don't think it would make much difference as long as you can get it all back together and torque it right.

Good luck

They are super pro poly bushes, I agree I don't know if it would make a difference but I thought I'd ask before getting it wrong. 🤯

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Insert the rounded end in to the mount on the right side of the mount in picture 1.  Use Grease in the mount to ease the thing in.

I had a go and failed massively!

I used a threaded bar to pull them in but they refused and just squashed 😂 

Back to the top
Briano just 'ease' doesn't happen with my project  :lol:

Back to the top
You need 2 large fender washers that are larger than the bushing.

1 bolt that is 2 1/2 times the length of the Bushing.
1 Nut that fits the bolt.
One large Socket that fits over the mount hole and has some room to spare.

Grease the inside of the mount and the bolt.
Place the Bushing in the hole, place a large fender washer on top, insert the bolt through the bushing and
Insert the bush into the mount, then place a washer on the other end and a nut.

Start turning the nut or the bolt and old the other end with a ratchet and or Vice-Grip.

Keep turning until the mount and bushing are all the way down, remove the nut, and washer, replace with the socket, add the washer and nut and finish tightening until the bush is fully through.

Greasing the bolt really helps, similar to replacing the front wheel bearings on the car.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

You need 2 large fender washers that are larger than the bushing.

1 bolt that is 2 1/2 times the length of the Bushing.
1 Nut that fits the bolt.
One large Socket that fits over the mount hole and has some room to spare.

Grease the inside of the mount and the bolt.
Place the Bushing in the hole, place a large fender washer on top, insert the bolt through the bushing and
Insert the bush into the mount, then place a washer on the other end and a nut.

Start turning the nut or the bolt and old the other end with a ratchet and or Vice-Grip.

Keep turning until the mount and bushing are all the way down, remove the nut, and washer, replace with the socket, add the washer and nut and finish tightening until the bush is fully through.

Greasing the bolt really helps, similar to replacing the front wheel bearings on the car.

Yep did that and didn't work, the bush just squashed versus sliding in.

Same way I get bearings to sit in too.

Back to the top
You may need to have it locked into a vice and use a pry bar or large blunt flat head screw driver to push the end of the bush into the mount hole when it's just starting to get squashed by the threaded bar and big washer.

Be very careful not to poke a hole in the bush when pushing the edge into the mount hole.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

You may need to have it locked into a vice and use a pry bar or large blunt flat head screw driver to push the end of the bush into the mount hole when it's just starting to get squashed by the threaded bar and big washer.

Be very careful not to poke a hole in the bush when pushing the edge into the mount hole.

I agree, probably not help with them been stiffer bushes.

Back to the top
Is there not a metal insert in the bush? I can't work out in my head how the bush is just getting squished if it has the metal insert in it.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
From memory the metal bush is removed from the polly first or you,ll never get it in, think they are bonded in the rubber ones but thats much more flexible..

Back to the top
Here is one i fitted a few years ago.  EDIT,   The slimy looking stuff is the included lubricant which helps..

DSCF2786.JPG

Last edit: by abfmk1

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

From memory the metal bush is removed from the polly first or you,ll never get it in, think they are bonded in the rubber ones but thats much more flexible..

abfmk1 said

Here is one i fitted a few years ago.

DSCF2786.JPG

That explains the difficulty… Way to clarify.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Makes sense!
I can't remember where mine where from (I bought and fitted them when I first started my project back in the dawn of time!) but they were 2 piece so dead easy to fit!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

Is there not a metal insert in the bush? I can't work out in my head how the bush is just getting squished if it has the metal insert in it.

I've not tried with the metal insert in as that wouldn't allow it to compact.

Got them in in the end.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.