Skip navigation

Golf GTI Campaign G60 Rebuild

Back to the top
As I am about to embark into the unknown, I thought it might be a good idea to document the rebuild and all the stress and hardship that goes with it.

So this is how she looked prior to the strip down…

It's not uploading some of the pictures, so I'll try and sort that out tonight.

The current spec is as follows along with the scope of work to be carried out:

Engine is a 1H G60 with a Stage 4 charger, Piper camshaft, 68mm pulley and (I think) a Jabbasport chip.
02Y gearbox with modified 4th & 5th gear and a Quaife LSD fitted.
The suspension is Weitec coil-overs and fully polly bushed.
Eibach anti-roll bars front & rear.
4 branch manifold with a Mongoose exhaust.
Standard interior except for electric 2 way Recaro's from the Corrado.

Scope of work to be done:

Full bare shell strip down, panel repairs and replace if necessary with original panels, where available.
Inside out respray in factory Helios Blue.
Engine stripped and rebuilt with strengthened internals.
Motec M84 ECU with sequential injection and custom map.
Motec PDM32 plus full motorsport - level 2 wiring loom.
02A CTN gearbox with hydraulic clutch conversion.
Full stainless steel coated PTFE fuel lines.
Suspension, either Bilstein B12 Pro kit or KW V series coil-overs - TBC.
Keeping the Eibach anti-roll bars.

That's about it for now, I'm sure I will change things as we go along. Hopefully, i don't find any really bad points and so it should be quite a straight forward process.

Mk1 Golf GTI G60 Campaign |  Helios Blue

New Build thread here

Back to the top
IMG_7806.JPG
PHOTO-2022-05-23-09-38-35 2.jpg
PHOTO-2022-05-23-09-38-35.jpg
PHOTO-2022-05-23-09-38-36.jpg
PHOTO-2022-05-23-11-05-33.jpg
PHOTO-2022-05-23-11-05-34.jpg

New Build thread here

Back to the top
"Quick Update"

We're in the process of mapping out the new loom, we've decided to go for 2 x Motec PDM16 rather than the one PDM 32.

This should help spread the hi-load requirements and free up some space for other additions should the need arise.

More pics coming soon!

New Build thread here

Back to the top
Finally found the problem with some of the photos not uploading, so here is the car prior to strip down…

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

IMG_7721.JPG

IMG_7806.JPG

And finally, here's the engine bay with the previous installation of the G60 motor.

6.jpg

New Build thread here

Back to the top
Doesn't look like it needs a re-spray, looks lovely!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
I love your electronic hardware! Are you going to build motorsport wiring loom? Let me know if you need any support with Raychem, Deutsch products purchase.

Back to the top

paceman said

Doesn't look like it needs a re-spray, looks lovely!
Thanks paceman, it does look nice in the pics, but there are places where rust is starting to pop up plus the arches need attending to. The wiring loom is in a sorry state too, so I thought it's best to get a new bespoke setup. Since it's going through all this, thought I might as well do it properly.

.wide said

I love your electronic hardware! Are you going to build motorsport wiring loom? Let me know if you need any support with Raychem, Deutsch products purchase.
It is a motorsport loom in a sense. The wiring is all motorsport grade, but connectors, where possible, will be upgraded standard type. The idea is to build a car for the road that will last and do the miles. Not looking for a race car.

New Build thread here

Back to the top
"New Update"

So progress is going well on the wiring loom. The dashboard wiring is almost complete.

We have split the two PDM's between interior electrics and the other will take care of all the engine and fuelling needs.

IMG_7824.jpeg

IMG_7825.jpeg

IMG_7826.jpeg

IMG_7827.jpeg

Here are the two PDM units being configured.

2e44d691-63fb-4b31-95fa-a026003fccc4.JPG

571fd89f-63f4-41a2-b01b-e8669327398a.JPG

The 15 button MoTec keypad will optional functions to certain systems and will also act as a warning panel for any failure's which might occur.

a255a9c5-931f-41f9-a655-fe1b56b45a2b.JPG

Here's some more closer pictures of the shell, all looks ok except for the N/S A pillar behind the lower dash. Some heavy use of sealant, I'm dreading to think what's underneath that!

IMG_7838.jpeg

IMG_7833.jpeg

IMG_7835.jpeg

IMG_7837.jpeg

Once the loom is finished, it will be engine bay next. Need to see where everything will go. I want to remove the brake bar, someone told me there is a kit which moves the servo to the right side. I'm sure there is no room for that, so I'm thinking a remote servo setup might be best.

New Build thread here

Back to the top
Some more work on the loom last week. It's getting there!

40.JPG

39.JPG

37.JPG

36.JPG

That is the interior loom almost done. Now on to the engine bay loom and the ECU.

41.JPG

Lot's of parts have been arriving. Among them, this turned up…love a bit of retro  :thumbs:

43.JPG

New Build thread here

Back to the top
I love it! Are you using kevlar lace? I can't see on photos.

Back to the top

.wide said

I love it! Are you using kevlar lace? I can't see on photos.

Hi .wide, yes definitely. Kevlar lace used throughout.

New Build thread here

Back to the top
Finally on to the engine loom routing.

48.jpg

47.JPG

Some parts parts arrived today, but the one I was excited about was this…

52.JPG

51.JPG

Looks a quality piece of kit. It's a shame it's a long way from being fitted  :'(

And finally the engine is out too. Next week will be a complete strip down and then decide what I will do with it. Any suggestions will be very welcome.

46.JPG

The internals should be in good shape (he says). I would love to get a 2.0L stroker kit, depending on the cost of course. Once it's stripped, I'll have a better idea but as said, any suggestions welcome.

New Build thread here

Back to the top
Another goodie package arrived today…

53.jpg

54.JPG

New Build thread here

Back to the top
It's been a while, not done anything during the summer/autumn and also been waiting to source some parts. Thankfully back on track now.

So after speaking with John @ John Mitchell racing (JMR), it was decided that the best complement to the engine build would be an 02A CTN/ASD gearbox.

John searched everywhere to source one, they are becoming pretty rare now. Finally managed to source an 02A ASD box and the rebuild began.

A Quaife limited slip differential was fitted with ARP crown wheel bolts and a JMR lightened and balanced flywheel supplied along with all the required ancillaries. Finally a JMR supplied Sachs VR6 clutch kit.

All crated and ready to be shipped!

55.JPG

56.JPG

57.JPG

As you can see, John's woodworking skills are brilliant too  :lol:

I can't thank John and the whole JMR team enough for their vast knowledge and assistance. Especially their patience to put up with me. John has got to be one of the nicest guys in this industry!

New Build thread here

Back to the top
Finally she's off for the rest of the mechanical parts to be removed, stripped completely, repaired and painted.

58.JPG

59.JPG

As you can see, the arches have been butchered, so new  original front wings and repair panels for the rear will be going on.

62.JPG

65.JPG

New Build thread here

Back to the top
How's this project coming along?

Back to the top

paceman said

How's this project coming along?

My apologies, it's been too long for an update. The project was on hold for a long time, but hopefully' I'll have some updates very soon.

New Build thread here

Back to the top
It happens to the best of us! Just enjoyed reading where this was headed.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.