Skip navigation

My new Christmas Cabrio CC - opinions and questions

Back to the top
Hi everyone  

Firstly thanks for having me on the forum ! I've just bought a Jan 86 GTI cc which is my first foray into old golfs. I'm super happy with my purchase, paid what I was happy to pay, and looking forward to learning more about it. 37K miles supported by loads of paperwork and MOTs back to 1991. No rust at all, have seen underneath.  Was a fun 80 mile drive home - probably the longest journey it's done in years !

Secondly, I always try to come to a forum having done some reading before asking questions ! This forum is an amazing wealth of knowledge. For example, I know what cc really stands for, so that seems to make me pass the first test :) So from my reading I think this is a "Lady Sunshine" model Cc, based on the interior which is white seats and door cards and black carpets. (All be it someones redone the seat middles in horrible blue which looks like a bus - will be changed asap! White leather / vinyl is original and present). Jan 86 seems to fit. Someone added GTI grill and bumper 'spoiler' I think - and why not !

Whats different though is that it has the blue cc logo original roof, which I believe is rare especially in this excellent condition ! But the roof would have been white wouldnt it ? I can only think this is original to car - wouldnt make sense for it to be added later as a replacement if original White hood deteriorated etc ? Dealer request maybe when new - original owner wanted the white interior with blue roof ?

Also on the Lady Charme model, which has same roof as mine but blue interior, all the door cards and seats have the Cc logo. I cant find any pics of the all white sunshine Cc interior that has the logos - mine doesnt. It also doesnt have Cc decal on the side of car. Is this normal?

Did they do a non CC edition, all white edition at the same time ? Or are they one and the same?

Last question is on wheels - Ive seen these wheels in photos of the Lady Sunshine / white edition so assume theyre period correct and likely original ? Inner caps have been replaced but not painted I'm told. 

What do we think then folks? A quirky dealer request car or a bit of a Franken Cab :p ?  Hope a few of you can chime in and help me learn more :)

Thanks, Alex

89817E62-00E0-4641-9CED-E071169ACBD1.jpeg

13776EA5-9039-43CD-A051-02E5999DE6E0.jpeg

1880E128-E735-4A65-8AA0-699DA1E2220F.jpeg

B803798B-5360-4B40-A95F-DBF7807C731F.jpeg

3C143AB6-20E6-4C9D-BD0D-EA956084F4BC.jpeg

C0C8915F-C0F1-4769-932E-75C25BED6165.jpeg

5D9A1758-CBA7-4B8C-BE6E-90CE22FE38E2.jpeg

Back to the top
There were  3 version of the Christmas Cabriolet 
Little miss  sunshine
Lady Charme
And Mr Moon which was blue
They were produced to reflect various seasons iirc.
The headliner, seats, door  cards and hood would of have the CC embossed into them.
The hood would of been blue on all versions.
Your door cards look to be from a triple white  and are not CC ones  
Don't be taken in when people argue that the CC is a Coco Channel edition. It is not  channel never collaborated with VW in any car designs.
The story comes from apparently rouge salesmen who offered bottles of channel when a CC was bought under the guise it was coco Chanel 

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
You're also missing the CC decals off the car too.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Hi thanks for the replies. 

I know cc is nothing to do with Chanel :)

From other threads on this forum I read that the sunshine model is all white including the door cards, seats and hood. In the cc catalog on this forum there is a picture of it with the white hood and while you can't see the detail you can see the white door card and seat. 

But the only shots of a cc interior I can find are blue. I'd like to see what an all white / "sunshine" cc interior looks like if it's all logoed up, can't find an image anywhere. And also understand why mine has the blue cc logo hood with the white interior (even if it turns out it's not a cc interior - still a different combo)

9F96ED1B-6F59-48F2-8BA6-C645581CA8C0.jpeg

Back to the top
No one any info that could help?

Back to the top
A friend had one about 30 years ago and that's the one  I've ever seen so other than the brochures on this web site is the only help I can offer….

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=galleries&type=misc&id=cabriolets

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply Mark. 

It looks like a dealer request I guess. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.