Skip navigation

Front suspension springs turning ?

Back to the top
Probably a stupid question. Changed the springs on the front of the Golf. Turned the wheel to check all is okay, and looks like the top nut on the suspension mount under the engine bay is turning with the wheels? Should this be solid? I did turn up with an Allen key in the centre of the spring and tightened the nut. Not sure what else I can do.

Back to the top

I’ve done this before-you’ve most likely missed the spacer tube, aka strut top bearing, that goes inside the top mount and allows the damper to turn in the top mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

Actually re-reading your post, yes it should turn with the wheels. If it didn’t the spring would have to turn in the cup and the steering would bind (as mine did)

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

Mike 16vG60 said

I’ve done this before-you’ve most likely missed the spacer tube, aka strut top bearing, that goes inside the top mount and allows the damper to turn in the top mount

Interesting. Will take a look in the daylight, but they came as a sealed unit, do if they're missing. It's a good chance the springs never had one in the first place!

Back to the top

Mike 16vG60 said

Actually re-reading your post, yes it should turn with the wheels. If it didn’t the spring would have to turn in the cup and the steering would bind (as mine did)

Ah missed this post! That makes more sense, thanks for the reply! Will double check tomorrow morning to be certain!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.