Skip navigation

Is a 1.6 GTI Engine the same size as a 1.8

Back to the top
Afternoon all,

I’ve got a chance to pick up a Mk1 GTI tin top, but it doesn’t come with the original 1.6 engine. It’s coming fitted with a 1.8 engine.

I want to rebuild the car to as near the original factory spec so would want to put a 1.6 engine back in it.

Is it a simple changeover of the engine and gearbox or is more to it (I’m not a mechanic!)?

If I left the car fitted with the 1.8 engine will it affect the value?

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
What year is the car as later tin tops did come with the 1.8 engine fitted as standard.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

It’s an ‘82. The engine number from the online search starts with EG, hence the ‘82. The engine with it now is a DX.

Back to the top
Is there a build label in the boot of the car as that should say what engine was in there.
Also what's on the log book?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

Just asked.

Would you take the car as us to rebuild and can a 1.6 be easily fitted.

Back to the top
I do think the 1982 tin tops came with the 1.8 DX engine.

Just found this info and it seems up to 1981 cars had the EG engine and the last cars had the DX engine.

Engine Conversions - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
The 1.8 is a better engine to live with as the max torque is lower down the rev range so you don't have to be reving hard to get the most out of it.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I do think the 1982 tin tops came with the 1.8 DX engine.

Just found this info and it seems up to 1981 cars had the EG engine and the last cars had the DX engine.

Engine Conversions - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

The 1.8 started with the 1983 model year which started production in Aug 1982 (going back to the summer factory shut down) So all 1.8s should be Y and A reg. Some 1.6 made in June/July 82 will have been reg'd in the UK as a Y reg.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

This is what I’ve had back of the search I’ve done. Also, it’s a 1.6 on the DVLA website.

Back to the top
All the engine and gearbox mounts are the same as far as I know so it wouldn't be very hard to swap a 1.6 in.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

So, what’s the consensus on the engine not being the original?

Does many of the tin top rebuilds on here have the original engine?

Thanks,

Matt

Back to the top

matgent said

So, what’s the consensus on the engine not being the original?

Does many of the tin top rebuilds on here have the original engine?

Thanks,

Matt

Looking like it was a 1.6EG, ideally you need to get the reg date (assuming its a UK car and not an import) and/or the hand book/boot sticker that will have the engine code on them.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I don't think it will make any difference to the value of the car if it's got a 1.8 or 1.6 as it's not the matching number engine it left the factory with, it's easy to change the spec with the DVLA and who ever did and engine swop should of changed the log book to a 1.8.

The only way you can tell what was fitted from new is from the build sticker or contact VW and get a copy of the build specs.

At the end of the day it's your car and do what you feel is right.

Back to the top
The 1.8 came with the mfa. The 1.6 didn't. You can get both 1.6 and 1.8 upto 83.
The EG1.6 gearbox code for a GTI is FM. The 1.8 '82 /'83 is a 7G or 9A if Campaign on 14" wheels. Ratios are the same but the final drive ratio is taller on the 1.8 compared to the 1.6. If you go back to the 1.6 gearbox you would need to change the gear on the end of the speedo cable as it is a different ratio to match the final drive.

Back to the top

Thanks all for the advice

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.