Skip navigation

Mk 1 golf engine/gearbox

Back to the top
Hi I have just purchased a 1983 mk1 1.8 gti less engine and gearbox would anyone know what the original engine and gearbox codes would have been as I need to buy both 

Back to the top
I have an AEN gearbox for sale that will fit. It was removed from a J plate Golf GTI cabriolet and I believe the same code was fitted to Mk2 GTI's just with different size flanges.

Back to the top
Engine 1.8 DX, gearbox 7G or last ones (Campaigns with 14 inch wheels?) 9A (not to be confused with the later 'big block' 9A engine)

If you are not bothered about originality you can pick and mix engine/GB from any post MK1 Golf or many VW-Audi with varying degrees of work/modifications/hassle required

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Tanks for the replying but I want to keep this as original as possible as the body is in amazing condition 

Back to the top
Strange someone would do that to a MK1 with a good body.

Unless you can find a rotten GTI with a good engine/box (which will still be a £3,000+ restoration project to someone) I fear you may struggle to find a good engine/kjet system that doesn't need totally rebuilding with them being nearly 40yrs and 100,000s miles old.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
DSCF2715.JPG I have

Last edit: by abfmk1

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.