Skip navigation

Hello everyone!

Back to the top

Need some help and advice!

Hi everyone, I am a total newbie so sorry if this post is in the wrong place. Wanted to say hi to you all, i have just bought an '83 Golf 1.5 GL, just like the one i had 25 years ago, except this one needs work!
It is a complete car, all body trim is there, seats aren't torn or worn, it's got an MOT and i drove it back from birmingham to my place, about 140 miles, with no problems.
However, being the beige/gold colour with the brown interior i am having serious trouble finding some interior trim. The dash is all there but its sagging slightly on the right which has distorted the right air vent which has unfortunately broken the plastic adjustable vent, need one of those. The ashtray and cigerette mounting in the dash is broken in half, and seems to be missing whatever stops the ashtray from being pulled completely out! The interior door latches are fine but the plastic surrounds are nasty, can only find black ones online, mine are brown. I will be removing the dash prior to having the car sprayed, so i was wondering if there is some way to correct the sagging? It seems to be a problem with old golfs, looked at several online and lots have the same issue, is there a fix for this that anyone has come up with?
Any help or advice is hugely appreciated!!!!

Back to the top
Welcome to the club m… and even more exclusively The Brown Interior Club!! 😎

Around 2008 loads of people went with the cream exterior/ brown interior theme and used up loads of parts so there's a shortage of bits (I've found). 

For the nasty door pull surrounds, try one of those shoeshine sponges. It brought my centre console up a treat. 

I know of a brown ashtray surround that's due to be advertised but it's not got the actual cigarette lighter socket in it, you'd have to swap it over. Do you need the tray as well?? 

Dan

Back to the top
hi dan!
Thanks for the tip about the door pull surrounds, unfortunately mine are cracked and damaged, but amazingly i found 2 NOS on ebay right after making the post!!!
As for the brown ashtray surround i definately need that, i have a new cigarette lighter on order and my ashtray is in good shape so just need the surround.
Any idea how much that item is?
Thank you so much
Phil

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.